Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:22 AM

31 posts, read 81,830 times

Advertisements

Just signed up yesterday with a broker, applied for the license, sent in the money, paid my E&O Insurance for 5 mos, got a run down on what is expected of me and what I can expect. I start training next week. Searching closet for sports jacket and ties now, hid them a way for so long.

So now I'm a newbie.

I'm sooo scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 10:27 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,099,594 times
Congratulations!!!

Your certifiable and card carrying! Once you lose your real estate virginity, you will be fine!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:42 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,832,489 times
Why pull out the jackets and ties now? It'll look like you're trying too hard. People don't really wear suites anymore.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,467,108 times
In the fall I sometimes will don a sport coat, but that is so I don't look sloppy in a windbreaker. Ties are for when you go to court and let's hope that does not happen any time soon.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 AM

930 posts, read 2,424,982 times
Dude, have you watched "The Cougar" on ABC? There is your typical realtor competition.

Now go get 'em !!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 AM

31 posts, read 81,830 times
Thanks
The broker requires I put on a tie at least in the summer when in the office. I have to wear a tie and jacket for my photo op. I hate those.
Haven't watched the Cougar.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:23 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,054,222 times
Congrats Ken! And like someone else said and of course depending on your area, you don't have to dress like you're going to court LOL. Even when I worked with attorneys, the only time they wore a suit, tie etc. was when they went to court. Rest of the time more casual clothes. If you're in a high-end area, then yeah maybe, but if not just professional looking attire because you want to make clients feel comfortable working with you - not like you're some high roller who won't understand their needs, ya know? You'll do great!

PS Just NO gold jackets

Old 07-10-2009, 11:30 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,323,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Cent21 View Post
Thanks
The broker requires I put on a tie at least in the summer when in the office. I have to wear a tie and jacket for my photo op. I hate those.
Haven't watched the Cougar.
There is nothing wrong with standards. Yet, you must be certain that the quality that supports the standards is real. It's like a home that has been freshly painted but is eaten up by termites. I do not condemn your broker, but just share that I once worked in an office that required the tie. I left after only 20 months due to the extreme lack of integrity.

Wear your tie proudly, but never ever bend your integrity. My office has four foundations: integrity, service, knowledge, and care. As a person and as a Realtor you will control your integrity and care. No one else can ever take that power from you. Other situations and circumstances will dictate if you have full knowledge or service capability, but only you can lower your personal integrity and care for others.

Best wishes! Good luck, and many of us are hoping and ready to encourage you!

Old 07-10-2009, 12:07 PM

17,462 posts, read 14,702,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Cent21 View Post

I'm sooo scared.
If it makes you feel any better, I was so terrified the night before my first listing appointment, I couldn't sleep.

Not to mention that I threw up right before I had to leave.

And the sellers had been friends of mine for YEARS - it wasn't like they were even strangers for crying out loud.

You'll survive ... and be fine!

Old 07-10-2009, 12:15 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,054,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
There is nothing wrong with standards. Yet, you must be certain that the quality that supports the standards is real. It's like a home that has been freshly painted but is eaten up by termites. I do not condemn your broker, but just share that I once worked in an office that required the tie. I left after only 20 months due to the extreme lack of integrity.

Wear your tie proudly, but never ever bend your integrity. My office has four foundations: integrity, service, knowledge, and care. As a person and as a Realtor you will control your integrity and care. No one else can ever take that power from you. Other situations and circumstances will dictate if you have full knowledge or service capability, but only you can lower your personal integrity and care for others.

Best wishes! Good luck, and many of us are hoping and ready to encourage you!
Not trying to stir the pot, Tom, but if the Broker requires a tie when an agent is covering floor then there's nothing wrong with that - don't think this has anything to do with the integrity of the Broker and I am only mentioning it because right after you comment about 'your experience' having to wear a tie in the office, you go into your story about how you left that office due to lack of integrity, etc. etc. etc. Like being required to wear a tie on floor duty has anything to do with 'personal integrity' or the Broker's integrity for that matter. Every offfice has it's own set of rules.

How about just a congratulations, good luck and so forth JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals