Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:39 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnyprob1 View Post
I went myself to look at the house but I pretty much fell in love with the place. I am aware of the work that needs to be done . It seems as if my folks are upset that I didn't take them for a second opinion. But as you are mentioning this is my money and my home. I like the place. I do t know if my parents are jealous or something as to why they are acting this way. My friends and co workers are more supportive yet here my parents are just complaining. What is wrong with this picture????
Mnyprob, may I introduce you to your twin brother? //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...ing-house.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 03:18 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
So you had your inspection and renegotiated and/or signed off on that stage?

And what about your appraisal. Have you had you loan appraisal yet? The appraiser said all was good for your particular loan?

Are the stairs handled by an association or the homeowner?

Old 06-04-2016, 08:01 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Mnyprob1, welcome to the world where people have no sense of keeping thoughts to themselves. While this phenomenon appears in everything we do, I have observed it feels most brutal in two distinct areas: pending parenthood and pending homeownership. I don't know what is wrong with people, and yes, some are the closest to us. There's just something about the bubble of excitement that permeates your experience and darned if they let you enjoy the experience. Family, friends and co-workers are known for instilling doubts, so much so, you start questioning every decision around the event. You will see much written about buyer's remorse. But what they don't warn you about are the "helpful" people in your life. These folks fan the flames of buyer's remorse, and since they know you well, they know the exact buttons to push. Tune them out, rely on your Realtor and lender, and stop questioning yourself.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:14 PM

7 posts, read 4,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Mnyprob1, welcome to the world where people have no sense of keeping thoughts to themselves. While this phenomenon appears in everything we do, I have observed it feels most brutal in two distinct areas: pending parenthood and pending homeownership. I don't know what is wrong with people, and yes, some are the closest to us. There's just something about the bubble of excitement that permeates your experience and darned if they let you enjoy the experience. Family, friends and co-workers are known for instilling doubts, so much so, you start questioning every decision around the event. You will see much written about buyer's remorse. But what they don't warn you about are the "helpful" people in your life. These folks fan the flames of buyer's remorse, and since they know you well, they know the exact buttons to push. Tune them out, rely on your Realtor and lender, and stop questioning yourself.
Friends and co workers are more excited about me purchasing the house. I had a huge argument with both my parents this weekend about this house. They go yelling about how much that it is going to cost me to make modifications to the house that I need this and that and that I will go bankrupt. My father on the other hand is shouting that I should tell my attorney to back me out of the deal and get my earnest money back. He claims that I can back out of the deal and tell the bank and seller that I can't afford to do the modifications, . He doesn't realize that I am 2 weeks away from closing and my attorney stated to me if I back out of the contract the seller not only will keep my earnest money of 3000.00 but will also sue me for breech of contract. I bet that any one on this post will agree with me on that. Right? I spoke to a good friend of mine who had his house for 16 years and he still does work to it. And my friend told me that I should just take one thing at a time. I don't know what the hell is wrong with my folks. First of all they aren't helping me with anything as far as this house goes. They are just criticizing . They are pushing me into getting a heart attack about this house.
I am only 41 years old . I am too young to start having heart issues or any other health issues. Please help.

Last edited by Mnyprob1; 06-05-2016 at 08:25 PM..

Old 06-05-2016, 10:07 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Friends and co workers are more excited about me purchasing the house. I had a huge argument with both my parents this weekend about this house. They go yelling about how much that it is going to cost me to make modifications to the house that I need this and that and that I will go bankrupt. My father on the other hand is shouting that I should tell my attorney to back me out of the deal and get my earnest money back. He claims that I can back out of the deal and tell the bank and seller that I can't afford to do the modifications, . He doesn't realize that I am 2 weeks away from closing and my attorney stated to me if I back out of the contract the seller not only will keep my earnest money of 3000.00 but will also sue me for breech of contract. I bet that any one on this post will agree with me on that. Right? I spoke to a good friend of mine who had his house for 16 years and he still does work to it. And my friend told me that I should just take one thing at a time. I don't know what the hell is wrong with my folks. First of all they aren't helping me with anything as far as this house goes. They are just criticizing . They are pushing me into getting a heart attack about this house.
I am only 41 years old . I am too young to start having heart issues or any other health issues. Please help.

How do you handle them? You tell them that if they wish to discuss your problems with the house, they can talk with each other but you are done listening. Then leave.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:11 AM

7 posts, read 4,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
How do you handle them? You tell them that if they wish to discuss your problems with the house, they can talk with each other but you are done listening. Then leave.
And another thing. They act hysterical over all of this. They go complaining that I will go broke after I am done fixing everything.?yet when they were fixing their house they had money left over from my grandparents to do everything. They didn't have money to pay out of their own pocket.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:09 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,214 times
Quote:
And another thing. They act hysterical over all of this. They go complaining that I will go broke after I am done fixing everything.?yet when they were fixing their house they had money left over from my grandparents to do everything. They didn't have money to pay out of their own pocket.
Repeat after me.

I'm a big boy and can make my own decisions.

Practice saying that to your parents.

Repeat as often as needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals