Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:11 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,580 times

Advertisements

I'm stuck in a crummy "career" and have always had an interest in real estate and am very seriously considering taking a real estate class and (hopefully) become a licensed realtor. Just for specifics, I currently live in Tennessee and for many different reasons, I'm wanting/needing to move back to California preferably within the next 9-12 months. So, this is probably a really naïve question, but is there any point whatsoever in attempting this class while still in TN or should I just wait until I'm in CA because I'd have to basically do everything all over again? I don't know if there's any fairly simple way to "transfer" your license to another state or not. If this is a state-specific question, who would you suggest I contact/where would you suggest I look?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 01:22 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I'm stuck in a crummy "career" and have always had an interest in real estate and am very seriously considering taking a real estate class and (hopefully) become a licensed realtor. Just for specifics, I currently live in Tennessee and for many different reasons, I'm wanting/needing to move back to California preferably within the next 9-12 months. So, this is probably a really naïve question, but is there any point whatsoever in attempting this class while still in TN or should I just wait until I'm in CA because I'd have to basically do everything all over again? I don't know if there's any fairly simple way to "transfer" your license to another state or not. If this is a state-specific question, who would you suggest I contact/where would you suggest I look?

Thanks

If you are definitely relocating to CA, then you need to wait until you get there and establish residency and get settled a bit. Then, call the local Board of Realtors in the city or town where you will live and ask the procedure to obtain a CA license. (A California agent may respond to this forum also.) The State of CA should have a Real Estate Commission which oversees all of the Realtors in CA. That is another place you could inquire of, mainly online to read about the requirements.

Only states that are bordering each other are likely to have reciprocal licensing agreements. For example, TN, NC and SC have reciprocal licensing. Not sure about GA. But from TN to CA, I'd say highly unlikely.

Best of luck.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 04-22-2014 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-22-2014, 01:37 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,887 times
You're better off just starting California real estate education classes online instead.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:34 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
Quote:
... is there any point whatsoever in attempting this class...
Class? As in one class? It only takes one class to get a licensed in Tennessee? In Texas, you must take 210 classroom hours to become an agent, and it takes 900 classroom hours plus 4 years as an agent to become a broker.

Texas does not reciprocate with any state, even neighboring states. However, I know if you're licensed in Texas on the northern border, Oklahoma will give you a license. But not the other way around.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
California Bureau of Real Estate

CA does reciprocate with other states, but given the amazing differences in the real estate law between the left coast and the midwest, you wouldn't do yourself any favors trying to take the CA test with TN knowledge.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:15 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,487 times
Go online and take the California Real Estate Course. You will probably still have to take the California Exam in California, but you will have the book work done and will be ready.

Also, I haven't looked but California may not require you to be a Resident to obtain a License there. I am in Florida, and while I am a resident, I could still practice Real Estate while not being a resident.

Lot's of little rules. RealEstateExpress costs less than 200 bucks for the course. Check to see if California requires you take a course or just allows you to walk in and test. If the ladder, I would skip the Prep Course and just go on Amazon and find what you need to get the knowledge you need.

Have some money saved for this! If you move there it's going to be a while before you get a commission!!!!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:38 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,441,479 times
We are relocating from TX to FL. Broker here, but have to take a 70 hour class,pass the test to e a broker there. Check with CA on-line. All the requirements should be available from their website.

Good luck.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:38 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,400,755 times
Quote:
is there any point whatsoever in attempting this class while still in TN or should I just wait until I'm in CA because I'd have to basically do everything all over again?
Real estate laws differ from state to state, so there's really no sense in taking the time to learn about Tennessee law if you plan to move soon. You might as well spend that time reading up on California real estate law. You could even take an online course as suggested, but wait to take the licensing exam after you move to California.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
I actually took a CA real estate class and then moved to WA where I became licensed for the first time in 1979. Passed the first time.

Laws and practices are similar enough in a region where one might not lose much in the translation, but there are too many variances between regions to expect a decent outcome.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:48 PM

9 posts, read 58,992 times
Drake to get your license in Tennessee will be a waste of your time as the state of California does not reciprocate with any other states. It is best to wait to take the classes in California and take the state exam there.

I took my broker state exam in California and now have opened my own brokerage in the state of Georgia.

Hope this helps

Quote:

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals