Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:47 PM

15 posts, read 23,641 times

Advertisements

I have been in sales for over 10 years. The next move is real estate here in Houston.

My plan is to learn the ins and outs of the business through sales to the public. My ultimate goal is to flip houses.

I know to be successful, it starts with a good education.

I have been looking into:
Champions
Kaplan (online courses) kapre.com
schoolestate.com (online course)
texasrealestate.com
spencersschool.com

Can anyone give me feedback about the best school and any tips about starting in this business?

Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 10:29 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
It doesn't really matter. Pick one. They all just teach to pass the real estate exam - which is the most brain-dead test in the world. You don't really know anything, once you are done.

You would be best served if you really know Houston - the trends of employment, shopping and future growth - not to mention the downward spiral of some areas. Having the capability to read and understand comparative recent sales and what they mean for a subdivision. Unfortunately, none of this is covered by the schools.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:20 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
ffp504, I believe the biggest mistake any entry level licensee makes is the expectation of profits before the ink dries on their license. To become a CPA, lawyer, doctor, or engineer, there are many years of poverty before profitability.

Real estate has a similar start-up history. Don't come into the business with a $100,000 profit in mind the first year, even five years. Sure, come on and work to learn and expect some sales to survive.

I recommend that you grab a mentor. Work for near poverty income, and learn.

Best of wishes!!

Old 03-30-2014, 01:53 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,764 times
if you're going to pick a mentor, make sure they're willing to teach and answer your questions.

There are many top producer sharks and bastards in my office who just want a split of your commission and couldn't care less if you sink or swim.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:36 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
if you're going to pick a mentor, make sure they're willing to teach and answer your questions.

There are many top producer sharks and bastards in my office who just want a split of your commission and couldn't care less if you sink or swim.
Then maybe you should get a new office with an atmosphere that's a little better.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:37 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
List of thoughts with no particular order.

Learn to get listings. That's the key to making it. Prospect every day. Treat it like a business and not a hobby. Find something that works for you and stick with it but don't put all your eggs in one basket. You should have 3 sources of business you can rely on. Organize your sphere of influence and put together a database.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:05 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Then maybe you should get a new office with an atmosphere that's a little better.
Doesn't matter to me either way. I don't work out of the office and I don't use a mentor.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:16 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffp504 View Post
I have been in sales for over 10 years. The next move is real estate here in Houston.

My plan is to learn the ins and outs of the business through sales to the public. My ultimate goal is to flip houses.

I know to be successful, it starts with a good education.

I have been looking into:
Champions
Kaplan (online courses) kapre.com
schoolestate.com (online course)
texasrealestate.com
spencersschool.com

Can anyone give me feedback about the best school and any tips about starting in this business?

Thanks in advance,
The is a difference between Education and Training. Education makes sure you know what you need to know to pass the exam and stay out of trouble. Training is what helps you become productive. Education as required to obtain a license doesn't include any useful training. You get that from your Broker and/or mentor, from experience and from reading books such as The Millionaire Real Estate Agent.

With regard to flipping, having a real estate license handcuffs you in many ways.

Good luck.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 03-30-2014 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-30-2014, 07:08 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
The is a difference between Education and Training. Education makes sure you know what you need to know to pass the exam and stay out of trouble. Training is what helps you become productive. Education as required to obtain a license doesn't include any useful training. You get that from your Broker and/or mentor, from experience and from reading books such as The Millionaire Real Estate Agent.

With regard to flipping, having a real estate license handcuffs you in many ways.

Good luck.

Steve
Steve, who flipped your mind? (not an insult but a play on real estate words) I believe that education is the process of giving people the ability to think for themselves. I don't think any one can really call pre-license courses "education." Not sure what I would call it, but not education or training.

I have often said that NASA could train a monkey to fly a spacecraft, but because it had educated astronauts, Apollo 13 came home.

In our office model, we educate our agents to be able to perform in every situation they encounter. Training is valuable, yes!! But training doesn't assume the agent can reason and think. We think differently. Maybe it's because we hire differently, but we simply don't train, we provide educational opportunities.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:53 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Steve, who flipped your mind? (not an insult but a play on real estate words) I believe that education is the process of giving people the ability to think for themselves. I don't think any one can really call pre-license courses "education." Not sure what I would call it, but not education or training.

I have often said that NASA could train a monkey to fly a spacecraft, but because it had educated astronauts, Apollo 13 came home.

In our office model, we educate our agents to be able to perform in every situation they encounter. Training is valuable, yes!! But training doesn't assume the agent can reason and think. We think differently. Maybe it's because we hire differently, but we simply don't train, we provide educational opportunities.
Well, then I guess you need to Educate yourself on the difference between Education and Training.

With which teenager would you rather ride in a car with - one who has passed a written test but has no actual behind the wheel training, or one who has been trained in how to drive but has never studied for the written test?

The same goes for Realtors. Learning to pass the test is useless, as it doesn't provide actual field skills. Training teaches agents how to do the actual job.

Both fall under the broad category of "Learning", but education in real estate teaches rules and how to stay out of trouble whereas good training teaches skills and how to do the job.

But you should run your particular business as you see fit. You know it better than me.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals