Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:28 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
Not trying to stir the pot, Tom, but if the Broker requires a tie when an agent is covering floor then there's nothing wrong with that - don't think this has anything to do with the integrity of the Broker and I am only mentioning it because right after you comment about 'your experience' having to wear a tie in the office, you go into your story about how you left that office due to lack of integrity, etc. etc. etc. Like being required to wear a tie on floor duty has anything to do with 'personal integrity' or the Broker's integrity for that matter. Every offfice has it's own set of rules.

How about just a congratulations, good luck and so forth JMO
Yes, it was a poorly written post. I regret that my words were not as congratulatory as I meant for them to be.

I don't disagree with an office dress code. But I do think that such a code must not be camouflage hiding a firm's weaknesses whether integrity or competence.

Again, I regret that I failed to compose a better post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 06:12 AM

469 posts, read 1,484,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Cent21 View Post
Just signed up yesterday with a broker, applied for the license, sent in the money, paid my E&O Insurance for 5 mos, got a run down on what is expected of me and what I can expect. I start training next week. Searching closet for sports jacket and ties now, hid them a way for so long.

So now I'm a newbie.

I'm sooo scared.
@Ken - Each market is very different in what kind of attire is considered acceptable. I have worked in three markets and have seen a huge gap when in comes to acceptable attire. If I was you I would not listen to anyone on exactly what you should wear that does not work in your specific market. If you are going to listen to anyone I would dress how your broker suggests you should.

Now I will leave you with a comment that came from a old guy that had an amazing amount of business in the market I started in. What he told me is if you are over dressed people might make fun of you, but as long as you have a personality they will never blow you off because of it. Now if you are under dressed there is a portion of the population that will never do business with you. I believe this to be the best advice I had ever recieved.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:06 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesww View Post
@Ken - Each market is very different in what kind of attire is considered acceptable. I have worked in three markets and have seen a huge gap when in comes to acceptable attire. If I was you I would not listen to anyone on exactly what you should wear that does not work in your specific market. If you are going to listen to anyone I would dress how your broker suggests you should.

Now I will leave you with a comment that came from a old guy that had an amazing amount of business in the market I started in. What he told me is if you are over dressed people might make fun of you, but as long as you have a personality they will never blow you off because of it. Now if you are under dressed there is a portion of the population that will never do business with you. I believe this to be the best advice I had ever recieved.
I believe it to be superb advice.
People often think they have to honor their own personality through their clothes.
Well, it is about the client, not the agent. Client perceptions rule!

Old 07-13-2009, 03:50 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Wow... funny how a congratulatory thread got moved to a thread about threads... I am guilty of helping that move.

I do encourage every one to read "Dress for Success." I am a fan, and I suggest it for all. It's been years since I read it, but if I remember correctly, the author encouraged business people to dress one level above their audience or prospect. He was saying don't be dressed in Wall Street Pin's when selling to a Texas rancher while standing in his corral, but rather be dressed in clean but worn boots, and have a cowboy hat on that doesn't say, hi, how do you like my new hat that I just bought in the airport before I got my bags...

Old 07-13-2009, 06:07 PM

469 posts, read 1,484,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I believe it to be superb advice.
People often think they have to honor their own personality through their clothes.
Well, it is about the client, not the agent. Client perceptions rule!
Wow Mike, this is begining to get concerning. Two major topics in a row where we agree. I just hope silverfall does not come by and reinforce this as it may open a riff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals