Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 08:12 AM

89 posts, read 70,891 times

Advertisements

The growth here seems to defy any data on housing slumps, interest rate hikes, stock market corrections, recession fears, hurricanes, etc. since the 80's. Even the banking issues of 2008 didn't slow down the population growth. Prices continue to accelerate regardless of anything. Except maybe slightly in 2012.

Will it ever stop, or will Florida become the most populated State? Most of all ages seem to be coming from urban areas in other States that they helped ruin by voting in bad decisions. I realize there are more people over 65 than at any time in history, but this also requires working folks to expand infrastructure and services.
Possibly things will slow down in a few generations when Florida residents vote for their own destruction. And by then so many will have left the North, it will be nice up there again.
I just went under contract for a awesome gain on a home I just purchased during a supposed "peak" in early 22, and will keep doing it as long as possible, but am starting to think of homes in areas where everyone is leaving, But it may be a little early for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2023, 12:49 PM

249 posts, read 237,621 times
The boomers love the idea of Florida - something about low / no state tax? Sorry to say but I’m guessing this isn’t anywhere near peak Florida migration.

Old 01-07-2023, 01:53 PM

6,487 posts, read 10,363,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPRFmama View Post
The boomers love the idea of Florida - something about low / no state tax?
There is zero state income tax in Florida. Tourist and sales tax make up for it.

Old 01-07-2023, 02:06 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,039,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyanylitics View Post
The growth here seems to defy any data on housing slumps, interest rate hikes, stock market corrections, recession fears, hurricanes, etc. since the 80's. Even the banking issues of 2008 didn't slow down the population growth. Prices continue to accelerate regardless of anything. Except maybe slightly in 2012.

Will it ever stop, or will Florida become the most populated State? Most of all ages seem to be coming from urban areas in other States that they helped ruin by voting in bad decisions. I realize there are more people over 65 than at any time in history, but this also requires working folks to expand infrastructure and services.
Possibly things will slow down in a few generations when Florida residents vote for their own destruction. And by then so many will have left the North, it will be nice up there again.
I just went under contract for a awesome gain on a home I just purchased during a supposed "peak" in early 22, and will keep doing it as long as possible, but am starting to think of homes in areas where everyone is leaving, But it may be a little early for that.
No one is leaving the North because the cities have been "ruined." People head to FL because of there being no state income tax and the warmer climate. Plus, even though real estate prices have soared in South Florida the houses are still way cheaper than the more expensive areas of the Northeast. The same reasons that people have been heading there for decades.

Old 01-08-2023, 05:52 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
People from the north are moving to Florida primarily for one reason: warmer weather. To think otherwise is rather delusional. Most of the people that I know who have residences in Florida still maintain their primary residence in Michigan, despite our modest income tax. They're only going down there in the wintertime to escape the snow and cold weather. My nephew recently moved to Florida and he can't wait to get back to Michigan. He found that he can't stand the hot and humid weather of Florida in the summertime. I just hope that more people don't discover how pleasant and desirable Michigan is. We have enough people here already, thank you. I actually wish that more would move away.

Old 01-08-2023, 06:22 AM

43,320 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
No one is leaving the North because the cities have been "ruined." People head to FL because of there being no state income tax and the warmer climate. Plus, even though real estate prices have soared in South Florida the houses are still way cheaper than the more expensive areas of the Northeast. The same reasons that people have been heading there for decades.
The "no income tax" is certainly a key item in quality of life. Lower income and property taxes allow many people to live better lives.
The NE is "ruining" a lot of folks' lives with cost of living.
Influx in NC from high income and property tax states is mammoth. We have a sliver higher tax burden than Florida, but much superior climate and better proximity to family in the NE.

On CD/NC, we routinely have posters looking to escape onerous living costs in northern states.
Tax Burden Rankings (of course within each state taxes may vary from urban to suburban to rural areas):
https://www.prudential.com/financial...urden-by-state

https://taxfoundation.org/tax-burden...-2022/#results (Ranked alphabetically rather than high to low tax burden. Sheesh.)

Then factor in how much less expensive it is to purchase comparable properties in southern states vs. much of the northeast, and Bob's yer uncle.

Old 01-08-2023, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The "no income tax" is certainly a key item in quality of life. Lower income and property taxes allow many people to live better lives.
The NE is "ruining" a lot of folks' lives with cost of living.
Influx in NC from high income and property tax states is mammoth. We have a sliver higher tax burden than Florida, but much superior climate and better proximity to family in the NE.

On CD/NC, we routinely have posters looking to escape onerous living costs in northern states.
Tax Burden Rankings (of course within each state taxes may vary from urban to suburban to rural areas):
https://www.prudential.com/financial...urden-by-state

https://taxfoundation.org/tax-burden...-2022/#results (Ranked alphabetically rather than high to low tax burden. Sheesh.)

Then factor in how much less expensive it is to purchase comparable properties in southern states vs. much of the northeast, and Bob's yer uncle.
I think maybe "ruined" is not the right word. Is the cost of living in the North much higher than the South . . . for the most part, yes. Places like NY/NJ have a far higher tax burden than say New England states though. At the end of the day though, it's about "value" and that's a very personal judgement. I lived in FL for a couple years and I visit there often and can say with all honesty that it's not a place I'm interested in living at least right now no matter what the cost difference is. So for me, living in the north is a better value. For those that have left, they've obviously felt differently.

Old 01-10-2023, 05:05 PM

89 posts, read 70,891 times
After watching the news tonight, where a long time enviromentalist is retiring, and him along with many others are complaining about algae blooms, red tides less insects etc.. No one talks about a solution, just the problems getting worse, remembering the good ole days. Desantis just annouced another 3.5 billion to fight it that will no doubt get wasted. The last 2.5 billion got us 2 little dams in the south blocks in Naples, and a few culverts under rt 41. No doubt a waste. Bringing this back to real estate, I think its time for a moratorium on all new construction, South of the Caloosahatchee and Lake O. It is the only way to cure the problems of the Everglades.I guess its just a hope at this point.

Old 01-13-2023, 04:28 AM

23,875 posts, read 33,595,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I think maybe "ruined" is not the right word. Is the cost of living in the North much higher than the South . . . for the most part, yes. Places like NY/NJ have a far higher tax burden than say New England states though. At the end of the day though, it's about "value" and that's a very personal judgement. I lived in FL for a couple years and I visit there often and can say with all honesty that it's not a place I'm interested in living at least right now no matter what the cost difference is. So for me, living in the north is a better value. For those that have left, they've obviously felt differently.

My hub wants to move to Florida because of the weather and that they wouldn't tax his pension like NJ does. I have no interest to move down there, mostly because I'm not a hot weather person, especially since my hub doesn't run the AC at 72 or 73, he puts it on 76 which is way too hot for me. I don't like their "wild life" (gators, snakes, etc) I also don't like their storms.

I agree it is about value, which I do get in Jersey, especially medical care. I can stay in Jersey, travel to NY or go to Philadelphia which is about 35 minutes away.

My area is very convenient for food stores, we have close to 10 within 5 miles of my house. We also have Depot, Lowes, Marshall's, Ross, Burlington, Kohls and a bunch of other stores.

We don't get as much snow in South Jersey as North Jersey gets. I'm originally from North which has higher property taxes. Much cheaper to live down here.

Old 01-16-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My hub wants to move to Florida because of the weather and that they wouldn't tax his pension like NJ does. I have no interest to move down there, mostly because I'm not a hot weather person, especially since my hub doesn't run the AC at 72 or 73, he puts it on 76 which is way too hot for me. I don't like their "wild life" (gators, snakes, etc) I also don't like their storms.

I agree it is about value, which I do get in Jersey, especially medical care. I can stay in Jersey, travel to NY or go to Philadelphia which is about 35 minutes away.

My area is very convenient for food stores, we have close to 10 within 5 miles of my house. We also have Depot, Lowes, Marshall's, Ross, Burlington, Kohls and a bunch of other stores.

We don't get as much snow in South Jersey as North Jersey gets. I'm originally from North which has higher property taxes. Much cheaper to live down here.
I hear you. One day when I retire, I'll probably make FL my state of primary residence (my plan is to maintain a second home up here as well). The tax advantages are hard to deny and it's no fun to mess with snow and I'm sure once I get to retirement age I'll have no more resolve left for dealing with that white fluffy mess.

I did go to college in FL and my family throughout my life always maintained a second home in Florida. So, I know what life is like down there almost as much as I know life here in MA. Currently for me, when I look at the whole package living in FL is not more attractive than staying here in MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals