Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:46 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times

Advertisements

What does that mean? and why would they want that?

Also some said with Commercial Title and I thought it was a type and not a company .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 01:12 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,913,545 times
Where I work, the listing agent opens up preliminary title before listing the house so that's the company that would be used at closing to provide title insurance. Not sure about other areas but we put the company name in the listing info so the buyer's agent knows where title is open.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:43 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,229,238 times
In Florida it is customary for the seller to choose the title company since they are paying for the owner's title policy.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,319,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
In Florida it is customary for the seller to choose the title company since they are paying for the owner's title policy.
And in CA, it's customary for the buyer to name the title and escrow company.

It's also common in a bank owned situation for the bank to offer a bit of a deal if the buyer opts to go with the banks title and escrow.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:35 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,750,371 times
Quote:
In Florida, the party who pays for the (new) owner's policy also selects the closer/title agent who can be either an attorney or a title agent at a title company. The decision as to whether it is the seller or the buyer who "picks and pays" is a matter of negotiation. I have heard that, in some counties, the decision on whether it is the seller or buyer who pays can be "customary" to some degree, and that may be so, but it really is a negotiated term of the contract. The arguments are: a) the seller should pay because they are guaranteeing a clean title; or b) the insurance benefits the buyer and, just like any other form of insurance, you buy insurance for the things you want to insure (i.e. Car, home, jewelry, etc.), so there are logical arguments for both approaches.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:33 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,420,266 times
Quote:
It's the same in Michigan. Still, everything is negotiable. It usually doesn't matter much which title company is used...but it can be easier to deal with people you've already dealt with before, especially if you know that they are prompt and accurate.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:24 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,268,363 times
In Texas, they recently passed a new rule that the Seller can not require the buyer utilize a specific title company. Our agent remarks used to almost always state: Seller to use Title Company XYZ @ PDQ title......

Alot of agents commonly got bonuses, or vacations, etc for using the same escrow agent in a specific office, so the rule was passed to negate that if the buyer wanted.....It did not however have its intended effect. Now almost every single agent remark states "If Seller is to pay for title policy, then use XYZ @ PDQ title" I highly doubt the seller cares at all who writes the policy (since its 100% price fixed by the state) so - the rule was effectively negated by realtors who just choose to use the same agent and keep the freebies coming.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:02 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
A lot of times its from kick-backs.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:10 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,229,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post

Alot of agents commonly got bonuses, or vacations, etc for using the same escrow agent in a specific office,
Wow. Either I'm naive or I'm owed a vacation or two. I am not aware of any agent receiving anything of more value than a pen from a title agency in my market.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:05 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,420,266 times
Quote:
Wow. Either I'm naive or I'm owed a vacation or two. I am not aware of any agent receiving anything of more value than a pen from a title agency in my market.
I once got two pens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals