Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 01:39 PM

269 posts, read 247,686 times

Advertisements

My home has been listed since November 1st, 2019 in South Florida which seems like a pretty quick market. My concern is that when I send an email or text to my realtor regarding the home, showings, pricing, etc. he often doesn’t acknowledge or reply for more than 24 hours. It’s fairly infrequent that I send such a communication to him, perhaps once every two weeks. It’s just I would expect a salesperson on contract to earn $9,000 from sale of my home to be a little more engaged with me. Are my expectations unrealistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 02:24 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,353,739 times
Don't forget that with the Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years holidays with the agent and their family might have resulted in delayed responses. Bottom line though, you could discuss the matter with the Broker in Charge (BIC) about your concerns and either request a different Realtor from their office or possible release you from their agency agreement. Normally, I would expect some contact from your agent or their office within 24 hours to any response you make.

No, it is not typical to have little communication like you explained, but it does occasionally happen. My mother just sold a vacant lot about 2 weeks ago and was having trouble communicating with her selling agent. The transaction closed without any trouble, but her agent's mother just passed away a week ago. Realtors do have lives outside the business and certain circumstances could be involved with your agent as well.

I do wish you the best and understand your frustration.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
In my most recent transaction, my Realtor and I texted. He always responded in what seemed like quick time to me.

I would just have a conversation about communication expectations with your agent.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:47 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,353,739 times
I will agree that texting seems to be the modern and most efficient way to communicate with most people in this day and age. I sometimes don't hear my phone and miss a call, but an incoming text is quickly noticed and easy to respond to for most.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:16 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzimme View Post
My home has been listed since November 1st, 2019 in South Florida which seems like a pretty quick market. My concern is that when I send an email or text to my realtor regarding the home, showings, pricing, etc. he often doesn’t acknowledge or reply for more than 24 hours. It’s fairly infrequent that I send such a communication to him, perhaps once every two weeks. It’s just I would expect a salesperson on contract to earn $9,000 from sale of my home to be a little more engaged with me. Are my expectations unrealistic?
I don't agree with the texting and email business. You need to call him on the phone and let your voice convey your need to talk to him and your annoyance at lack of response, assuming that his disdain for you is chronic and not excusable by the holiday season. Also assuming that you aren't just looking for hand holding.

By the way, if your home hasn't sold in two months in a "pretty quick market" you may have other issues that don't involve your realtor. Price, condition, desirability, location, volume of homes available in your location, etc. Could be any number of things. You may have to do a little soul searching to get it sold.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:26 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzimme View Post
If you hadn't listed over the holiday season, I would say yes, but holidays are busy family times with relatives coming into town or families going out of town.

You should be getting regular updates from your agent though, regardless of season. I'd be more concerned that you aren't getting any kind of weekly or bi-monthly update.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:28 PM

269 posts, read 247,686 times
Thank you for your responses. Yes, I'm definitely not looking for hand-holding, only a timely response to my text and or email(s) which are pretty infrequent, perhaps one or less per week.

The realtor had me sign a listing agreement on 1 November and since he knew I was doing massive upgrades on the home, did not list it until 5 December. Another concern of mine is that it appears in trulia, redfin, realtor etc as if it has been available since 1 November when that is not the case. It definitely was not made available to show by the realtor until 5 December and it immediately appeared to be a month old listing. I was fairly disappointed upon seeing this but have not discussed with him. I emailed him yesterday about his opinion on my dropping the listing price $10k but he's not replied yet. Perhaps he doesn't check his email regularly??? I'd expect a realtor to be able to respond to a question like this. Maybe he doesn't work on Sundays. I could ask him these questions.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:30 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Ask his opinion, but if you want to change the price, just do it.

You do seem anxious.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:03 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
There is really no good excuse for taking over 24 hours to respond to a listing client, holidays or not. There is the remote possibility that your email landed in a spam folder. It happens. Tell him you need prompt responses in a kind but firm tone and I imagine his response time will improve. No need to drag his broker into this.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:00 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Unacceptable. He is working FOR you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals