Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: better place for a self employed home-builder
Upstate SC / Asheville NC 2 40.00%
Central FL (Olrando metro area) 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:49 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon,

I have a great friend who has been in and out of building homes (his own biz) for several yrs now. He was first in Orlando FL then moved to the NC/SC border and then moved back to FL, (Jacksonville FL currently).

He values my opinion a lot, and now that he is thinking of building homes again (self-employed), he was asking me if he should return back to Central FL where the market is booming again, or head back to Greenville SC where it's more of a slower but steady growth.

I am asking you all which market would be better for him, b/c honestly I have no idea. Any thoughts? He builds homes in all kinds of price ranges. His most expensive one was several yrs ago and it was in the $600-700k range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 07:10 PM

nobody yet?

Old 06-09-2014, 09:46 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,942 times
You might have better luck getting information on the local forums. I can only speak for Asheville as I don't have a clue how the other areas are doing. Things are definitely picking up but I don't know that I would move her if I was a contractor. Not yet anyhow. Eventually it will be a good move but at the moment the demand is not quite there to give a spec home builder the security he would want

Old 06-09-2014, 02:59 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,789 times
I know nothing about central FL RE and very little re Western NC RE.

Here in the city of Greenville, renovations are booming (especially near downtown Greenville). I'm 5 minutes from downtown Greenville and my subdivision (Gower) has seen a significant uptick in reno's in the past 2 years - no teardowns yet (but, I foresee this in the next 5-10 years). Reno's in the Augusta Road area are brisk as well. Many property owners in the more upscale parts of the city are subdividing their property and building new houses (ex: Collins Place on Parkins Mill Road - new homes on ~ one acre lots starting in the 700's).

In Upstate SC it's all about location: properties closer to downtown Greenville (and zoned for good schools) will demand the highest premium.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:01 PM

thx everyone... i'm actually going to send him the link to this page so that he can check out the comments rather than me telling him or texting it to him...

plz keep comments coming.

my initial thought was the greenville sc area would be best with new construction just b/c i keep hearing how its growing still and keeps getting good jobs, etc.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:21 PM

lol, 392 ppl viewed this question and i got 3 votes.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:38 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
lol, 392 ppl viewed this question and i got 3 votes.
Real estate is very local. I couldn't tell you how the Raleigh market is doing even though I live 4 hours away in Asheville. That's why you are getting so few responses. City Data has forums for many cities and regions. You may want to ask your question on the those specific forums. You may get better answers

Old 06-12-2014, 06:23 AM

404 posts, read 898,286 times
Default new construction

I have spent the last couple years in both Greenville and the SE side of Florida, a little south of Orlando.

Greenville area residential new construction is booming. Developers are building spec homes in subdivisions and they are sold before completion. Roughly, 300K is the price point. This new construction is outside the “city”, much of it to the south east direction. Near downtown does have a big premium but it is built out with old nice large homes. Greenville is known for its lovely downtown. The resale market is also hot.

There is a tiny bit of new construction picking back up in mid-SE Florida. Resales are good but it is only for the foreclosures, and that mainly of the homes that were built after 2000. But this is not Orlando and maybe Orlando new construction business is currently better.

Asheville can't be grouped with Greenville and I don't know the Asheville market. Greenville and Spartanburg are in “Upstate SC” and flow into one another, but even Spartanburg is a totally different real estate and construction market.

This is not an opinion on which of Florida or SC is the better place to live!

Old 06-12-2014, 03:32 PM

are u in construction, gv28?

i'm in central FL and its booming here too.

hopefully all those spec homes in GVL doesnt flood the market and see a bust.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:19 PM

404 posts, read 898,286 times
I'm not. Just observant of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals