Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 PM

52 posts, read 199,180 times

Advertisements

I am licensed in California and Nevada. I live in Nevada and have my license with a Nevada brokerage. I have my California license hanging non-MLS-status with a company in Cali (San Diego).

I would like to make a home purchase myself in California, do I have to go through my Nevada broker or my California broker(my license on ice)?

Do I have to join the MLS realtor asso in california? ..i do not have access to California RE forms.

If I go through my Nevada broker (they are not licensed in California) will I get the California real estate commission>?

Basically, what I want to do is, go through whichever brokerage, but I don't want to pay the Realtor Association and MLS fees in California, if that can be avoided.

Any answers or comments would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
I am licensed in California and Nevada. I live in Nevada and have my license with a Nevada brokerage. I have my California license hanging non-MLS-status with a company in Cali (San Diego).

I would like to make a home purchase myself in California, do I have to go through my Nevada broker or my California broker(my license on ice)?

Do I have to join the MLS realtor asso in california? ..i do not have access to California RE forms.

If I go through my Nevada broker (they are not licensed in California) will I get the California real estate commission>?

Basically, what I want to do is, go through whichever brokerage, but I don't want to pay the Realtor Association and MLS fees in California, if that can be avoided.

Any answers or comments would be great.
I would call the California Association of Realtors and get the answer first hand.

My thought is that your California license is inactive so you could not do business in California without hanging your license with a CA broker and paying the appropriate dues.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:14 PM

My license is active in California, its hanging in non-mls status...(mortgage status).

OP

Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
In Florida, we can pay a referral fee to another brokerage (it always has to be paid to the brokerage or an attorney) but that person is not allowed to do business in the state...they can't come into the state to do business. Since you are considered a 'buyer' not a sales associate with regards to purchasing your own property, your agency can send you to another agency as a 'referral' and can be paid for it. There is no limit on the referral fee...so in essence it can be a full commission. I have no clue if it's the same in your state.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:27 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
You can use your NV license to purchase a property in CA. CA law permits the payment of commissions to licensees outside the state.

The question is why would you pay yourself a commission on a property you are buying? Subtract the amount of the commission due the selling agent from the offering price.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:00 AM

Default OP-broker to broker

Let me clarify:

I understand since I am licensed in Cali that the commission can be paid to a licensee outside of Cali.
However, do I go through my broker in Nevada in a Nevada purchase agreement or do I go through my broker in Calif with a Calif purchase agreement (I dont have acess to the CA forms). And if I go through my nevada broker (that doesnt do business in Ca) is that a problem.
Looks like I will call the Realtor Assoc or the DRE.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:21 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
Let us know what they say. It was always my understanding that you hang your license in one state with one broker. I'm getting an education.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I'd go with the form in the state that the property is in. NV law doesn't freely translate to CA. The disclosure should be that you are licensed in both states. I still don't get why you would want to pay yourself a commission on a property you are buying.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:53 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
In general "hanging license" Brokers can do a transaction. So you would do the transaction with your CA license.

The coop is another matter. That is an MLS contract and not offered to any RE Agent. You would likely have to negotiate a coop agreement with the listing broker on any proprty you wished to buy. Your CA broker likely knows all about this.

You can also use your NV broker as a basis for a referral and do it that way. You can get any referral amount that you negotiate with the listing broker. It is paid by the CA listing broker to your NV broker.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 7,089 times
I am a broker lic. in Ca. I cought one of my realtors doing business under another company.As per dre I terminated this realtor and she had just closed a deal.Would i Be obligated to pay her commision on a this deal even thought she had another deal threw another broker.This all while under my Lic. she could have gotten me in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals