Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 07:09 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times

Advertisements

Hi!!! I very much appreciate all the feedback. Most of your advice is what I anticipated but I appreciate it nonetheless. I just couldn't remember where I posted this question to come back and look!

My husband has been working on the outside of the house but IMO is making too many little 'garden areas.' I prefer simplicity in that regard, because frankly, I don't care for yard work or weeding, etc. (not a lot anyway). And I figured potential buyers may think 'looks like too much work.' He originally suggested if we sell we sell 'as is.' I'm like,
"You're kidding, right?" (and he's not lazy, really, but there is alot of what I would consider 'finish work' that needs to be done, like baseboards in the basement, etc, and of course, a massive de-clutter project. Not that we are hoarders. LOL)

Have started on the garage - oversized and way too full of stuff although we ARE able to get both our vehicles in there. We also have a screened front porch and an 'overhang' in the the back of the house where I have spent most of the summer and we ARE considering rebuilding it with better roofing material, and painting the supporting beams to match the house, etc.
We would not be selling this year and have a long winter coming. I am hoping to complete the long list of interior projects during the winter months.
I would hire a professional cleaning team to help me when the time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 08:25 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Good to do it over time if you can because that time allows for adjustments. If as-is declutter, clean and keep clean from my experience.If a large family some will say as-is they aren't doing squat but they should. I would say make sure they can see all the walls and corners and can walk to any window to check view. Depending on time and budget I'd be selective about projects because unfinished or in progress can be just as bad. Sounds like you just have some wear and tear issues and lived in the house which is the norm.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:37 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Good to do it over time if you can because that time allows for adjustments. If as-is declutter, clean and keep clean from my experience.If a large family some will say as-is they aren't doing squat but they should. I would say make sure they can see all the walls and corners and can walk to any window to check view. Depending on time and budget I'd be selective about projects because unfinished or in progress can be just as bad. Sounds like you just have some wear and tear issues and lived in the house which is the norm.

Corners and walls and windows for view(s). Thank you! The 'finishing' things like baseboards in the basement or replacing trim around some doors are projects that can be finished one by one. I also would not leave any unfinished projects for potential buyers to see. I would want them to think they could move in and nothing really needs to be done (except maybe paint the interior a different color...we have a neutral beige throughout the house). All that said, as I've discussed with DH, if it winds up we don't sell and stay, then all the little things we kept saying we'd get to would be done.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:12 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Big thing is it shouldn't look like you have ALOT of stuff which makes some nervous for several reasons including can you get out in time for settlement, is a person a hoarder and/or how did they really treat the house. Some don't get as--is. Just can't do take it or leave it no matter how hot your neighborhood might be. Hope you are near a city because prices should hold there.

Pay attention to news because without a strong economy and jobs high housing prices won't be supported. A burst bubble is coming to some local markets in many areas.

Last edited by anononcty; 09-04-2020 at 10:35 AM..

Old 09-04-2020, 12:07 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkManger765 View Post
I guess you have never sold / bought a house?

This is normal stuff to sell homes.
I have sold four, bought six. Never once ever staged, never really heard of doing so except on this forum and other real estate related articles. Not a single person I know has ever staged, that is why I alluded it must be a market thing.

I just cannot vision a person actually deciding on a home, such a large purchase, based off of something so stupid like staging. But then again, there was a poster on here who said they would not buy a house if they did not like the color of the interior walls. It just boggles my mind really.

Old 09-04-2020, 01:51 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
This may have been already addressed. Going to grab coffee soon and really look over this handy feedback.

Ask a judgemental person .... you know, someone nice enough to be an acquaintance but judgy...to look at your house like a homebuyer. Make a list.

Know any perfectionists. A lot of them around. Ask one of them as well.

There are many things a homeowner is so used to he/she doesn't really notice.

There are things a homeowner is just not inclined to care about and therefore never noticed.

Some of what a buyer sees is indeed an issue to many. Some is the little things owners have gotten used to and, when pointed out, say, "oh, yeah" or "that person is picky".

In general...always spotlessly clean.

Nothing cracked...including baseboards, under areas that people don't always look, such as under lower cabinets. Nothing chewed into or smashed with mold or use like quarter round and edge molding.

No mold, mildew, rust on any surface...like even the kickplate under the kitchen sink or wherever that may have a/c circulating.

No dust on any any any thing....surfaces, furnishings, decos, lamps, lamp shades, lightbulbs.

All lighting working.

Your husband and the yard. Landscaping can be pretty and he may be trying to do things he always wanted but hadn't time and feels now is the occasion. Let him know...if it's the case...these landscaped areas can be indulged at the next house and now he can plan for that. After taking care of the house items. If there really are too many landscaped beds it can be jarring and just overdone. Serenity would be best and appealing to a majority so people can enjoy them or imagine doing more themselves if so inclined.

Okay...you have me thinking. If I drank something harder than coffee now may be the time for me to indulge after all those reminders. But coffee or tea it is for now.

All the best now and in your new home.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I have sold four, bought six. Never once ever staged, never really heard of doing so except on this forum and other real estate related articles. Not a single person I know has ever staged, that is why I alluded it must be a market thing.

I just cannot vision a person actually deciding on a home, such a large purchase, based off of something so stupid like staging. But then again, there was a poster on here who said they would not buy a house if they did not like the color of the interior walls. It just boggles my mind really.
I think you are missing the point. You clean and declutter, to invite the buyer to look closely at a well kept house. You stage it to show off its strengths. You arrange the furniture to show the space to its best advantage. You paint with neutrals, if necessary, to allow the buyer to imagine she could move right in with little ado. You make sure to enhance extras like fireplaces, large kitchens, nice patios.

A family member has recently used a realtor who did some staging in their house to good effect.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:24 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
1-Declutter
2-Clean interior and exterior
3-Paint walls and baseboards if needed
4-Arrange furniture so you have walking room and rooms feel spacious
5-Take care of any deferred maintenance

Old 09-04-2020, 02:25 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post

If you've done something as simple as cleaning your home prior to going on the market, you've staged a house. Staging doesn't always mean HGTV, but some people mistake it for that.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:31 PM

7,118 posts, read 4,536,107 times
We have sold many houses and depersonalize, fix everything and clean well. We don’t get rid of dog beds, food or toys. It’s never been a issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals