Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 09:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times

Advertisements

When sales brochure states owner wants down payment, and then new loan at specific interest, what does that even mean?

Buyer, if doesnt have total sales price worth of money on hand, gets loan from bank. Buyer pays bank the down payment, and gets rest of money equal to sales price. Then Buyer hands all to the owner to complete the sale.

Just been looking at some sales brochure, and read in the "finance" section, the owner wants a 35% down payment, and then new loan for rest. Why say that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 09:03 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
IMHO, the seller wants to be certain that the potential buyer isn't just kicking tires. In other words, "Don't bother if you want to waste my time unless you are making a serious offer". Often, they seller wants a solid offer, or if the house won't appraise to the selling price and qualify for a conventional loan without the large down payment. We can only speculate at this point.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:48 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
IMHO, the seller wants to be certain that the potential buyer isn't just kicking tires. In other words, "Don't bother if you want to waste my time unless you are making a serious offer". Often, they seller wants a solid offer, or if the house won't appraise to the selling price and qualify for a conventional loan without the large down payment. We can only speculate at this point.
This COULD be the reason...but...35% is a rather large downpayment, and would exclude a great many buyers, even buyers with strong financials.

I wonder if this is an attempt to limit the interest to "our kind of people."

Is there something out of typical here, either very high or very low price??

Old 01-29-2020, 11:17 AM

I agree that a 35% down payment is very high, but we don't know for certain why it was requested. Some sellers can demand ridiculous things even if their Realtor advised against it. We can only speculate. Just offering my opinion on the matter.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:42 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
I guess the owner wants to make it harder to sell his property. Try asking him or his agent.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Probably is that. I wasnt sure if this was a normal practice. Like when they advertise below market rents. The brochure I see is for an investment multi-family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
This COULD be the reason...but...35% is a rather large downpayment, and would exclude a great many buyers, even buyers with strong financials.

I wonder if this is an attempt to limit the interest to "our kind of people."

Is there something out of typical here, either very high or very low price??
Is possible too. In NYC, sometimes, you cannot get a tour of the property, or any kind of info like floorplans unless you send in an official offer.

The property I see is for investment multi-family in Orange County CA for about $2mil. I am thinking is this too good to be true. Well, its not along the shoreline as in one of the larger cities of that county. But I have been to both places before, and neither city looks that rough at least not by Northeast standards.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I guess the owner wants to make it harder to sell his property. Try asking him or his agent.
Yeh I just was not sure whether this is a common practice. I wanted to ask here first. I not want approach them, and make myself seem as if I am inexperienced, which I am of course.

One time I ask what must have been a silly question, and I never hear back from broker. Probably only wants "serious" buyers.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:01 PM

577 posts, read 663,271 times
They may be offering owner financing if they are talking about down payment and interest rate?

Old 01-29-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigW View Post
They may be offering owner financing if they are talking about down payment and interest rate?
That is a possibility I hadn't thought of.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigW View Post
The sales brochure specifically stated pay 35% down first, and then get a loan for rest of money and names a specific interest rate for 10 years too, and 30 years of amortization.

Why will some one want owner financing, if buyer can just buy out completely with own money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals