Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:04 AM

501 posts, read 1,053,678 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Last year was my first year in real estate. I did pretty well, considering my lack of experience in the industry. Last year, right before I was sponsored with the brokerage, my lead agent took me to the awards banquet. I saw many new agents getting awards for their production, and I instantly set a goal that I too wanted to obtain this during my first year.

Fast forward to last Friday. My year was complete, and I exceeded my goals. I was thrilled to receive my award, but when I sat down to the table, and picked up the event guide, I noticed that my name was absent from the list. I also noticed that instead of there being a team name for the platinum award, it was just my lead agents name. I started to get a little uneasy, and right before the awards were about to be presented, I asked him if we were going to go up on the stage as a team, like every other team receiving an award. He brushed it off and said that he would prefer to just go up there alone.

I also asked him about my individual award, and he said that since he dictated his name be on all of my buyer contracts, that none of my production was counted. He is going to change it going forward, and said "well there is always next year, awards dont matter anyways". Shortly thereafter, he took a picture of his award and posted it online.

I feel as if there might have been some purposeful subversion of my efforts. I am now wondering if he had me put his name on all the contracts so he looked even better to the brokerage. He did not even want to acknowledge that he had a buyer's agent, and that I contributed.

I guess when I look at it, it really is only an award, but I worked really hard to earn it, and it was a big motivator for me during my first year. I was feeling really let down after all of this, and spoke to a couple of my friends who are commercial brokers and agents. They were all shocked by this conduct, and said it was very unprofessional. All of them advised me to move on to another brokerage.

What are your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 AM

17,741 posts, read 29,997,660 times
Now, you know one of the reasons that agents change firms.
And, you just found out that someone is not a team leader.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM

15,617 posts, read 40,595,266 times
You need to move.

I honestly would never let any one take credit for my solds. Trulia and Zillow now allow sold stats and it matters to consumers. Right now it looks like you have never sold a home. I'm having more and more people ask me to pull my MLS stats up right in front of them so they can confirm them. What are you going to pull up?

The longer you stay with a team the more stuck you are in never leaving that model. If you ever wanted to leave a team or start your own brokerage you will have no solds to show your experience. Think about what your long term goals might be and make a choice from there.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:56 AM

I think that I am going to go talk to the broker on monday and discuss my feelings about it. I have all of the HUD-1s from my sales printed and in a folder (which show me as the agent).

He also makes me change all of the MLS sales to his name.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:18 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,809,156 times
No, not a good office for you to be in. Time to move on. You don't need this, it is doing nothing for your career. Talk to other brokerages and don't make excuses for this one. Your achievements need to count in your name alone.

While, yes, you will still be working for another, your individual name needs to be acknowledged as the listing or selling agent.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:58 PM

166 posts, read 413,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
.... " ... awards dont matter anyways". Shortly thereafter, he took a picture of his award and posted it online.
Oh really?!?! - if he didn't care then why did he make a presence at the award ceremony, take credit and use it for marketing purposes?!?! Actions speak louder than words.

I too would say its time to part ways. The longer you stay, the more dependent you shall be upon his model. Besides, your current sentiment will only continue to brew and may become distracting in your business. A change is as good as a rest!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarkaK9 View Post
Oh really?!?! - if he didn't care then why did he make a presence at the award ceremony, take credit and use it for marketing purposes?!?! Actions speak louder than words.

I too would say its time to part ways. The longer you stay, the more dependent you shall be upon his model. Besides, your current sentiment will only continue to brew and may become distracting in your business. A change is as good as a rest!
Wow, that last part really spoke to me. I really have felt like I need a rest, due to all of these circumstances, and his general attitude.

That was my exact though about the awards too, totally hypocritical in my opinion.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 AM

8,678 posts, read 22,997,416 times
I am surprised no one asked you the following and the answers are critical to your survival:

Did you join the team as a buyer's agent, to just handle calls from buyers without agent on this guy's listings?

How much of your business was 100% from your sphere of influence?

Removing that sphere, how much business did you do (on your own)?

These questions are really for you to ask yourself. I know of a team lead right now that is preparing to put up at least 2 dozen on the market for sale (ranked top 50 @ KW). One of his buyer agents has gone thru the exact same reaction that you are experiencing, but guess what? They needed those leads from those listings to survive. They moved on and are struggling. One just quit a couple weeks ago and it's going to be interesting. This person did not bring one buyer (other than family) to the table. And, insult to injury, they've taken on the expenses of moving.

Take a step back and before you react examine your business closely. If you brought the buyers to the party, you are right, move on if you can find more to buy/sell. (Many times agents exhaust their client list their first year and they're done for a few years). Know your book of business.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:42 AM

43,509 posts, read 77,510,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
Wow, that last part really spoke to me. I really have felt like I need a rest, due to all of these circumstances, and his general attitude.

That was my exact though about the awards too, totally hypocritical in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I am surprised no one asked you the following and the answers are critical to your survival:

Did you join the team as a buyer's agent, to just handle calls from buyers without agent on this guy's listings?

How much of your business was 100% from your sphere of influence?

Removing that sphere, how much business did you do (on your own)?

These questions are really for you to ask yourself. I know of a team lead right now that is preparing to put up at least 2 dozen on the market for sale (ranked top 50 @ KW). One of his buyer agents has gone thru the exact same reaction that you are experiencing, but guess what? They needed those leads from those listings to survive. They moved on and are struggling. One just quit a couple weeks ago and it's going to be interesting. This person did not bring one buyer (other than family) to the table. And, insult to injury, they've taken on the expenses of moving.

Take a step back and before you react examine your business closely. If you brought the buyers to the party, you are right, move on if you can find more to buy/sell. (Many times agents exhaust their client list their first year and they're done for a few years). Know your book of business.
Smart Money's response is solid gold. If you bet on yourself, know the odds and choose wisely.
If you were paid for what you did, then basically you are dealing with a clash of egos: His vs. Yours.
His will survive without yours. Be sure you can survive, and thrive, if you honor your ego. Plenty of people cannot.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:50 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,031,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
His will survive without yours. Be sure you can survive, and thrive, if you honor your ego. Plenty of people cannot.
Nicely said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals