Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:19 AM

735 posts, read 871,935 times

Advertisements

All they seem to do is super saturate the pictures, which as a buyer puts my teeth on edge, but if that is what the market wants I can easily replicate the look.

We have all seen enough horrendous listing shots to know the big mistakes, toss in some time on the google, some youtube videos and studying why you like certain pictures and it should be a skill easily conquered. Technology has gotten to the point that it's pretty inexpensive to get a feature rich camera including 360 degree pictures. Finally, staging should be pretty much the same whether it's for an open house or for the pics.

Drones tend to be hit or miss, but I could see times when it would make sense to hire that out.

Took a couple of photo classes in high school and did okay. The teacher who was in charge of the yearbook asked me to be a photographer for that years book after seeing my work, I turned him down, because who would want to volunteer to spend more time at school? I will never have an amazing instagram account, but pictures of kitchens and backyards doesn't exactly sound hard. Am I missing something? Too time consuming? Do you folks hire it out or just take out your cell and snap away? Any thoughts or insight would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 11:34 AM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
All they seem to do is super saturate the pictures, which as a buyer puts my teeth on edge, but if that is what the market wants I can easily replicate the look.

We have all seen enough horrendous listing shots to know the big mistakes, toss in some time on the google, some youtube videos and studying why you like certain pictures and it should be a skill easily conquered. Technology has gotten to the point that it's pretty inexpensive to get a feature rich camera including 360 degree pictures. Finally, staging should be pretty much the same whether it's for an open house or for the pics.

Drones tend to be hit or miss, but I could see times when it would make sense to hire that out.

Took a couple of photo classes in high school and did okay. The teacher who was in charge of the yearbook asked me to be a photographer for that years book after seeing my work, I turned him down, because who would want to volunteer to spend more time at school? I will never have an amazing instagram account, but pictures of kitchens and backyards doesn't exactly sound hard. Am I missing something? Too time consuming? Do you folks hire it out or just take out your cell and snap away? Any thoughts or insight would be great.
The camera only sees what you see. You just have better perception than a lot of people, many of whom expect the camera to do all the work.
Oversaturated HDR stuff looks awful, I agree.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:48 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
It comes down to the difference between someone who can shoot a photo (which tends to be most "pros") and someone who can create an image. A real pro will first be sure that there is nothing in the photos that shouldn't be there and will be sure that everything in the image is positioned correctly. They are very detail oriented. They then use the right equipment to get the right composition which includes selecting the best camera position and the best focal length for the job in an effort to get the most detail with the least distortion. Plus, they use top quality glass and cameras that have the best imaging processors. Next, they work to get the lighting right in every part of the image. Sure, many good photos can be achieved with ambient light or even a single external light source but the best images have multiple light sources that are all correctly balanced and properly exposed while remaining undetectable in the image. Last, they use post-production skills to get the color balance and exposure right so the image pops. Doing all of these things well requires an excellent knowledge of the equipment and the principles behind the choices that are made.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:33 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
The average person/realtor can't get properly exposed interior shots without overexposed window views. In my market, the oceanfront view is the top feature of most properties. Shooting a properly exposed shot of a room with a wall of glass and an oceanview is impossible without HDR in the hands of an experienced photographer. I wouldn't dream of not hiring a pro to shoot an oceanfront listing.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:47 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Exactly correct, and the opposite is NOT just the worst stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
It comes down to the difference between someone who can shoot a photo (which tends to be most "pros") and someone who can create an image. A real pro will first be sure that there is nothing in the photos that shouldn't be there and will be sure that everything in the image is positioned correctly. They are very detail oriented. They then use the right equipment to get the right composition which includes selecting the best camera position and the best focal length for the job in an effort to get the most detail with the least distortion. Plus, they use top quality glass and cameras that have the best imaging processors. Next, they work to get the lighting right in every part of the image. Sure, many good photos can be achieved with ambient light or even a single external light source but the best images have multiple light sources that are all correctly balanced and properly exposed while remaining undetectable in the image. Last, they use post-production skills to get the color balance and exposure right so the image pops. Doing all of these things well requires an excellent knowledge of the equipment and the principles behind the choices that are made.
Everything bbronston says is 100% true -- somebody that shoots dozens or hundreds of quality layouts for real estate listings is going to have a long list of things that have worked as well as deep experience with what to avoid.

Knowledge of the correct lens choices, lighting, exposure and post-production subtle corrections are all part of the skills a pro will have, but the best real estate photographers also have a keen sense of how to compose the shot so that there is an appropriate scale achieved for what are essentially "still lifes" that will help potential buyers understand the lay out of each room, the site on which the home is located, and even the neighboring properties. This is NOT something that every person that bills their business as "professional" does have, nor is it impossible for a skilled real estate broker to develop these same skills.

The thing I am tempted to do is link to some the horrible thread posted in here to show how awful many listing photos turn out. I suppose I could also link to sites that have a rotating collection of terrible photos that do nothing to help get buyers interested in properties, but that is NOT the primary thing to avoid. The reason that a real pro should be sought out is because in the increasingly VISUALLY DRIVEN world of the marketing that happens on the web it is imperative that sellers ensure their home stands out in a GOOD WAY, and that includes NOT having photos that are obviously manipulated. To do that would be just as dishonest as using a "supermodel" in your online dating profile and then when potential dates see you in real life you have ZERO credibility and no chance of a second date.

Buyers will not make offers on homes that have been through an a huge "Photoshop" effort that makes dark rooms with tiny windows look like they are filled with light. A real pro will know that they are NOT being asked to "make all the wrinkles go away and tighten things up with 'digital Botox" but instead a pro will understand that subtle corrections that make the online 2D image seem as natural and believable as the real life image is really why they help get homes sold more quickly and for top dollar.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:41 PM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
I spend a lot of time looking at real estate websites, and it just amazes me the number of listings with crappy photography. I wouldn't expect magazine quality pics, but some of the stuff out there is just BAD. Speaks poorly of the agent, in my (buyer's) opinion.

The listing photos for the house we're in now were horrible. New construction house that sat for quite awhile. We saw the sign and looked in the windows before asking to see it, but I've always wondered if the pictures contributed to the long sale time.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:42 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,989 times
I can only look at so many pictures of the corners of rooms before I pass.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:04 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
^^^^ This

Old 03-24-2016, 02:30 PM

174 posts, read 170,273 times
There are definitely some agents that take good photos, and understand the role they play in marketing a home. The VAST majority who "take out their cell & snap away", take horrible photos. I'm an agent, and a photographer, and for the most part, once an agent hires me to shoot a home (that has not had professional photos done before), they never go back. The different in interest on the buyer side is that extreme.

There is even some pro work out there that I don't care for, but it becomes a matter of personal taste I guess. The way home-buyers search now, you have such small window to catch their attention, a home needs to to look it's best to generate interest.

The idea is not to trick people, though, it's just to get them to take a second look and hopefully want to see the home. I NEVER Photoshop anything that would misrepresent the condition or location of a house. But waiting until the light is best, and showing the best features in an understated way is something we (photographers) spend a lot of time thinking about and learning how to translate into good images, that will get that second, & third look.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:54 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,727 times
some agents hire crappy photographers who crank up the saturation.

usually when I see supersaturated pictures, they're usually outdoor photos with super blue skies and super green foliage.

a photo should reflect the actual colors when the room is well lit.

Would you consider this oversaturated?....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals