Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 09:51 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by talktome View Post
I tried to, it's not that easy. I tried to report them to the IRS on the internet website and hit roadblocks. It just didn't work.

What roadblocks?

There's a form you fill out and send in to get things started.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-...fraud-activity

Did you use it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 05:14 AM

25 posts, read 10,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
So what you are saying is that some of your rentals were vacant per your property manager, but they really had tenants living in them? How do you know there were tenants living in them?
Yes.
I knew there were tenants in some of them 6 months into the management agreement I just didn't know the con artist agent was not entering their names or their rental income into the 'books'. The 'con artist agent' was manipulating me and deceiving me and using diversion tactics to steer me onto a different path as her method of me avoiding learning the truth. Then when I did get the ultimate knowledge that the tenants' names nor the rental income was being entered into their bookkeeping (I learned of this set of tenants being there because they telephoned into the new management company taking over, from me telephoning the electric company and receiving tenant names and the broker's 1099 figures didn't compare to my prior years' figures), I told the broker the tenant names I learned and she still stuck by her employee and told me the apts were vacant. After much yelling and screaming, the broker finally visited our property and confronted one of the tenants. Plus, a building listed as 'vacant' in the broker's bookkeeping should not have water usage for those months...the water bill should reflect 0 gallons of water usage.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
What roadblocks?

There's a form you fill out and send in to get things started.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-...fraud-activity

Did you use it?
I will go to this cite that you sent to me. Thank you very much!

Old 06-04-2020, 05:32 AM

I welcome all of your responses and if anyone can help me along this path of what I can do next I sure would definitely appreciate it. Any and all helpful hints. I still can't believe they dodged being liable.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:38 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
If you can document utility usage, you should compile that information and submit it to the state licensing authority. Maybe they will take a second look at your complaint (assuming that you didn't provide that information before).

If possible, can you have someone track down the tenants and get statements from them? That might be your best bet.

Yours is an extreme case, but it does provide another anecdote as to why real estate investments should be kept local. Even if you choose to not do property management yourself, you'd be much better off if you could simply drive by to check on your investments from time to time.

Old 06-05-2020, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
If you can document utility usage, you should compile that information and submit it to the state licensing authority. Maybe they will take a second look at your complaint (assuming that you didn't provide that information before).

If possible, can you have someone track down the tenants and get statements from them? That might be your best bet.

Yours is an extreme case, but it does provide another anecdote as to why real estate investments should be kept local. Even if you choose to not do property management yourself, you'd be much better off if you could simply drive by to check on your investments from time to time.
Thank you for this information and your thoughts. I understand it is important to do a drive by just to check. Remember back to the horrible case of the extremely clever con-artist (Mr. Bernard Madoff for instance who had the ability to lie and cover up and had the audacity to send his clients fake statements for their accounts), well, I speak of one who is just as clever...you can throw her boss,broker,employer and defense attorneys in there as well for not holding her or her boss responsible. My perpetrator is so clever that she can hide in plain sight. I think the fact that my case is, as you say 'so extreme', it gives these defendants and their attorneys a challenge that is almost fun and exciting for them. It, however, has not been fun and exciting for me. It has been devastating in many aspects. I am not able to locate the tenants she had in my properties because they were all on parole and their paper trails do not lead me to where they are presently residing. I tried telephone numbers that showed up in various google searches that were connected with their names and none of them matched up and I mailed letters to the tenants' addresses that were connected with their names and all of the letters came back as undelivered.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:32 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
It certainly sounds like you have cause to make a report to the state licensing authority. I hope you do that!

Old 06-05-2020, 12:47 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
I really hope this works out for OP. I hate seeing people taken advantage of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals