Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 14,821 times

Advertisements

I've been working with a Realtor for about 2 months, I'm not 100% satisfied with his services but he's shown me about 20 houses total, and I have a contract with him that expires at the end of the year.

I recently found a house on my own, the sellers don't want to use a Realtor and they are giving us a better price as long as we don't use one. We trust the sellers, they haven't listed their house yet and don't want to pay a Realtor fee since they already found a buyer.

Am I obliged to use my Realtor? How can I compensate him for his service? I cannot afford to pay him more than 1k on this transaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 08:13 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
If you have a contract with him, likely he is due a commission even if you "found" the house on your own. Have you ever bought or sold a house before? Are you really comfortable letting the Seller call all the shots with no regard for your interests? (trust me, they are looking out for their interests, not yours) Not to say they're crooks or anything but it's only natural that they will write up a contract that pleases them.

Why are you dissatisfied with your realtor, exactly? Have you talked to him about these issues?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:45 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
If the house isn't listed yet how do you know they are giving you a better price?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
You need to speak to your agent. Finding the property is the least important action. Getting it for the right price, getting the financing in order, the inspection issues resloved, the insurance and getting to closing is.

It does not matter that the seller does not want to pay a commission. If you are obligated, then you put it in the offer. No seller in this market says no way I am not paying closing costs.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
There's a ton of posts about this already. Just do a quick search.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:33 PM

134 posts, read 329,645 times
When I was looking for a place to rent I established a relationship with a Realtor who had a listing that I wanted to look at. After that listing didn't work out for me and my fiancee she kept showing us rental after rental, traveling around St. Augustine on her own dime, spending her evenings showing me rentals. After we could not find a rental that suited our needs we got a pre-qual and started looking at properties to purchase. We signed a contract on a short sale, only to wait 3 months and find out from our Realtor that the mortgage was sold while we were waiting. We ran out of time and rented a town home that her friend owned on a month to month basis.

Real estate is a passion of mine so I am always looking at properties. Some months down the road I found a new spec home that had a huge price reduction and the builder was offering huge incentives so I called her up and asked her to take us to look at it since Realtors need to accompany the potential buyer to the first meeting to get commission.

I had signed no buyers agent contract and was under no obligation to have her represent me but she did so much work us I wanted to make sure she got the commission on this sale. We ended up purchasing the house and my Realtor got her commission. I was more than happy to repay all of the hard work she did.

Cliffs = Realtors work hard for their commission, don't rob your Realtor of theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals