Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 05:46 PM

501 posts, read 1,051,509 times

Advertisements

We all make embarrassing mistakes in our line of work, so lets have a laugh! Share some of your embarrassing real estate stories.

Ill start:

I was showing a 1970's condo that was split into three levels. The garage was therefore very short, and my client drives a Nissan Titan. It looked like it would barely fit, and he asked if he could try to pull the vehicle in the garage. Everything told me to say no, but I went ahead and let him try, assuring him that I would guide him in. Everything looked good, maybe half an inch to spare between the top of his truck and the garage door and then.... a scratching noise of metal sliding against metal. I could not see that the top of his truck roof had a ridge, and hit the garage door. I felt like an idiot, and he got a nice scratch on the top of his truck. I apologized profusely, and offered multiple times to pay for it to be buffed out or fixed. Luckily he was jovial and just laughed it off, saying there was only one way to find out if it would fit. I was also lucky the garage door was fine.

Also, in the beginning of my career, I locked myself out of a house during a showing in a bad part of town. I was using a bluetooth supra, and closed up the lock box. I was heading out to my car and realized I had my phone, but not my keys.. where the FOB is. I ended up having to scale the back fence, and was able to go in the back door to retrieve my keys... since I neglected to lock it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 PM

174 posts, read 397,294 times
Speed Makes up for Clearance is what I would have told the client! LOL

I have the Iphone and the Supra FOB and always hate when you're trying to pair the two using Bluetooth. It always makes for interesting conversation at the front door when your waiting for the two to sync. Only once have I been thoroughly embarrassed waiting for them to pair only to get into Ekey and need the new listings to update with spotty cell service!

-Trent

Old 01-25-2014, 08:07 PM

A fellow agent in our office put a family in his car and drove 45 minutes to their favorite listing. Pulls out e-key app, and it won't update... because he forgot to pay his board dues... Locked him out of MLS too.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,054,284 times
I was showing a couple relocating from out of state a bunch of houses in a single day and after being out for a while the wife asked if she could use the bathroom in the house we had just arrived at. I said "OK" and she wandered off to find the guest bathroom. It was a pretty good size house which I had never been in before and so I was walking around throwing open doors and being Mr. Obvious: "this is a closet," "this is the office," etc. I threw open one door and there is my client sitting on the toilet with her pants around her ankles. Either the door lock didn't work or she forgot to engage it. Either way, it was pretty embarrassing for us both.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:13 AM

15,589 posts, read 40,484,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I was showing a couple relocating from out of state a bunch of houses in a single day and after being out for a while the wife asked if she could use the bathroom in the house we had just arrived at. I said "OK" and she wandered off to find the guest bathroom. It was a pretty good size house which I had never been in before and so I was walking around throwing open doors and being Mr. Obvious: "this is a closet," "this is the office," etc. I threw open one door and there is my client sitting on the toilet with her pants around her ankles. Either the door lock didn't work or she forgot to engage it. Either way, it was pretty embarrassing for us both.
Bwahahahaha...

I was showing some clients a vacant home during January and it was a cold day. I opened the Supra lockbox just to immediately drop the bottom that holds the key on the ground. The thing bounces and they key goes directly into a deep crack in the concrete right in front of the door. Not sure I could have made that shot by just dropping it myself.

So I'm using sticks, my plier tool on my Leatherman, my clients gum on a stick to try and grab the key. Nothing. After about 20 minutes of trying to get the key out, I walk over to the neighbors house (this is a small acreage area), tell him I'm showing the house next door, and I dropped the key in a crack in the pavement. I think I got the "agents are idiots look" from him as I asked for something long and thin that might have a hook on it. He had a really long camping stake that looked like it would work. Thankfully it did. I gave him back his hook, then opened the house. The smell hit us at the door and my clients walked out.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:32 AM

43,356 posts, read 77,240,687 times
I have a habit of "driving to the sign."
After a couple of experiences having a homeowner come through the door before I opened it, I learned to check the number of the house.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,812,132 times
Inbound relo, 15 showing appointments and a same day flight home.... In these situations, I name each house so that we have a trigger to remember.

At the last property, I left the car running, out front. And yeah, it ran out of gas and they missed their flight home. It became the " she ran out of gas" home.

They did decide to make an offer and buy the final property.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Inbound relo, 15 showing appointments and a same day flight home.... In these situations, I name each house so that we have a trigger to remember.

At the last property, I left the car running, out front. And yeah, it ran out of gas and they missed their flight home. It became the " she ran out of gas" home.

Ouch! But at least you still closed the sale! They sound like fun and understanding clients. Kudos on showing 15 properties in a day too.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:13 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,054,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Clearly a dirty real estate agent trick to get the buyer to stay at the property longer and fall in love with it!

Old 02-05-2014, 01:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,330,680 times
I just remembered this one;

I had a new agent in our small little town. She was having a beer with a friend and she commented to him about "The idiot that just spent $1.2 million on a ranch"

Her friend, who she did not know lived on the ranch, asked her if she wanted to meet the buyer.

"He's sitting right next to you, his name is George".

Red face, want to get away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals