Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 05:28 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,181 times

Advertisements

I know it is common but I don't think I will ever get use to it. I don't understand why buyers stand us up. I waited, she finelly called after being 45 minutes late I went back and waited another 30 minutes. NO Show.

I don't think people realize that we have to make appointments for showings and that this is our time! I am so sick of getting stood up!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 06:02 PM

467 posts, read 1,124,674 times
I got stood up only 2 times. The first time I was brand new and only 1 mile from the showing anyway. The second time I drove 2 hours for a buyer who only lived a mile from the showing.
Since then, I tell all buyers that I need them to come into the office before the showing to go over things with them. Some of them refuse, which tells me they weren't serious buyers anyway. This way it cuts down on wasting my time and gas money.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:43 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundtofindME View Post
I got stood up only 2 times. The first time I was brand new and only 1 mile from the showing anyway. The second time I drove 2 hours for a buyer who only lived a mile from the showing.
Since then, I tell all buyers that I need them to come into the office before the showing to go over things with them. Some of them refuse, which tells me they weren't serious buyers anyway. This way it cuts down on wasting my time and gas money.
I normally do the same the first time I meet a buyer. If they'll meet me at the office then I'll go show the home. I know they are a serious buyer if they meet me in the office and it's also a safety issue to meet strangers. When I do get stood up, I don't worry about it since I'm at the office working rather than wasting time and gas.

I occasionally make exceptions but it's a judgment call. I've developed pretty good judgment over the years. It's part of the business. You're going to need to let stuff like getting stood up go or you won't make it in the business. I'm not excusing standups, but remember that you chose the business and it's part of the business.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:58 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I normally do the same the first time I meet a buyer. If they'll meet me at the office then I'll go show the home. I know they are a serious buyer if they meet me in the office and it's also a safety issue to meet strangers. When I do get stood up, I don't worry about it since I'm at the office working rather than wasting time and gas.

I occasionally make exceptions but it's a judgment call. I've developed pretty good judgment over the years. It's part of the business. You're going to need to let stuff like getting stood up go or you won't make it in the business. I'm not excusing standups, but remember that you chose the business and it's part of the business.
I remember back before cell phones existing (and we used quill pens )a broker that I new had one of those weird "radio phones" bolted in his car. It was like a desk phone but the whole trunk had radios in it. He would always be calling us back at the office or trying the sellers house, or trying the buyers house number. Man must have spent $1000 a month on phone calls. And he was like a shark -- guy never stopped for more than 20 minutes. Constanly "had to be someplace 5 minutes ago".
Guy had a coronary at 40. Learned right then that obsessing about using every minute was not a good plan.

Anyhow, there always SOMETHING you can do when you are a desk -- emails, checking MLS, making lists. Just doesn't make a whole lot sense to sit in your car parked in front of some showing fuming that some not-real-serious 'buyer' has not enough sense to let you know that something else came up.

I too was leary about anyone who was reluctant to come to office ahead of time. I sometimes would offer to come PICK THEM UP, and use the time to chat them up their place and the points in-between. Much better than being stood up.

It is hard to shrug this stuff off, but that is part of the business...

Old 12-21-2008, 06:01 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
I've been stood up only once. But as the other posters state, you can limit your no shows. The time I was stood up it was an out-of-towner. He gave me his cell phone #. I always call before I meet to confirm. I called, it was a wrong number. He never showed, called or nothing. Very odd person when I talked to him-had me send him information beforehand and I felt he wasn't quite right then. You get a feeling when speaking with people if they are serious - even by the house or area they want to look at, or if their budget is reasonable, etc.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:02 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
I don't remember the last time I was stood up. And I don't think I should have just typed that...I'm probably going to have life just smack me in the face with a no-show now, lol.
I always confirm the hour before the appointment. And they get 20 mins. leaway. Any longer than that, I'm outta there.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:44 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I've never had a buyer client no show on me, and I only had a "showing my listing" prospect no show one time. I felt so bad for the sellers.

Since I use buyer agency agreements, I think I tend to rule out the non-serious buyers pretty fast.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:49 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
I think the question actually then is have you ever had an appointment no show on you? (regardless of meeting at the house or office) I'm surprised so many haven't had no shows. Geez, I've even had sellers forget listing appointments. How do you forget putting your house up for sale?

Old 12-21-2008, 11:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
I am another who has not yet experienced a no-show buyer. I know it happens especially to those agents who agree to meet people at the house.

I did however, have an experience with people who portrayed themselves as sellers when they were renters.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:53 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,181 times
Thanks you all, I feel better just having someone to blow off stream with! I rarely meet people at the house and I don't know why I did, except that I know her and didn't even think she would do this but she did. Even in this market I am thinking she is trouble and I should probobly be careful about working with her in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals