Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:12 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Some point in the near future.

Owner just died of a very bad contagious disease, do we......

1. Treat it like HIV where we do not disclose (it may be illegal to disclose)
2. We do disclose and sell the house at half the value to an investor. (much like a suicide or murder)

Would you tell your Buyer that the house they were about to enter was an Ebola house 2 years earlier ?
A whole new can of worms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 12:33 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Interesting question. I just know that if it were a recent Ebola house, I wouldn't be in it trying to sell it to a Buyer.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:44 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Ebola can't survive outside a host for very long, so I don't think it's anything to disclose. Do you disclose every time someone has chicken pox or shingles in a house? Both are illnesses that people can die from.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:22 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times
I would hate to hold an open house at an Ebola house. Then again what's to stop an Ebola infected person from coming to my open house?

Old 10-17-2014, 05:03 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
The thing about highly lethal viruses is that they die fairly quickly outside of a body. They need wet fluids to live. So if someone die of ebola and there is vomit in the house that is all wet, yes it would be an issue. I assume most people aren't selling homes with recent vomit and feces all over the place, though.

I think it is a non-issue.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:40 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Some point in the near future.

Owner just died of a very bad contagious disease, do we......

1. Treat it like HIV where we do not disclose (it may be illegal to disclose)
2. We do disclose and sell the house at half the value to an investor. (much like a suicide or murder)

Would you tell your Buyer that the house they were about to enter was an Ebola house 2 years earlier ?
A whole new can of worms.
I'm curious (and not a lawyer or realtor)

Question: Do all states require disclosure of a murder or suicide in the home? Is there a time limit for that requirement?

Question: Why is AIDS exempted from disclosure? If it's a stigma thing, that should apply to suicides as well as it's a stigma against mental illness. Or is it just a matter of political pressure that made AIDS exempt from disclosure?

Old 10-19-2014, 11:53 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
In Texas, murder and suicide is NOT a required disclosure. The only murder that is required is if the house caused the death. An example always given is if the house is a known drug house and there was a drive-by shooting, the disclosure must mention the murder because in the future, people might not know those drug people don't live there anymore, and disgruntled people might come by the house and potentially cause some harm.

AIDS is nothing to disclose because that's personal and has nothing to do with the house.

Meth in a house IS a required disclosure as that can cause future health issues.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:41 PM

166 posts, read 411,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Meth in a house IS a required disclosure as that can cause future health issues.
State specific.
For instance, some states, if its been 'cleaned' to state requirements, then it may not be required to disclose (CO is such state - nuts imo) ... BUT its always prudent to check with law enforcement if they've ever been called to a property or a crime occurred there etc. Even talking to neighbors can shed insight.

A bit of a debate occurring is regarding pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Question: Do all states require disclosure of a murder or suicide in the home? Is there a time limit for that requirement?
Each state is different regarding disclosure requirements regarding murder, suicide etc.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:10 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
"I just know that if it were a recent Ebola house, I wouldn't be in it trying to sell it to a Buyer."

There's no such thing as an Ebola house. Houses, as inanimate objects, can't catch diseases.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:39 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Are we talking about Tuberculosis (TB)?

"Besides the direct transmission from an infected person to an uninfected person, the TB bacilli can also be transmitted by dust. Once coughed out by a person with TB, they can survive up to six months outside the body if they are protected from direct sunlight. Often they settle in dusty, dark areas. When this dust gets swirled up (by sweeping, wind, or when children play on the ground), the TB bacilli then fly through the air and may be inhaled. When they are inhaled, they travel into the lungs of the person."

TB Online - How TB is spread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals