Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 05:19 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2NC View Post
Mike, I guess since you own a firm you probably deal with a lot of agents who don't comply but pretty much everything is done electronically (dotloop, docusign) so when I work with clients (whether they close or not) all my paperwork is there. Anyways, that's a whole other thread, LOL!

I'm not going the attorney route...it would cost more in atty fees, time and aggravation. I did receive another email from the VP of sales and he said he wants to do the right thing and will speak to my BIC.....may HE is the UNICORN! I was shocked as his first response was pretty much the standard corporate response about policies, etc. But when I asked if it was company policy not to disclose the fee until an agent is leaving, it seemed to make him at least offer to look into it. Whether it works out in my favor or not is another thing but if it does, I'm buying a lottery ticket!

Thanks to all of you for the responses. I will keep you posted!
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 12:15 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
I would imagine that you signed some type of Broker Associate Contract.

either that document spelled it out, or only included a generic "has read and agreed to company policies". And it would be spelled out there.

Although we're all independent contractors, with the emphasis on independent ... at the end of the day the clients legally "belong" to the brokerage during the period they are under an active agency agreement. Selling or buying.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:57 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times
I don't think they have to disclose that they are going to do this, because all of the transactions belong them. All agreements make the transactions belong to the broker. As agents we can't do business any other way. They can keep all of it, but have decided not to in your case. I don't think you would have a case.

As far as what I think is right or wrong I would have to know more first before deciding.

Asking about this is a good idea before joining a firm. My broker does not keep listings if you leave and that was disclosed to me when I signed up. So it was disclosed that they will GIVE them to me at that time. It is always given that they belong to the broker in the first place. You can't require someone to give away something that is theirs because they didn't disclose that they would keep their own property.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:38 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I would imagine that you signed some type of Broker Associate Contract.

either that document spelled it out, or only included a generic "has read and agreed to company policies". And it would be spelled out there.

Although we're all independent contractors, with the emphasis on independent ... at the end of the day the clients legally "belong" to the brokerage during the period they are under an active agency agreement. Selling or buying.
I with Bo. I know when I associated with my brokerage I signed an independent contractor agreement. It not only had the "read and agree to company policies" language in it, but it also had an addendum attached with my split schedule spelled out. The body of the agreement also has language stating that if I were to leave that any pending transactions would be paid out at a 50% split.

If you didn't sign anything that spelled out this policy or were not shown an office policy pamphlet with it, I wouldn't think you would have to sue. You could probably file a grievance with your local Realtor board provided the office is a member.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:59 PM

Why are some of you saying that the brokerage has to disclose that they plan on keeping what belongs to them?

Old 01-21-2018, 03:22 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Why are some of you saying that the brokerage has to disclose that they plan on keeping what belongs to them?
It's called being a decent human being.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It's called being a decent human being.
I see what you mean and I do agree with it. I can see how he might be in the right morally, but legally? Its why I was saying before that it is a good question to ask when looking for a broker. If he tried to fight it, what case would he have?

Old 01-21-2018, 04:18 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
you have some written split agreement, right?

you write your name on listing agreements and buyer purchase contracts also.

all those clients belong to the brokerage. But you have an agreement in place.

How they treat under contract buyers, under contract sellers, and active listings can differ - but they probably have a treatment for them.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you have some written split agreement, right?

you write your name on listing agreements and buyer purchase contracts also.

all those clients belong to the brokerage. But you have an agreement in place.

How they treat under contract buyers, under contract sellers, and active listings can differ - but they probably have a treatment for them.
None of this post makes and sense. They have a treatment for them?

Old 01-21-2018, 07:59 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
If it's not in your independent contractor contract, I don't believe they can do it. You should look into that because your contract will tell you what will happen while you're there, and when you leave. The reason you sign a contract is so you know all the terms of what you've agreed to. You should try doing an Arbitration hearing with your Professional Standards committee. It's either run by your local board or your state board, but every state has a way to do Arbitration as I sit on the committee in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals