Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:27 AM

305 posts, read 1,808,348 times

Advertisements

We're relocating.

We've been researching the areas in a State that we've chosen to relocate to and have requested brochures on housing developments and such.

As a result, we're getting bombarded with Realtor emails and calls.

The problem is that one realtor might be in Town X and another realtor might be from Town Y, which is 100 miles away.

So, is it ethical to work with both of them? Especially when both towns are an option?

Do we tell each one that we're also working with someone else?

In this instance, both are from different realty companies. But, what about realtors sponsored by the same company - do we still use both?

I dont' want to waste anyone's time, but because we're open to where we are going, I don't want to miss out on seeing what's available in both towns.

I hope this all made sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 07:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
If they're in towns 100 miles apart, as you indicate, there shouldn't be a problem. Our buyer's rep agreement here in Texas has a place where you can indicate what area you're working with that particular agent in, if it's pertinent. It would be nice to let the agents both know that you're looking in two places and what the situation is.

Now, two agents in the same area, not so much, because you're using up their time and they have access via the MLS to the same properties so it's on advantage to you, either, to use two different ones in the same area. Just pick the one you like in that area, sign on with them, and let anyone else who "bombards" you know that you're working with an agent. That should cut down on the "clutter".

Old 05-26-2008, 01:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Realtors are licenced by their state and can list/show property anywhere in the state. That does not mean it makes sense for them to do so.

I think it's common sense to work with local people and be upfront about it, with each Realtor. The definition of local varies by area. Rural areas or where there is tremendous acreage, 100 miles is not that great of a distance. There are Realtors in Alaska that fly their own planes, a practical business necessity, albeit a gimick.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:35 PM

Yes, my "territory" covers 5 counties and lots of miles, both because one of my specialties is rural properties and because I've lived in the area long enough that I've watched a great deal of it being built and am familiar with more than the average agent for that reason. But 100 miles away here, even in Texas, is another matter - I wouldn't take buyers to San Antonio, for example, but would refer them to an agent there who is more familiar with that area.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:50 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,856,254 times
imho 100 miles apart, not a problem, let them know - but in the same town, I don't think it's fair.

Also - I think you should narrow it down to a specific area, one or the other, or you will drive yourself absolutely nuts looking at different areas

good luck

colleen

Old 05-26-2008, 02:26 PM

305 posts, read 1,808,348 times
Thanks everyone for your answers.

It wasn't like I was going in with the intent of deceiving anyone. I just didn't know what to do.

I've got it narrowed down to two towns. I won't be able to make a decision until I actually go down and look at these towns. (It's about a 2-day drive.)

Again, Thanks.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:15 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,320,635 times
I would hope that with towns 100 miles apart that you would have an agent in each town. Just be sure to let each agent know that you haven't decided for sure which town you'll be relocating to.

I once had clients who told me they had definitely decided on my town for relocation; they were living in their 5th-wheel at present, and needed to find something ASAP. They told me they had already checked out other towns as possibilities and eliminated them. The problem was they weren't specific on what they wanted - maybe intown smaller home on small lot . . . or maybe mfg'd home on small acreage . . . or maybe something in between, but "we'll know it when we see it". I should have read the signals but really liked this couple. I spent hours scouring the MLS, $100's on gas, and showed them homes all over the area. We looked at homes for 2 weeks straight. I called them on a Monday morning to tell them about a house that had just come on the market. But guess what? They'd purchased a home in another town over the weekend - one of the towns they supposedly eliminated!

So just be upfront. Your first order of business is to determine which town is right for you. Finding out "what you get for your money" in that town is part of the process, but that involves just a day visiting with the agent and touring a few homes. Beyond that you need to figure out where you want to be before you ask an agent to spend a lot of time finding you a house . . . and then decide you're not going to relocate there. Otherwise you're doing Step 2 before you've done Step 1.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:47 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,495 times
Determine the best fit, and use the one you feel best with. Its a waste of time to involve more than one, and yes, unethical. I would not mind competing or being interviewed, as you need to find the personality that mathes what you need, given your chosing between 2 professionals. Ask each for there references.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:50 PM

So, you're advocating that they use one agent for two towns that are 100 miles apart? Could you explain how that would be in the buyer's best interests?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:44 AM

250 posts, read 991,762 times
Just be upfront with both agents. "We haven't decided on which town we want to live in. We will let you know which way we are leaning throughout the process because we want to be honest and upfront. Please be the same way with us."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals