Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:12 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,054,284 times

Advertisements

I always give something different to each client, but each time I try to do 2 things:

1. Give them something they actually want. I listen intently to my clients about what they're looking for in a house and if you pay attention during that process you can learn a lot about them as people as well.

2. Give them something that they will actually hang on to. Gift cards are great but you use them and they are gone. Bottles of wine can be greatly appreciated but the bottle ultimately ends up in the recycle bin.

I've given out over the years many, many different gifts from items that will become part of the house like a mailbox to items to decorate the house like a vase from Tiffany's or a "welcome matt" to sporting equipment like golf clubs. I don't put my name/logo on any of these gifts but I like to think when my clients use these items that they think of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 11:29 AM

51,657 posts, read 25,887,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I always give something different to each client, but each time I try to do 2 things:

1. Give them something they actually want. I listen intently to my clients about what they're looking for in a house and if you pay attention during that process you can learn a lot about them as people as well.

2. Give them something that they will actually hang on to. Gift cards are great but you use them and they are gone. Bottles of wine can be greatly appreciated but the bottle ultimately ends up in the recycle bin.

I've given out over the years many, many different gifts from items that will become part of the house like a mailbox to items to decorate the house like a vase from Tiffany's or a "welcome matt" to sporting equipment like golf clubs. I don't put my name/logo on any of these gifts but I like to think when my clients use these items that they think of me.
Love the welcome mat. Also the gifts that will become part of the house.

I do remember who gave me things when I look at them. I don't need a logo to remind me.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:34 PM

652 posts, read 1,306,147 times
I do everything from having the house cleaned or the carpets cleaned to gift cards. If they're new to town and have kids, I'll buy them admission passes to one of our museums. If they're sellers and it was their long-time home, I have someone who'll do a watercolor painting of the house for a couple hundred dollars. I also found a company that will make a 100-piece map puzzle of the area surrounding their new house with their specific address as the center ... that one's great for people with kids.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:38 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,872,805 times
I like Nest thermostats so I can help buyers save money on heating and cooling.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:55 PM

720 posts, read 922,049 times
I always give something different to each client, usually a gift card - anywhere from $50-$100 depending on the sale price.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:28 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,893,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepru View Post
i always give something different to each client, but each time i try to do 2 things:

I've given out over the years many, many different gifts from items that will become part of the house like a mailbox to items to decorate the house like a vase from tiffany's or a "welcome matt" to sporting equipment like golf clubs. I don't put my name/logo on any of these gifts but i like to think when my clients use these items that they think of me.
bingo.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:30 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,893,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy112 View Post
If they're sellers and it was their long-time home, I have someone who'll do a watercolor painting of the house for a couple hundred dollars.
You know, that would depress me. I have photos of our prior homes if I want to see them, but I wouldn't display them anyplace. I kinda feel like - that's the past, it's time to move on. Might also make me lonely for friends left behind.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:03 PM

525 posts, read 661,911 times
Our agent gave us a gift card to a home improvement store. Very helpful as we bought a fixer.

Our lender sent us a big bag of birdseed and a bird feeder. Nice thought, but they sent it to our OLD address, so we left it for the next family who moved in. I simply couldn't move another item.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:53 PM

51,657 posts, read 25,887,267 times
If the sale goes smooth, and it usually does, we usually give the agent we've worked with a gift certificate for dinner for two at whatever restaurant they've mentioned more than once over the course of things.

What else would be appreciated or have you received that was thoughtful and useful?

Old 01-25-2016, 06:58 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,456,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHdanIO View Post
Couple of questions. 1- If you're a recent home buyer, what was your closing gift from your agent and did you like it? If you haven't bought recently, what sort of closing gift would you appreciate?

2-Real Estate Agents- What do you get your buyers for closings gifts? Do you give your sellers closing gifts?

I may start changing it up a bit. I'm thinking about asking the mom & pop businesses in the town my buyers are moving to if they'd like to contribute anything to a gift basket (gift card for their restaurant, free car wash, free pizza, etc.). It'll give them a way to promote their business, as well as allow my clients to feel welcomed to the area. I'll buy a "congrats" card as well and have them all sign it welcoming them to the neighborhood. I'll probably throw in a $50 Home Depot gift card or a bottle of wine as well. Is this something you'd enjoy as a closing gift?
My agent provided a free cleaning after the sellers moved out and before we moved in. That was great, because between the time we last saw the house and it was spotless, the sellers had let it get fairly dirty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals