Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:23 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,039,712 times

Advertisements

As others have mentioned, I would imagine your MLS has some sort of "history" screen for the listing which shows the change with a time & date stamp. If it doesn't and you don't have a copy of the listing showing the old co-operating compensation level then I would call up your MLS to see if they can provide you a history in writing showing when that change was made.

Once you have some proof, the next thing I would do is compose a very nice email to the listing agent telling them that you expect to be paid the original compensation amount. You are not responsible for this other agent's type-o's or procrastinations. You should be paid whatever compensation level MLS read at the time the contract was signed. If you get push back from this agent, I would call their broker. If you get push back from the broker, call your MLS and local Realtor board (if this agent is a member) and register a complaint. I know my MLS has levied some pretty substantial fines on agents who don't follow the rules they agreed to when joining the MLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 AM

66 posts, read 146,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
In my MLS, there is a "history" screen that can be printed out for a listing that shows exactly when a change took place, so we could see that the "commission to coop broker" was changed (although not what the change was) on November 1st at 3:42 PM, for example. If you don't have that option, maybe your MLS could pull it up and give you something stating when the change was made.
In FL MLS, there is no a "history" to do that like yours, If I had not kept a copy, how could I prove the listing agent changed it?

Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post

What does the commission agreement say? In our state, we have a separate commission agreement that details commission splits, who's paying for what, etc.
We dont have commission agreement for buyer's agent with lisitng agent or seller. Do we? In FL?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:15 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,488,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksinlake View Post
In FL MLS, there is no a "history" to do that like yours, If I had not kept a copy, how could I prove the listing agent changed it?
Call your local MLS office and ask them to print something out for you showing the time of change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksinlake View Post
We dont have commission agreement for buyer's agent with lisitng agent or seller. Do we? In FL?
Hopefully someone from Florida can answer this for you. In Idaho, we have a form, but only use it on FSBOs, not on MLS listed properties. So every state is different.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:13 AM

6,486 posts, read 10,363,068 times
In Florida, at least in my market, all new listings require a listing agreement to be filed with the local MLS which clearly stipulates the commissions for both sides. I can't say for certain if it is different for the OP's local MLS.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 AM

6,486 posts, read 10,363,068 times
Quote:
Call your local MLS office and ask them to print something out for you showing the time of change.
Good suggestion. The exception is when a realtor makes a listing change. Short of a price change, no guarantees that the local MLS will have a record of it. As I mentioned earlier, the OP should contact their broker first. After all, the broker/office will lose part of their cut of the commission (2.5% instead of 3% commission). I think the OP's broker should have a chat with the other broker to figure this out. Nobody likes to give up any part of their commission unless it is necessary to close the deal.

In post #9, 1insider related an almost identical situation and explained the outcome.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 11-05-2013 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,488,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Good suggestion. The exception is when a realtor makes a listing change. Short of a price change, no guarantees that the local MLS will have a record of it. As I mentioned earlier, the OP should contact their broker first. After all, the broker/office will lose part of their cut of the commission (2.5% instead of 3% commission). I think the OP's broker should have a chat with the other broker to figure this out. Nobody likes to give up any part of their commission unless it is necessary to close the deal.

In post #9, 1insider related an almost identical situation and explained the outcome.
Sure there are no guarantees that the OP's MLS tracks this, but many do, so it is worth asking. My area the MLS tracks ALL changes to any category. I think that is more the norm than not tracking anything but price changes.

I'm not saying to not have the brokers get involved, but I think having as much information as possible to have an intelligent conversation would be helpful. Something that shows that the commission was previously higher and was changed.

I guess you could have the brokers talk first, and then if the broker denies that it was listed higher, you could go to MLS afterward to see what you can find out. But what happens if the OP just read it wrong and missed that it really was just 2.5% all along? Then the broker has confronted another broker for no reason and looks stupid. I just prefer to have ducks in a row before calling someone to complain.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,039,712 times
Quote:

I definitely think the OP should contact their MLS first to see if there is a record of the change in the system. You're not going to get far with anyone without any proof that the commission rate was changed. Perhaps, the OP does not remember correctly. I wouldn't want to start a big stink about this only to have egg on my face in the end.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
But what happens if the OP just read it wrong and missed that it really was just 2.5% all along? Then the broker has confronted another broker for no reason and looks stupid. I just prefer to have ducks in a row before calling someone to complain.
No I did not read it wrong, Actually I printed it out at the day when I place offer and I printed it out again when we ordered the appraisal, then I find out the commission has been changed. I just curious what happens if I had not printed it out.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:02 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
From my experience as a FL Realtor, the commission is set when originally listed and any reduction of commission would require approval from both the seller's and buyer's agents. I would check with you broker first as all Florida Realtors work under a broker's license/office.
Not exactly. We have changed the commission after a deal fell through and the buyer's agent came back 2 days later and a new contract was entered but we had lowered the commission for the selling agent and they protested but we knew they would come back and we were handling both sides since the selling side was so badly handled that the buyer wants us to handle everythign for him but due to them bringing us the client we had to pay them but we found it reasonable not to give up 3% but 2.5% and since the property status had been changed in between from active with contract to active again it was legal.

Otherwise it is illegal to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals