Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 02:56 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,856,499 times

Advertisements

I called yesterday to set up a showing for a home for tonight, the listing agent said that is fine, but just to let you know, there is a second showing today (that was yesterday), I told her, ok, thanks for the update, and just so you are aware, my clients are very active and ready to buy. So, today she calls me and says, we are getting an offer in today, so it's up to you if you want to go and see it, but if they accept the offer, that will be it, just so you know, and call me prior to going in and I will update you on the status. I said, very kindly, well, if you don't have the offer in your hand, and you have three showings tonight and besides if the owner knows that others are coming tonight and he has to clear this estate with two out of town siblings, I don't really understand what you are saying? I was under the impression that her job to the owner or heirs selling is to keep them informed? The home was not under contract...........she did not want my clients to see this home if an offer came in, well an offer is not a contract in my book.

THEN - she calls me back two hours later, well the agent who was supposed to bring in the contracts doesn't even have them signed yet!!!!! Well, what I should have done is just said, thanks, but I think we are going to skip this one just the same - obviously I thanked her and we are going out tonight and yes we will see it, because it's what my clients want to see...

But, what's up with this? This agent has been doing this for over 20 years she says, and I find it a bit unethical......almost like she is trying to avoid conflict??? and just dump the house quickly since it isn't worth mucho bucks

what are your thoughts??? I am curious as to everyones opinions

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 03:13 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
She is doing a HUGE disservice to her sellers. If I had a signed offer to present, I would have called you to let you know about the offer so that if your clients liked the home, they would want to write an offer up right away. I would also delay presenting the offer until after your showing if the deadlines worked that way. Who knows, your clients might be the better financial bet!

She violated her fiduciary duties to her clients on this one.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:36 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
I stop showing mine only after the contract is accepted and they're past their option period to back out.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:09 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Once again I'm in total agreement with Silverfall on this one. As a listing agent you owe a fiduciary responsibility to your principal. Discouraging additional offers is a blatant breach of that responsibility.

I'd want to talk to her broker, or have your broker talk to her broker and tell them what's going on.

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I stop showing when the contract has closed. Seen too many contracts (mine and those of other agents) fall through at the eleventh hour. Backup offers are ALWAYS welcome, if the buyers want to get in line.

Except in the rare case of a feeding frenzy, when I've got four or five backup offers in hand. At that point, I'll stop showing.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
My board contract compels me to cease showing the property once there is an accepted offer. This is before the home inspection, the conclusion of the attorney review period and financing commitment.

The only ocntract exceptions are when the accepted offer is contingent upon the sale or close of the buyer's property.

In this market there is too much other inventory to bother with those under a home sale/close contingency and so such homes are rarely shown.

I agree with the others that to not allow the home to be shown based upon the possibility of getting a contract is a violation of the listing agent's fiduciary responsibility to his/her client. Makes me wonder if the buyer's agent is also the listing agent, despite the BS.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:16 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
I would keep showing the listing up until closing, and inform agents who call that we are under contract, and will accept back up contracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals