Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 899 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm in the process of starting a real estate photography and videography company in Southern California. The company will have the following services

- Photography

- Videography

- 360 Tours

- Drone Photos & Videos

I would like to know what real estate agents most value from a company that offers such services. If you have experience with a company that provides these services, is there something you wish they offered, that they currently don't? Do you find that individuals in this particular industry take too long to complete their assignments? Do you find that they are not flexible enough in terms of availability? Any annoying or unprofessional behaviors that would or have caused you to stop using such services?

Any advice or suggestions to make us a better company would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 08:28 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
The best advice I have for anybody starting any kind of business is to join an association of your kind of business.

Here's one:

Real Estate Photographers of America | Certified Directory

There may be others. There may be local chapters.

Associations tend to provide guides and other benefits to members.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:15 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystep View Post
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of starting a real estate photography and videography company in Southern California. The company will have the following services

- Photography

- Videography

- 360 Tours

- Drone Photos & Videos

I would like to know what real estate agents most value from a company that offers such services. If you have experience with a company that provides these services, is there something you wish they offered, that they currently don't? Do you find that individuals in this particular industry take too long to complete their assignments? Do you find that they are not flexible enough in terms of availability? Any annoying or unprofessional behaviors that would or have caused you to stop using such services?

Any advice or suggestions to make us a better company would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Immediate response to requests for a shoot.
Clear pricing.
Punctuality.
Show up clean, neat, and respectful of the clients.
Quick turn on your product. Next day at the latest. At least, give a good date and hit it every single time.
Turn on all lights and put the toilet seats down. (In Other Words, you might have a guide for agents and homeowners: How to Make The Most of Your Photo Shoot.)
Show your portfolio.
Getting started, you might do several for free to have a good portfolio to show. It would be an investment in your business and give you 8 or 10 to show.

Old 03-12-2022, 07:34 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Clear pricing.
Punctuality.
Quick turn on your product. Next day at the latest. At least, give a good date and hit it every single time.
Turn on all lights and put the toilet seats down. (In Other Words, you might have a guide for agents and homeowners: How to Make The Most of Your Photo Shoot.)
Show your portfolio.
Getting started, you might do several for free to have a good portfolio to show. It would be an investment in your business and give you 8 or 10 to show.
I would add to that . . .

High quality product (I don't want good photos/videos I want THE BEST photos/videos for my clients) and being willing to get your hands "dirty."

My dream photographer would have a good eye for staging as well and if something needed to be moved/removed to improve a photo they would do it. If a bed is unmade they would make it instead of shooting the photo of an unmade bed. I would LOVE to have a photographer that I can trust enough to just send to a house and not feel like I have to be there to oversee the process.

Old 03-15-2022, 10:31 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Clear pricing.
Punctuality.
Show your portfolio.
All of this.

So I generally show up to prep the house for the photographer. I have one who will move things for the shot, but the others do not. I only use them when my favorite photographer can't do it.

If you are going to do this and be good

Remove the exterior trash cans before shooting the house.
Wind up the hose that the seller forgot about and is splayed all over the grass
Put the toilet seat down
Remove the trash cans from bathroom shots etc
You get the idea...

For me, the biggest difference in photographers is the composition of the photos. I find that most real estate photographers don't compose the shots well. Don't make rooms appear larger than they are. Don't take weird angles and shots that don't make sense. No bowling alley shots, unless the house really is like that.

Don't over-process the photos so that the 70's gold carpet is a different color. Make the photos LOOK like the house actually is.

Old 03-15-2022, 01:13 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
If you are going to do this and be good

Remove the exterior trash cans before shooting the house.
Wind up the hose that the seller forgot about and is splayed all over the grass
Put the toilet seat down
Remove the trash cans from bathroom shots etc
You get the idea...
This is what I meant by a photographer who's willing to get their hands dirty.

Quote:
For me, the biggest difference in photographers is the composition of the photos. I find that most real estate photographers don't compose the shots well. Don't make rooms appear larger than they are. Don't take weird angles and shots that don't make sense. No bowling alley shots, unless the house really is like that.
Agreed! What's with the close up shots of the running faucets? Nobody cares to see that. This isn't high art. It's marketing.

Quote:
Don't over-process the photos so that the 70's gold carpet is a different color. Make the photos LOOK like the house actually is.
I'm seeing a lot of photos with inaccurate colors lately. Sometimes, the photographer (usually an amateur) doesn't take the time to calibrate the white balance of the camera. Sometimes, it's someone sending a photo to one of those overseas processing companies like Box Brownie and they always end up over saturating the photo and it looks fake.

Old 03-16-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

Agreed! What's with the close up shots of the running faucets? Nobody cares to see that. This isn't high art. It's marketing.
or the bowl on the dining room table. I'm not selling furniture.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:18 PM

Our MLS now allows up to 100 photos.
I shudder to think of the "artistic" stuff that may get uploaded to fill in 100 spots...

Old 03-16-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Our MLS now allows up to 100 photos.
I shudder to think of the "artistic" stuff that may get uploaded to fill in 100 spots...
Oh wow. We are at 42 which seems like plenty except for acreage properties where you might have a lot of out buildings and really large homes. 100 seems excessive.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Oh wow. We are at 42 which seems like plenty except for acreage properties where you might have a lot of out buildings and really large homes. 100 seems excessive.
Heck.
I can't get past the 11 photos of running water before the house is under contract sight unseen.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals