Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:00 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHdanIO View Post
Couple of questions. 1- If you're a recent home buyer, what was your closing gift from your agent and did you like it? If you haven't bought recently, what sort of closing gift would you appreciate?

2-Real Estate Agents- What do you get your buyers for closings gifts? Do you give your sellers closing gifts?

I may start changing it up a bit. I'm thinking about asking the mom & pop businesses in the town my buyers are moving to if they'd like to contribute anything to a gift basket (gift card for their restaurant, free car wash, free pizza, etc.). It'll give them a way to promote their business, as well as allow my clients to feel welcomed to the area. I'll buy a "congrats" card as well and have them all sign it welcoming them to the neighborhood. I'll probably throw in a $50 Home Depot gift card or a bottle of wine as well. Is this something you'd enjoy as a closing gift?
None either way, it is not necessary and I find it distasteful. We hired her to do a job, she did the job, she got paid, we do not want or need gifts from anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 07:49 PM

652 posts, read 1,304,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You know, that would depress me. I have photos of our prior homes if I want to see them, but I wouldn't display them anyplace. I kinda feel like - that's the past, it's time to move on. Might also make me lonely for friends left behind.

Just my 2 cents.

Well ... most of them do get tears in their eyes but it never occurred to me that it was because they were depressed!

Old 01-25-2016, 07:58 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If the sale goes smooth, and it usually does, we usually give the agent we've worked with a gift certificate for dinner for two at whatever restaurant they've mentioned more than once over the course of things.

What else would be appreciated or have you received that was thoughtful and useful?
The vast majority of agents don't expect anything. I'm always surprised and touched when someone gives me a gift. (Usually more often from buyers than from sellers).

I've received gas cards, Starbucks cards, gift cards for meals, and even a generous gift card that allowed me to buy a nice piece of jewelry from Kendra Scott. :-) Honestly, I don't ever expect it.

The best gift -- really -- is a nice, enthusiastic recommendation on Zillow and/or Trulia. Or a referral!

Old 01-25-2016, 08:52 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times

"You should declutter your home. Simplify," the agent says, "Oh. And, by the way, I have a couple of tchotchkes for you."

Old 01-26-2016, 09:33 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
None either way, it is not necessary and I find it distasteful. We hired her to do a job, she did the job, she got paid, we do not want or need gifts from anyone.
You must be a lot of fun at parties.

Seriously, who doesn't like to get a gift?

Most of my clients end up being friends when all is said and done. I'm always happy to give a friend a housewarming present when they move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
The best gift -- really -- is a nice, enthusiastic recommendation on Zillow and/or Trulia. Or a referral!
That kind of gift at the end of a transaction makes me incredibly happy.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:36 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

"You should declutter your home. Simplify," the agent says, "Oh. And, by the way, I have a couple of tchotchkes for you."
LOL! I'm glad none if my Realtor clients thought of it that way.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:42 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Seriously, who doesn't like to get a gift?
Most of my clients end up being friends when all is said and done. I'm always happy to give a friend a housewarming present when they move.
That kind of gift at the end of a transaction makes me incredibly happy.
Seriously I'm lots of fun at parties and I do not like gifts, never have, I depend on myself for what I want or need and have no need for someone else to spend their money on me. A realtor who met me a very short time ago would have no idea what I like or dislike and if you want to do something *nice* for me, leave me alone after closing, your job is done.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:55 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

ROTFLMAO, to resort to Old English expression.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:21 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,585 times
Ours was a friend, so his gift was he just took 2% commission, instead of 3%.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:07 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
I never received anything from a realtor, but did receive a box of cookies from a seller once
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals