Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 08:50 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,532 times

Advertisements

I know there is some rule or law etc. that prevents listing agents from disclosing the offer amounts received. I was just curious of why that was as it seems even if the property is receiving "low" offers then if an interested party if they wanted the property would offer more. The only was I see the secrecy being beneficial is that hopefully someone would come in and offer a significant amount more then all offers not knowing the value the majority are placing. Would this be why? Just curious is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 09:24 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
I know there is some rule or law etc. that prevents listing agents from disclosing the offer amounts received. I was just curious of why that was as it seems even if the property is receiving "low" offers then if an interested party if they wanted the property would offer more. The only was I see the secrecy being beneficial is that hopefully someone would come in and offer a significant amount more then all offers not knowing the value the majority are placing. Would this be why? Just curious is all.
The contents of any offer is confidential information as defined by most state laws. The seller can tell an agent to disclose the contents of the offer to other prospects though. The seller just has to direct the agent to do so. I don't do it often, but there have been situations when I felt disclosing something about the offer would be helpful with other buyers. I talked it over with my clients, and they agreed to allow me to discuss it.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:32 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Our NCAR Buyer Agency agreement cites NC REC rule that prohibits a the seller/agent from disclosing price or terms of a buyers offer prior to getting written permission from the buyer to reveal the price and terms of their offer. It is couched in terms of a disclosure to the client that all agents may not comply with the rules.

If you were the buyer, would you agree to having your offer shopped to all buyers?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:52 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
All the above plus, as a seller, you wouldn't want prospective buyers to know how little you were willing to accept. What if the first contract falls apart? Maybe the next one might be better but, odds are, it won't be if the next buyer is told what was acceptable before. In most cases, it just makes no sense.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:09 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
How can you get in a bidding war if you don't know what the offers are?

Old 03-14-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
How can you get in a bidding war if you don't know what the offers are?
1. There is no such thing as a "bidding war."
2. In a multiple offer situation, you offer what you are willing to pay.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:54 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I abhor the term "bidding war." There's just no such thing in real estate at least around these parts.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I abhor the term "bidding war." There's just no such thing in real estate at least around these parts.
It is a term used by passive aggressive buyers with a failure mentality.
Some people work overtime to rationalize ways to not get what they say they want. "Bidding War" is a common theme.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:26 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Quote:
It is a term used by passive aggressive buyers with a failure mentality.
Some people work overtime to rationalize ways to not get what they say they want. "Bidding War" is a common theme.
Well said, gentlemen.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:43 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
If two (or more) offers are competing against each other, couldn't it be considered a "war"? Would "offer war" be more appropriate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals