Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 02:27 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times

Advertisements

In the past few years, airlines have typically gone completely al-a-carte. Fly with a suitcase, there is a charge, need a pillow, there is a charge, need more than a teaspoon of peanuts, there is a charge, etc, etc, etc.

The corporate real estate brokerages, Cendant, BHHS, Weichert, etc, even KW, operate on a need for commission dollars. A few years ago, Cendant even changed the calculation order of how they get paid just to add a few dollars to their take. (I exclude RE/MAX and RE Executives because they are fee based rather than commission based)

Most mega-corp brands need all the money they can get. The typical RE/MAX franchisee, such as myself, are not big corporate firms. We simply pay RE/MAX a fixed marketing fee (in 2004, RE/MAX did change their format to take 1% of the gross commission income and divide that between the regions and the home office)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 03:56 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Ifs:

If Realogy can leverage Zip into a Zillow/Trulia/r.com killer
If Realogy can turn a property management company into Sellers & Buyers
If Realogy can leverage Zip technology into increased Market Share

they might have something.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:11 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
In the Austin market, it's pretty standard to pay 50% for any company generated internet leads. However, there is not usually another split on top of that, just 50% all inclusive of other splits.

At the same $300k house at a $9000 commission, that's $4500 to the company and $4500 to the agent. The company is spending the money to generate the leads, and giving them to the agents, so it's free business the agent wouldn't have had beyond their own marketing.
Not to me...my local ERA took many of my leads and distributed them to agents on lower splits. I didn't realize how much I was losing until I left. Realtor.com and all the other sites they had would send the leads to leadrouter to a central database managed by a marketing person who would then distribute the leads. I get more leads in a week at RE/MAX than I'd get in a month at ERA and I'm carrying a 1/3 of the number of listings right now as I did there. They tout leadrouter as some great agent friendly lead generating source but frankly they just filter leads IMO. I much prefer the agent get their own leads and if you waste it so what? It's yours to do as you please.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:45 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Sounds about right. That's one of the reasons I left that umbrella and opened my own company which is a RE/MAX franchise. I understand why agents start there but I don't understand why agents stay there because there are 3 options where the agents will generally be more profitable - KW, RE/MAX, or independent.
Congrats on opening up your own shop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Me too. I went with KW.

In my experience, the quality of leads from any automated lead generation system is lacking. I can and do appreciate that others may have different experiences.

Some CB offices are independent franchises and offer a tad more flexibility to the agent.
You too! About time.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Not to me...my local ERA took many of my leads and distributed them to agents on lower splits. I didn't realize how much I was losing until I left. Realtor.com and all the other sites they had would send the leads to leadrouter to a central database managed by a marketing person who would then distribute the leads. I get more leads in a week at RE/MAX than I'd get in a month at ERA and I'm carrying a 1/3 of the number of listings right now as I did there. They tout leadrouter as some great agent friendly lead generating source but frankly they just filter leads IMO. I much prefer the agent get their own leads and if you waste it so what? It's yours to do as you please.
Totally agree. If an agent generates the business they need to get it back. That's horrible that you weren't getting prospects that were generated by your efforts.

We have an auto referral fee policy in place at my office so if an agent just gets swamped they can forward prospects, showings, etc to another agent and a referral fee is already in place. That way we can make sure that consumers get responded too in a timely manner. It works well for us. I call it a cooperative model, but we function like a lose team covering each other's vacations and such.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:40 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Quote:
I get more leads in a week at RE/MAX than I'd get in a month at ERA...
I was with Remax for 11+ years. I received many leads through Leadstreet. Never closed a single one and most of my business is internet leads generated, so it wasn't/isn't me. The leads that came through leadstreet were horrible. I still have those leads in my database, and there still isn't any gold in them thar leads...

It's not the number of leads you get, it's the quality of leads that matter.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:24 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I was with Remax for 11+ years. I received many leads through Leadstreet. Never closed a single one and most of my business is internet leads generated, so it wasn't/isn't me. The leads that came through leadstreet were horrible. I still have those leads in my database, and there still isn't any gold in them thar leads...

It's not the number of leads you get, it's the quality of leads that matter.
I agree internet leads in general have a very low conversion rate so it's not specific to RE/MAX as most internet leads are simply not ready to buy yet. However, the point is it's better to get your leads and at least have a shot than not get them at all because they are being sent to another agent.

Side note-We've got a pretty good system between them and other online leads and convert them a decent rate compared to national averages. Our best buyer leads are sign calls without a doubt though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals