Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 09:06 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times

Advertisements

4 Ideas You Need to Unlearn | Realtor Magazine

1. Reviews should be ask for during and not at the end of a transaction?

2. Teams may not be the best for the consumer due to poor communication?

3. Brokerage Tech is better than 3rd party vendor tech?

4. Managing Brokers shouldn't also sell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 09:11 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
I hate, absolutely hate, when I've executed a contract and then the other agent tells me to start contacting their closing agent. Sorry, but it's not my job to communicate with your closing person as you're still the agent on the contract and I'll continue to leave you messages or send you emails. You may send them on to your closing person if you would like, and don't get irate when I, oops, forget to copy the closer on an email.

And I don't think managing brokers should also sell. Yes, they might have their book of business from when they were selling, but they should pass them on and collect a referral fee. My last broker competed and cherry picked all the leads that came in. Plus, in Texas, with the intermediary situation, if the Broker has a listing and I bring a buyer who wants to submit an offer, it doesn't work because the Broker is supposed to be at the top of the pyramid. He can't also be on a representing side, so he has to refer out the negotiations. Same if I have a listing and he brings a buyer...

Old 01-29-2016, 09:29 AM

Yes, I get that to. Around here it's more like copy my TC on all correspondence. My next questions to them is, "Is your TC licensed?"

Maybe NAR will come up with a TC certification program?

Old 01-29-2016, 09:58 AM

211 posts, read 451,486 times
My TC is licensed and when I am asked to copy another agents TC on the emails, I will and do not have an issue what so ever. I want all the pertinent people to get the information.

I don't think managing brokers should sell with the exception of 1-2 transaction a year so they still know what it is like out here. You can't sit in your ivory tower and tell me how to deal with someone/something when you don't have current real world knowledge.

Mu business is based on reviews, I don't know if someone should review me in the midst of the transaction. It would just be a snap shot not the whole story.

I don't have opinion on the tech side. My company handles all that.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:15 PM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
1. Barf.
Barf. Barf. Barf.

2. Teams or individuals either work, or they don't. Neither approach has any inherent advantage. Execution matters regardless of model.

3. Maybe. Maybe not. For many agents, brokerage tech is baked into their fees, and they avoid giving better tech a thought. And, that convenience traps a lot of agents at brokerages by clipping their wings.

4. See #2. It is about execution. Brokers are good, or they are not good, and selling only diminishes their agent support if they use sales to avoid their responsibilities.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:09 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post

1. Reviews should be ask for during and not at the end of a transaction?

2. Teams may not be the best for the consumer due to poor communication?

3. Brokerage Tech is better than 3rd party vendor tech?

4. Managing Brokers shouldn't also sell?
1. I disagree with that. What if you get through something hard and blow it at the end in terms of customer service?

2. Some teams work, some don't. Not everyone should be on a team as some people work better as individuals.

3. I actually have my own in-house CRM/transaction/brokerage program because I couldn't find one that did everything I need it to do as a small brokerage owner. If I worked for a franchise though, I would go third party for flexibility to move.

4. I sell, but I'm small. I think once you get past a certain point you have to decide if you are going to grow or not.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:38 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post

1. Reviews should be ask for during and not at the end of a transaction? Opinion, but I understand why they say it.

2. Teams may not be the best for the consumer due to poor communication? Teams may be best for the consumer. Individual agents may be best for the consumer due to poor communication. Individual agents may be best...you get the idea. What a stupid, vague, genarailzed statement.

3. Brokerage Tech is better than 3rd party vendor tech?Depends...we all have the same opportunities. Just depends on the company.

4. Managing Brokers shouldn't also sell?Again, depends on the setup.
What a stupid waste of paper that was from the magazine. That's why mine always goes straight into the recycle bin.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:42 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I hate, absolutely hate, when I've executed a contract and then the other agent tells me to start contacting their closing agent. Sorry, but it's not my job to communicate with your closing person as you're still the agent on the contract and I'll continue to leave you messages or send you emails. You may send them on to your closing person if you would like, and don't get irate when I, oops, forget to copy the closer on an email.
Well that's a real poor, immature attitude. To say it's not your job to communicate with the closing person isn't correct. Your job is to close the deal for your client, not try and intentionally complicate the transaction.

My closing coordinator is licensed, works in the office full time, and handles everything from contract to closing. He's better than most of the agents in the market because he doesn't get tied down with prospecting, buyers, sellers, offers, etc. He closes deals.

I normally like your posts but I have to call a spade a spade on this one.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:42 PM

I think the reference came from Inman Connect NY.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:31 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Well that's a real poor, immature attitude. To say it's not your job to communicate with the closing person isn't correct. Your job is to close the deal for your client, not try and intentionally complicate the transaction.

My closing coordinator is licensed, works in the office full time, and handles everything from contract to closing. He's better than most of the agents in the market because he doesn't get tied down with prospecting, buyers, sellers, offers, etc. He closes deals.

I normally like your posts but I have to call a spade a spade on this one.
Why would it be the responsibility of one side of the transaction to learn how to navigate the communication process of the other side of the transaction? If anyone has a chance of complicating the process, it's the one with the complicated process. One person on each side of the transaction should be sufficient when communicating on behalf of the buyer or seller. KISS, right?

I kind of equate this to an agent asking me to sign up for a particular e-signing app that their own brokerage uses, (not a commonly used app, by the way) which I would have to take the time to learn to navigate and teach my customer to do the same. Then, I'd never touch that program again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals