Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 08:05 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times

Advertisements

On a home inspector forum I brought this topic up in response to some inspectors saying they wouldn't go inside an attic unless it had a walkway.

I thought i would ask Real Estate professionals about how many times they had seen or heard about a home inspector stepping through a ceiling.

IN almost 20 years of inspecting I have made a mis-step ONCE. I consider myself lucky, however, I don't think my numbers are that far off. Most inspectors I know have done it once or twice. But that's in their career, not per month or even year.

Since we as a group probably don't like to admit to our peers that we messed up, I figured that another view might be more accurate.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 10:58 AM

250 posts, read 991,543 times
I've NEVER heard of that happening, but it sounds terrible. I live in MN - lots of plaster here so maybe that reinforcement helps!

Old 08-24-2008, 11:34 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
I have never had it happen. and I have never had an inspector refuse to go up in an attic. If they did, that would be last time they worked for my clients, as I would tell my clients. You need to see if there is any active leaking, how are the rafters, and so much more!!!

The only think I have seen an inspector refuse to do, is mess with a gas fireplace..... and I can't blame them for that!!

Shelly

Old 08-24-2008, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the responses.
Re: gas appliances. I used to light pilot lights all the time, UNTIL a water heater exploded and burned the cr_p out of me. Seems there was a problem with the gas valve that no one said they knew about. NEW POLICY....we do not light pilot lights or turn gas valves that are OFF. We don't know WHY they are off.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:36 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
I've never had an inspector refuse to go into an attic either but most homes have the walkway since it's code. I can only think of 2 instances where there was no attic walkway and both times the inspectors went in anyway.

Different but similar, most home inspectors I've met won't walk on the roof which I completely understand and have no problem with. Same with lighting pilot lights.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:39 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
Never had it happen to an inspector but my brother in law did it once, lol. I'll NEVER forget it.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:55 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,500 times
I haven't done this yet, but not for lack of trying. I can see where an inspector might be leery, especially with blown-in insulation so you couldn't see the joists. Especially a skinny inspector with the ceiling joists or trusses spaced wide apart. Especially over a stairwell. I can picture it: express elevator going DOWN...

Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I've never had an inspector not go in an attic. Never heard of it either.

Out here, the gas valve is turned off when furnaces are deemed unsafe by someone, so I wouldn't be doing anything with that...

Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 PM

Brandon, it is only code to have a walkway in the attic if there is mechanical equipment in there, and then it only has to go from the access to the equipment. BY the way, in CA and TN there is rarely a walkway.

Scone, pretty much the maximum spacing for trusses or ceiling joists is 24". Almost anyone can step 24". It's not that hard.

I use the three point method, similar to rock climbing. Always have 3 contact points (hands and feet) before moving.

I walk on roofs unless the slope is over 8/12, then it's just too steep to safely walk (for me anyway).

Old 08-25-2008, 06:27 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post

Scone, pretty much the maximum spacing for trusses or ceiling joists is 24". Almost anyone can step 24". It's not that hard.
I know. However, when I was talking to Oswego Drywall a few weeks ago, the guy tells me he gets a "leg through the ceiling" call about once a month. Says it's a bread and butter part of the business. Insulation and HVAC guys are the usual suspects...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals