Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:29 PM

520 posts, read 3,920,200 times

Advertisements

Why is it that there are homes on the market where the price is not dropped?
I've seen so many homes on the market for 100 days and the price stays the same.

So my question is...

Why doesn't the home seller drop the price? I understand you don't want to lose money but there has to come a time when the realtor will no longer be able to anything for you if the home is not priced correctly.

Our neighbor had his house on the market for about 1 yr. They finally sold it last month but it took 1 yr and a $100K price drop. I think they went through 3-4 different agents too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 09:36 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,824,454 times
I don't know. We dropped our price substantially in order to sell it in 45 days in a terrible market. I had no interest in paying holding costs for a year.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:30 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,978,734 times
It normally comes down to seller motivation. Some sellers can't or won't drop the price because of needs. Other sellers are time motivated, even if it means adjusting the price for a sale that meets their time frame.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,076 times
I think alot of sellers are still in denial about the market. I think alot of sellers would be in negative equity and they can't afford to drop the price. I started searching in another (and actually more desirable) county because the market where I was looking is artificially inflated. By that I mean 95% of the homes are just sitting, clogging the market. No one wants to truly sell, so they wait for an idiot buyer.

So, I started looking in a county more up to date with the CURRENT market conditions...

Old 08-04-2008, 08:43 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Brandon nailed it about motivation. Some sellers want to sell but don't have to and are not highly motivated to take a loss on their home.

We are currently downsizing from a large expensive home to a smaller empty nester home. It takes awhile to sell in our price range and we have it at a good price. If I sell it in the next year, Ok but if it takes another year I can live here until then.

I'm not highly motivated to dump my house.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Every seller decides if they want their price or to get sold.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:50 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Every seller decides if they want their price or to get sold.
Truer words have never been spoken

Old 08-04-2008, 06:46 PM

520 posts, read 3,920,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
I think alot of sellers are still in denial about the market.

I have to agree with this. I just sold my home after 2 weeks on the market.
I priced my home not the "appraised" value or what I thought it was worth, but more what I thought would sell it.

I think many sellers still think they will get what their house is worth.
I just saw one house drop $40K in two weeks.

But what about empty homes on the market? Someone is paying the morgtage. Why won't they drop the price on an empty home just to unload it?

Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,978,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
I think alot of sellers are still in denial about the market.
It isn't denial. It's motivation. If they have to sell by a time frame and time is the true motivation they'll price it to do so. Otherwise it's money motivation and that means waiting until someone is willing to pay the price or staying put.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:01 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,899 times
A lot of people I knew back in Seattle were in denial. It can't happen here, blah blah blah. All past the peak of the market last July and even when the media started picking up on it. Month to month price increases were replaced with looking at the market year to year figures (because month to month went negative), and slowly people started to get that what was going on in most of the nation in 2008 might, just maybe happen there. One coworker who was trying to sell his place and talking about how awesome the market was started sounding more and more like that former Iraqi minister of information. The one that talked about how great things were going for them during the invasion while it was completely obvious to the rest of the world that it was the exact opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals