Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

House hunters need advice about dealing with realtor, realtor does not have best interest in mind, what are client’s rights, undependable realtor

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:50 PM

30 posts, read 90,097 times

Advertisements

Okay....I have a question. Tell me if I am a crazy person.....my husband is getting stationed at Ft. Bragg and we are going to have a house built in Four Oaks (we couldn't find anything we liked). We have not made an offer yet, but have put $1000 down to hold a lot until it gets paved and recorded, then we will make our offer. I am just curious about our Realtor, not sure if she has our best interest in mind. We spent an entire week with her (during the day that is and at night we drove EVERYWHERE and found every house we wanted to see for the next day). At first she was really trying to "push us" to a certain neighborhood, but it wasn't right for us at all...too small of lots, cookie-cutter houses, couldn't add a garage to back yard (all things that were MAJOR things for us), but she kept bringing it up and saying "don't you think that neighborhood would work" after not being able to find ANYTHING!! So, we just figured we would have to come back again and look.

We kept driving at night and finding this same builder that we liked so in the morning we told our Realtor about the houses and she took us to see the houses, again. We had found the house that we wanted and wanted to show her. So, we call the builder and he is gone til the next morning....we stay an extra day to meet with him, and see the lots. Guess what....our Realtor calls us that morning and says she won't be able to meet us at the lots to meet the builder but will be there about 30 mins later!!! Anyway....Love the builder......love the lots!!!! His Realtor and he both asked "where is your Realtor?" We decide that we love the lot and this is what we are going to do....put our $1000 down and leave to go back home.

One week later the houses in the neighborhood, our builder has, he has dropped the price another 10K!! One is our exact same floor plan!!! So, I email our Realtor and ask if that will affect us in anyway, and maybe could she do a CMA of the houses for the last 6 months and then make our offer. "No" was her reply and that it doesn't work that way, we will have to pay what the builder says and maybe even a $2500 pre-sale. Okay....

I emailed and told her that VA will do their inspection and appraisals, off the last 6 months CMA's, and that it might not appraise for what he might selling it to us for. We have had 5 VA loans since 1995, being the military we move...ALOT!!! So VA is funny alot of times. She doesn't think so, but isn't familiar with VA....we will have to see.

So I am getting very frustrated with her....I don't think she is a Buyers Agent and has our best interest at heart....I want to get the most house for my money, obviously! And when we make our offer, I don't think she is going to go to bat for us and present it in a way to benefit us.....WHAT CAN I DO?????????????

[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 02:15 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,858 times
Most builders will cut the realtor out of the deal if they were not the one to bring you to the subdivision on your first visit. Your agent may be hesitant to help you because she's not going to get paid on this deal. If that's the case, then you are on your own in dealing with the builder.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:18 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
It is possible that she has past experience with the builder and knows the builder won't negotiate on the price. Some builders are that way. You should ask specific questions to your agent and gauge the response. Why not? is always a good question if you don't understand the answer.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,390,007 times
Your entitiled to an agent that listens, and then hears what you want, and sounds like none ot that is happening. Maybe the builder will discount, but most will not move much, and if you are not pleased, then find a buyers agent that you will be confident in. Most good agents, will start lower, as you never know what will work, and all offers have to be presented, and as long as you dont make it an embarrasing offer, then you can always counter, if you want it bad enough. Good luck, and you need to feel good about your agent, or move to someone else.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
I think Gretchen might have nailed it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Most builders will cut the realtor out of the deal if they were not the one to bring you to the subdivision on your first visit. Your agent may be hesitant to help you because she's not going to get paid on this deal. If that's the case, then you are on your own in dealing with the builder.
Is the realtor getting a commission on the deal? Did you cut them out, and then expect them to work anyways?

Anyways, I found a contradiction in your own posting..
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliecat6571 View Post
we are going to have a house built in Four Oaks (we couldn't find anything we liked).

One week later the houses in the neighborhood, our builder has, he has dropped the price another 10K!! One is our exact same floor plan!!!
You couldnt find a house that you liked, but one with the same floor plan has just dropped in price? Sorry, a little confused on that one... You didnt like the house with the SAME floor plan?

Anyways,
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliecat6571 View Post
We have not made an offer yet, but have put $1000 down to hold a lot until it gets paved and recorded, then we will make our offer.

One week later the houses in the neighborhood, our builder has, he has dropped the price another 10K!! One is our exact same floor plan!!! So, I email our Realtor and ask if that will affect us in anyway, and maybe could she do a CMA of the houses for the last 6 months and then make our offer. "No" was her reply and that it doesn't work that way, we will have to pay what the builder says and maybe even a $2500 pre-sale. Okay....
So you handed someone $1,000 to hold a lot, but you havent made an offer? Have you signed a deal? I'm a little confused over what the $1,000 was for because I would NEVER give someone money to hold something without a sales price in mind. What if they come back and tell you they want $100,000,000 for the lot.. You'll be doing what?

Please fill in the blanks..

Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Most builders in the Tampa (FL) area have discounted after they lowered the sales prices or gave more incentives to others. They had not choice because most buyers would have left the down payment and walked away...and there aren't a bus full of buyers these days.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 PM

thanks for replying....we haven't cut the realtor out of the deal, period. She has been to the builders office with us. She just happen to be 30 minutes late when we were meeting at the lot.

As for the contradiction....not sure as to what you don't understand...I stated that we couldn't find a house that we liked, so we are having one built. We found the builder and loved his floor plans so he is building us one of his. The one we like (in the very same neighborhood)....he has just dropped the price 10K. So, he will build that similar house on a bigger lot for us. Make more sense?

Yes, we wrote a check for $1000 to hold the lot. You can't make an offer on a lot that hasn't been recorded yet, so the $1000 holds that lot until it get recorded and then we will be able to make the offer. I understand you might "NEVER" put down money for a lot, but we loved the land and want to build on it. Since you are unable to view the contract for the lot, guess you don't understand that in it......it states we have 30 days to decide on a price that we both agree on. So I would "NEVER" throw money away...

I love to read everyones emails and everyone is very pleasant, but I don't appreciate you attitude in the email. But........I do hope this "fills in the blanks" for you. I have received tons of private messages and non of them had any problems reading and understanding me....hope this helps you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think Gretchen might have nailed it..

Is the realtor getting a commission on the deal? Did you cut them out, and then expect them to work anyways?

Anyways, I found a contradiction in your own posting..

You couldnt find a house that you liked, but one with the same floor plan has just dropped in price? Sorry, a little confused on that one... You didnt like the house with the SAME floor plan?

Anyways,

So you handed someone $1,000 to hold a lot, but you havent made an offer? Have you signed a deal? I'm a little confused over what the $1,000 was for because I would NEVER give someone money to hold something without a sales price in mind. What if they come back and tell you they want $100,000,000 for the lot.. You'll be doing what?

Please fill in the blanks..

Old 07-09-2008, 03:33 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,858 times
Alliecat, if you're not happy with your agent (and she was with you on your initial visit to the subdivision when you first registered - not just when you looked at the lot), then talk to the builder and ask if you can have a different agent of your choosing represent you in your transaction. Find out, too, if the agent will receive a commission.

You've probably put money down on a "pre-sold" lot and are waiting for the final Subdivision Approval for your review. If Florida is like Arizona, you will still have a chance to cancel the contract once you've had a chance to look over the Subdivision Report.

Do keep us up-to-date on what you find out from your agent and the builder. It sounds like either your agent isn't doing much to represent you, or else she's reluctant to help because she won't be getting paid (or will be getting a reduced commission). In either case it is definitely in your best interest to have representation by an agent of your choosing who's not associated with the builder.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:21 PM

153 posts, read 312,617 times
Alliecat,

The confusion comes from individuals that believe that just because they have bought and/or sold a home they know as much as professionals. Those of us who are licensed agents usually have a little house after our names. I don't because I'm now retired. You wrote on here to get advice from professionals. Don't worry about the amateurs.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:52 PM

Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate it. We have done 3 for sale by owners and used a Realtor for the other 3 times...being military we have moved some many times and owned alot of homes(hope this will be our last), so I am not saying I know it all, but I have done it a few times. I do really appreciate your insight.......hope you have a great day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnosticCyn View Post
Alliecat,

The confusion comes from individuals that believe that just because they have bought and/or sold a home they know as much as professionals. Those of us who are licensed agents usually have a little house after our names. I don't because I'm now retired. You wrote on here to get advice from professionals. Don't worry about the amateurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals