Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 08:27 AM

628 posts, read 663,288 times

Advertisements

Wondering how much the agent pays for magazine ads, on line subscriptions, business cards, etc... I imagine the answer varies depending on company but am curious if there is anything close to an industry standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 08:31 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
no industry standard at all.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:22 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Yeah - not sure there's any standard, but I don't know any brokerages locally that pay for ANY of the things you list. As agents we buy all of our own memberships, subscriptions, business cards, signs, and marketing.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:08 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Correct, no industry standard. Agents usually pay for the bulk of the marketing. Some franchises offer national level deals on some things but still normally the agent that pays.

Brokerages actually have very small margins. Agents have a much better profit margin than a brokerage usually.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:23 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
I met with a realtor about listing my house and she does all the marketing but if I decided to take it off the market, I would have to pay her $350.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:22 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I met with a realtor about listing my house and she does all the marketing but if I decided to take it off the market, I would have to pay her $350.
Thats a bargain...just my photography and flyers would cost that...not to mention sign placement, any print advertising, open house food/drinks, staging items,etc.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:03 PM

93 posts, read 66,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Thats a bargain...just my photography and flyers would cost that...not to mention sign placement, any print advertising, open house food/drinks, staging items,etc.

Agents often come here and justify the high cost of sales commission by saying that they take the risk of clients who do not proceed to buy or sell a home. So either this risk is built into the price of commission or not. If it's not built into the price then iit might be "a bargain" to "just" pay $350. Otherwise, it's no bargain to pay this "risk premium" built into the high cost of commission and then pay exit fees as well.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:20 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
well see, just_because, the seller signed an agreement saying they would have their house listed for sale for a certain period of time, and they would pay $X if they decided to take it off the market.

how you can twist that shouldn't surprise me. I just hope anyone else who decides to read this thread isn't confused by your post.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:53 AM

93 posts, read 66,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well see, just_because, the seller signed an agreement saying they would have their house listed for sale for a certain period of time, and they would pay $X if they decided to take it off the market.

how you can twist that shouldn't surprise me. I just hope anyone else who decides to read this thread isn't confused by your post.

I don't know if you're responding to me but there is no twisting here. Pretty basic. If an agent is taking the risk that the seller (or buyer) will not proceed to consummating a deal where the agent will make commission, then that risk is priced into the commission. If the agent is requiring the seller (or buyer) to bear that risk via exit fees, then the cost of that risk should not be built into the price. Simple. Not sure what there is to disagree with here. I don't understand your point. We all assume that the buyer has signed an agreement to this effect. So stating it like it proves anything is a waste of words. I never said that the agent is wrong (or right) for charging an exit fee and I assumed it was clear up front in the agreement.

As stated, agents come here and justify the high cost of commission by saying that significant % of sellers and buyers walk away leaving the agent with the costs. Agents often assume that consumers do not want to bear this risk and prefer the "typical" model where it's built into the price. I don't know what all consumers want but personally, I think that if sellers bear the risk that they will change their mind, etc in exchange for lower commission rates, this could be a good thing as it will clearly dissuade some consumers from engaging with an agent until/unless they are serious. If walk aways are really such a big problem and are driving up commission fees for everyone, then that seems like an easy answer to lowering commission fees.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:57 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'll Say View Post
Agents often come here and justify the high cost of sales commission by saying that they take the risk of clients who do not proceed to buy or sell a home. So either this risk is built into the price of commission or not. If it's not built into the price then iit might be "a bargain" to "just" pay $350. Otherwise, it's no bargain to pay this "risk premium" built into the high cost of commission and then pay exit fees as well.
Huh? Spottednike was dead on.....$350 is a bargain. Signs aren't free, nor lockboxes, or flyers or open houses (wherever they are still held), or professional photographers.

I rep'd you by accident, meant to hit the quote button - so there is really one less person that agrees with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals