Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 08:40 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,956,466 times

Advertisements

Now before you jump down my throat, what I really mean is they should be restructured on the buyer's agent side.

Both the sellers agent and the buyers agent are going to split the commission right? So its in both their best interest financially to get the highest price possible for the home.. this makes zero sense to me!

Personally, I think the buyers agent should get a large percentage on the money he saves the buyer off the asking price.

So for example:
In the current situation.. A home on the market for $300,000 gives the selling Realtor a commission of 3% of the sale or $9,000 and the buying agent a commission of 3% or $9,000. So its in both their best interest to sell that home for $300,000 vs say $275,000 dropping both their commissions down to $8,250. So whats the buying agent's motivation for getting a lower price???

What I think should be done is the selling agent gets their 3%, but the buyers agent should get like 40% of whatever is saved off the asking price. This way the seller's agent is really trying to get the highest price for the house, and the buyers agent is really trying to get the lowest price for the house.

This makes WAAAAY more sense to me.

And I realize there are contracts and stuff saying "I'll work my best to get you the best price" but c'mon, at the end of the day thats really just an honor system, I wanna know my agent is trying to make both of us as much $ as possible and we're 110% on the same team.

...or am I crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 08:48 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
So its in both their best interest to sell that home for $300,000 vs say $275,000 dropping both their commissions down to $8,250. So whats the buying agent's motivation for getting a lower price???
There motivation is that they want the deal. If you say you won't go over $275K they have to try to make it happen. The difference is $750 less or nothing in commission and you move on and buy a different home.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:06 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times
Quote:
Now before you jump down my throat, what I really mean is they should be restructured on the buyer's agent side.

Both the sellers agent and the buyers agent are going to split the commission right? So its in both their best interest financially to get the highest price possible for the home.. this makes zero sense to me!

Personally, I think the buyers agent should get a large percentage on the money he saves the buyer off the asking price.

So for example:
In the current situation.. A home on the market for $300,000 gives the selling Realtor a commission of 3% of the sale or $9,000 and the buying agent a commission of 3% or $9,000. So its in both their best interest to sell that home for $300,000 vs say $275,000 dropping both their commissions down to $8,250. So whats the buying agent's motivation for getting a lower price???

What I think should be done is the selling agent gets their 3%, but the buyers agent should get like 40% of whatever is saved off the asking price. This way the seller's agent is really trying to get the highest price for the house, and the buyers agent is really trying to get the lowest price for the house.

And I realize there are contracts and stuff saying "I'll work my best to get you the best price" but c'mon, at the end of the day thats really just an honor system, I wanna know my agent is trying to make both of us as much $ as possible and we're 110% on the same team.

...or am I crazy?
A negotiated price difference from 300k to 275k, will net a difference of $750 on a commision around 20k. It is highly unlikely that they will collude to get the highest price possible. The reality is they want the home sold so they get a commission.
What you are suggesting doesn't make much sense because the BA will just steer clients to overpriced listings. I don't see much value in what you are proposing, what I do believe is that the fact that listings agents pays Buyers agents commission is anti-competitive in that the broker is forcing the consumer to buy for a buyers agent whether he or she uses one or not, and that the broker themselves is setting the market rate for this service. .

Old 11-07-2015, 10:11 AM

4,614 posts, read 3,306,005 times
When most houses sold for $30,000, six percent seemed an ok commission to pay. Now that you might sell a house for $850,000, that same 6% seems absurdly overpriced for the amount of work done. I'd like to see something on an escalating scale (or maybe de-escalating scale) as the price goes up. Or maybe the owners of these high-priced houses negotiate something lower from a realtor?

Old 11-07-2015, 10:52 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,997,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
When most houses sold for $30,000, six percent seemed an ok commission to pay. Now that you might sell a house for $850,000, that same 6% seems absurdly overpriced for the amount of work done. I'd like to see something on an escalating scale (or maybe de-escalating scale) as the price goes up. Or maybe the owners of these high-priced houses negotiate something lower from a realtor?
Not all areas have 6% standard commission.

The pricier the property, the higher the marketing costs

Old 11-07-2015, 11:05 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,997,426 times
Quote:

So for example:

...or am I crazy?
It is the Listing Agent's responsibility to get the highest price possible for his/her client. (Within reason). It is the Buyer's Agent responsibility to get the lowest possible price on that very same property (within reason).

So you have two opposing forces.............meeting somewhere in the middle.

It is no different than any other contractual negotiation.

That's it. There's no reinventing the wheel.

I say within reason as you're not going to sell a house for $850K if it comps for $670K. Likewise, if you've been approved for a $300K mortgage and have $50K to put down..........you're not buying that $475K (per comps) house for $350K.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:38 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,229,238 times
Quote:

...or am I crazy?
If we can't be trusted under the present system then why do you think we wouldn't use this new system to rip you off even more?

Old 11-07-2015, 12:21 PM

412 posts, read 451,965 times
In the UK commissions run around 2%, but can vary somewhat. 3% is considered high. 1% is considered low, but is not unusual for expensive homes.

Contrast that with the typical 6 - 7% in the US for homes and 10% for unimproved land.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:19 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Soooooo, the OP proposes that all listing agents underprice houses to ignite auction fever, and let the buyers' agents work for free because nothing would ever sell below list price.

This kind of stuff has been bandied around here routinely. Ain't nuttin' new under the sun.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:27 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,119,173 times
That is a total lie, a million dollar home goes on the mls just the same as the rest. You can only put up so many signs and flyers. At the end of the day its a fleece and people are catching on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Not all areas have 6% standard commission.

The pricier the property, the higher the marketing costs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals