Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 05:07 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times

Advertisements

I post this just as a curiosity thing. I know that the vast majority of real estate agents are professional and ethical people and hopefully most clients are as well. But I have a 35 year background in LE and saw the arrest of several agents and several clients. Again, I know there are bad apples in every profession so I am not picking on anyone here or your profession. We have our house listed and we have just put an offer down on a home and there is a topic on here regarding that.

We had an agent arrested very recently in my area who was caught on hidden camera stealing meds from a home. Evidently things were stolen in many homes she's visited. My guess she is dependent on RX meds. Not sure if this was a client of hers or just a home she gained access too. I have a sign on my front door advising everyone that there is hidden surveillance in my home.

Have you seen much of this in your careers or is this a rarity in the business? My professional opinion is that it happens more than we realize but any criminal acts are committed by a very small number of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 05:16 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I post this just as a curiosity thing. I know that the vast majority of real estate agents are professional and ethical people and hopefully most clients are as well. But I have a 35 year background in LE and saw the arrest of several agents and several clients. Again, I know there are bad apples in every profession so I am not picking on anyone here or your profession. We have our house listed and we have just put an offer down on a home and there is a topic on here regarding that.

We had an agent arrested very recently in my area who was caught on hidden camera stealing meds from a home. Evidently things were stolen in many homes she's visited. My guess she is dependent on RX meds. Not sure if this was a client of hers or just a home she gained access too. I have a sign on my front door advising everyone that there is hidden surveillance in my home.

Have you seen much of this in your careers or is this a rarity in the business? My professional opinion is that it happens more than we realize but any criminal acts are committed by a very small number of people.
I have a preference for listing and showing vacant homes, and this is just another reason why.
It is difficult to convince some homeowners to remove valuables, medications, guns, etc., from their house.

We had a rash of jewelry thefts a couple of years ago. But, all in all, it isn't all that common here. That is little consolation if it is YOUR heirloom jewelry or prescription medication that disappears.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:59 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
We had an agent in our area a couple of years back that lost her license and was prosecuted for stealing in homes. She was setting up "showings" but not actually taking a client in the home, just using that to gain access to occupied properties. She had been an agent in our area for a long time.

Then she got her husband licensed and just continued on in her business under his name and got busted for doing business as an unlicensed agent and tried to claim it was not "her" doing the business, it was him....but there was too much evidence to state otherwise.

We always tell sellers to either remove valuables from their home and/or lock them and any medications in a safe during the listing.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:03 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
It is rare that we have such issues in my area but not unheard of. We always suggest to sellers to lock up items of value like jewelry and meds. Sadly for some people including agents and people viewing the property the temptation is just too much.
Most agents have a radar for odd people and they know to watch out with them.
Another thing to watch out for would be "buyers" at an open house that unlock a door or window so they can slink back through it after the open house is done. Check them all before you leave.

I have heard of an agent who stole and used the deposit/ escrow money to feed their drug habit. Like they wouldn't be caught?

Old 02-20-2015, 09:37 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
We get a couple of alerts a year on our MLS about thefts. I think the last one was about a month ago and it was meds they were stealing.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:15 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
When I was selling, I had too much to look up, so I wrapped thick chains around an armoire and put a big lock on it. NO one would come back later as I had a security system and 2 large dogs (G Shep and pitbull). I would not have pointed out where "the good stuff" was if I had any worries about someone scouting for a later visit.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:26 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
One of the things I was shocked to learn when I went through the Florida real estate licensee training was that a felon can get a real estate license. I am certain most customers and clients would also be shocked to learn this. I don't care what the politically correct point of view is and I don't care that people make mistakes in life. In this particular endeavor, I don't think felons should be allowed to have the kind of access we have to homes, personal property, or private/personal information. I have no idea how much of a problem this actually presents but I think it is a bad idea.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:11 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
I'd guess it's fairly common. A neighbor of ours used to be an agent, until she lost her license for failing to disclose two theft convictions. Once she lost her license, she started a staging company and the people she hired had criminal backgrounds as well, one of whom was later charged with identity theft. Whether that was in conjunction with one of the staged homes, I cannot say. However it seems likely that giving private access to individuals with a predisposition towards theft may eventually lead to an irresistible opportunity.

Oddly, other agents still hire her to stage their homes. She's been in the business for decades, so it's likely they're aware of her background and hiring practices.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:39 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
I'm not aware of it ever happening on any of my listings or with any of my buyers. I would say uncommon when you think about the hundreds of thousands of homes that are shown each year.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:40 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
It happens rarely, and usually meds. I warn ally sellers and ask them to remove or put in a safe all valuables and meds,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals