Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:09 AM

42 posts, read 183,853 times

Advertisements

We were in a meeting when a top producing agent gave us some tips on how to quickly gain the trust and respect of a client when you are at a listing appointment even before saying a word.

He said one, you can tell if the house has copper plumbing or not from the front of the house...Any idea's how you would know from the front of the house? Where do you look?

He also stated that you can simply tell the age of the roof by looking, but it is okay if you are off by a couple of years, but make sure not more than that.

What other tips would you experienced agents have on stating about the property, that would immediately make you look experienced and qualified as a Realtor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 04:40 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Probably the reason he is a top producer is because he had you believing he could tell whether a house has copper plumbing just from looking at the front of the house.

You also can not tell the age of a roof by looking at it. You can take an educated guess from the looks but what if the owner just had it sprayed down with something to clean it up? That can change the looks by 5 years or more. If a roof has many overhanging trees it is possible the roof will look more aged than it is.

Go in, ask questions and then show your expertise. Most people don't want a circus act, they want the house sold. If he guessed the age of the roof right did he get a Kewpie Doll?

Old 07-01-2010, 04:55 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
He sounds like a BS artist. I look at 20-30 roofs a week and I'm often wrong about the age. Since most homes have copper plumbing, he's often right.

Gain trust by telling the truth, not by trying to show people how "smart" you are. Focus on what is important to your client.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Best way to tell the age of the roof is by asking the seller.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:14 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
If I was shopping for a home inspector those things might be important. I'm not sure why any seller would care if you could tell those things without asking.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:41 AM

63 posts, read 171,255 times
Shouldn't he show he's experienced in marketing a house rather than judging it's condition? I'd be more impressed if he could tell you when and for what it was going to sell, hehe :P

Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Probably the reason he is a top producer is because he had you believing he could tell whether a house has copper plumbing just from looking at the front of the house.

You also can not tell the age of a roof by looking at it. You can take an educated guess from the looks but what if the owner just had it sprayed down with something to clean it up? That can change the looks by 5 years or more. If a roof has many overhanging trees it is possible the roof will look more aged than it is.

Go in, ask questions and then show your expertise. Most people don't want a circus act, they want the house sold. If he guessed the age of the roof right did he get a Kewpie Doll?

I can't rep you...but this is pretty much what I thought too.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:41 AM

434 posts, read 1,309,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh View Post
What other tips would you experienced agents have on stating about the property, that would immediately make you look experienced and qualified as a Realtor?
If you're not experienced and qualified your potential client will be able to tell. If you're trying to come across as experienced and you're not, you stand the possibility of making a fool of yourself. Be honest, concentrate on what you know about (floors, dogs, maybe youre good with stats etc), what did you do before real estate and apply anything you've learned about people. Make good eye contact...just don't be creepy!

Old 07-01-2010, 12:13 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,148,435 times
I can't tell you what to say to show you are an experienced real estate agent, but, I can tell you he is wrong about the copper piping comment. I can't actually tell you why that would be one of an agent's priorities or skills when you have a stack paperwork that an agent should be an expert at knowing about, discussing and advising on.
PEX (and often times CPVC) require copper stub outs through and beyond exterior walls to protect from impact and sunlight damage. You can see copper from the outside and often through walls under the sinks,but, the house can be primarily PEX or CPVC!

Old 07-01-2010, 01:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
My advice to new agents is to answer a question they don't know the answer to, is to say, I don't know, but I can find that out for you. If I'm a prospective buyer or seller, that tells me that you are honest enough to admit you don't know everything (none of us does) and that would be the kind of experience that would speak volumes to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals