Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:32 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times

Advertisements

Or am I too skeptical?
Took the house off the market 6 months ago, saying we MAY put it on again come spring.
Today, our old Realtor called and though its not listed,said she has people who have been by my house, saw a listing sheet and want to see it. Its "perfect for them". Remember, this is Feb. in Chicago land, not the best time for viewing and we have been delightfully lazy inside here.
Now, Spring is coming,so I assume its just another Realtor story and she just wants the listing again and to put her face/name back in our minds.
BUT, why take the chance, so as a 'just in case this is legit', I am again cleaning/organizing/buying fresh flowers etc like a crazy woman ( even though I am very sick)
Typical story? Could be? Or should I say screw it and go back to bed?'
And add also another usual suspect story,,they only have tomorrow to see it.

Thank you for any feed back.

PS, I really have NOTHING against Realtors, they usually earn their keep and hubby was one when we met several centuries ago, but this is our 6th house we have had on the market and the stories are getting familiar.

Last edited by nanannie; 02-15-2010 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 06:36 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Unfortunately, if all they've seen is the listing sheet, then it may not be so "perfect" for them when they see it in person. On the other hand, it may actually be the one they want. Their agent won't know for sure either until they see it, but hopefully she has a good idea of what they are looking for. If you want to sell, you have to play along and be ready to show.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
I can't speak for your situation, but I am spending a lot of time going back through the withdrawn and expired listings for a buyer with a specific set of needs. It's a pain in the you know what, but if there's nothing in the current inventory, I have to explore other possibilities. I hope it works out for you and isn't the waste of time you're dreading.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
I just did this today for two buyers. They want specific areas and I'm doing just want TampaKaren is doing, hitting the expired and withdrawn listings.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:07 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
Well, I'd sign an agreement with the agent - I'd want the people to see the house.
If you are not ready to put your house back on the market (your location in this time of year, I wouldn't be too excited about it) -- speak to the agent about a limited agreement, perhaps just allowing her to show the house to those people but not allowing any other marketing. It can be done.
Who knows if these folks will even like the house once they see it? I've had buyers beg to see a house and then walk out in 5 seconds saying it's a lousy house, etc. But, hey I think it's worth a shot. You never know.
Best of luck!!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Reality is that people even in the crappiest part of winter DO DEFINITELY get offers right now for desirable houses in desirable parts of Chicagoland.

A place right around the corner from my home was listed a few weeks ago and is under contract. It was "priced right" and has some 'features' that sorta scream "buy me know" (specifically spotless staging, lack of any similar inventory at the same price point...).

SO, while it is possible that the real estate agent that has contacted the OP is on a "fishing expedition" I would NOT assume that they are "making up the whole thing". Frankly if this potential buyer does not pan out I would be more than happy to suggest making your listing active, as long as numbers make sense for you.

The biggest number, of course, is can you afford to sell for what this 'buyer' (or others like them...) may want to offer, but the subtle influences of the tax credits and competing inventory (or, as above the lack of comparable homes...) should enter into your decision.

Good Luck!
(I've got my fingers crossed for you that this will work out)

Old 02-16-2010, 06:33 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Thank you all very much for your informative replies.
It would be a "pocket listing" in this one case.
The people have driven by the house, so know its location and exterior.There are alot of other houses in this range, but they need horse property(acerage),which I have.
If I didnt make the house show ready, or not take this showing serious and skip it, I would always wonder ''what if"? So, I will take a dose of medicine and get out the windex.
Again, my thanks to you all.

Last edited by nanannie; 02-16-2010 at 06:45 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 09:33 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
We've also been working expireds and withdrawn listings. To be honest, there are no listings near the $200K and less price point of any quality in my market area. Even the junk is getting second looks. I've also contacted several former sellers to see if they will let us show their homes.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 PM

166 posts, read 856,101 times
Same here. Inventory is down, nice homes are gone in a matter of a few days in many cases. Have buyers I can't find homes for. Have been through expired, withdrawn, many calls looking for hip pockets.

If you have horses then you know the choices for a buyer are slim. On the other hand, if the main selling point of your property is that very feature, it's a small pool of buyers that would be interested. If they've driven by and want to see it, I would definitely take the agent seriously and get the buyer in to see it - if you still want to sell it. Most horse people are more concerned with the horse facilities than they are the house. :-) (Yes, we have horses)

I'm in Central Illinois and have been very, very busy. Most clients are in a position to take advantage of the tax credits which means they have to have a valid, binding contract by the end of April on the house they are buying.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:41 AM

214 posts, read 650,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalLover View Post
Same here. Inventory is down, nice homes are gone in a matter of a few days in many cases. Have buyers I can't find homes for. Have been through expired, withdrawn, many calls looking for hip pockets.

If you have horses then you know the choices for a buyer are slim. On the other hand, if the main selling point of your property is that very feature, it's a small pool of buyers that would be interested. If they've driven by and want to see it, I would definitely take the agent seriously and get the buyer in to see it - if you still want to sell it. Most horse people are more concerned with the horse facilities than they are the house. :-) (Yes, we have horses)

I'm in Central Illinois and have been very, very busy. Most clients are in a position to take advantage of the tax credits which means they have to have a valid, binding contract by the end of April on the house they are buying.
Same situation down in Southern California...a lack inventory and very frustrated buyers. Decently priced listings fly into escrow within days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals