Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Sometimes in a small town, you do the small town thing.
That may mean newspaper ads and your MLS for other agents.
You will be smart to pick from that limited pool of agents who know your town, than to reinvent the wheel and market where those agents will not find you.

Is that how Buyers are finding properties in your area, the newspaper?
Boring? Maybe. A little behind the times? Maybe, in some areas.
But if it is how property is being successfully marketed and conveyed locally... Well, are you looking for a sale, or for marketing style points?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Be careful because the most signs up may mean the agent that overprices the highest and has the most unsold houses, you might not want to add yours to that unimpressive list. I am thoroughly convinced that some agents like to see their signs with their picutres on them as they drive around the community. They also feel they'll get buyers at your expense and who needs that? Let them advertise on their own, not on your house!
Both of these offer sound advice.

In many smaller communities, print advertizing still rules. I think a lot depends upon where the buyers are coming from and why. Where are those buyers looking when they want to buy a home? It all depends.

As it relates to the agent with the most signs in town, request the original ask versus close price and days on the market for listing over the past 6- 12 months. This is going to tell a better story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 04:59 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

As it relates to the agent with the most signs in town, request the original ask versus close price and days on the market for listing over the past 6- 12 months. This is going to tell a better story.
Nowawadys you also need to know the entire history. In my MLS, it's common for a listing to expire after 180 days only to be renewed as a new listing and then go under contract in 30 days at (the new) full price. Without diving deeply into the facts, it would appear that the agent is a hero. Actually the house was on the market for 210 days and the agent overpriced it back then. Unfortunately the only agent who is going to point that out to you is a competitor. When I act as a Buyer Agent, I make it clear to my clients how long the house has really been on the market. As a potential home seller, you are at a disadvantage unless you know the whole story.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:23 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
Brandon,

I see what you are driving at, but there are numerous agents in Atlanta who have great web sites, show up in all of the searches but when you look at their production, they don't do anywhere as well as some of the "little old ladies" who have been at it forever and sell a lot simply due to their connections and expereince.

Just a thought.
That's why you interview them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals