Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times

Advertisements

Seeing a new phenomena as this mess matures. There appear to be very few to no sales to owner occupied at the low end.

At 50K to 75K we are seeing over 80% cash and conventional. Below 50K it is something like 92% cash and conventional.

This is a sampling of the contracts opened in early June.

Above 100K it appears that FHA and VA are well over 50% of sales.

I would also note that the majority of MLS listings are for cash/conv only and the agents are refusing FHA offers. Even Homesteps (Freddie Mac) offerings are doing it.

Sounds like an easy way to unload listings but very bad public policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 10:51 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If I get your drift, you are thinking that INVESTORS are turning what used to be "owner areas" into "tracts of rental homes". That may be the case, and if it is the investors may be creating a mess for themselves. Single family rental homes clustered together are no easier to manage than large apartment complexes, and in some ways harder to prevent declining values...

The lenders do this to themselves by NOT WORKING WITH BORROWERS, and that is a damned shame.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:52 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
Many owner occupied buyers pay cash or use convential.

I don't know your market but remember VA is an expensive transaction for the SELLER. So if the seller is taking a hit on price they often don't want to accept VA.

Another point to consider - condition of the property. VA & FHA do their own inspections. If they find frayed carpet, a sticky door - they will require the seller fix it before closing. So again, the burden is increased on the seller. There may be many cases where the seller simply is not willing to do any fix up and wants to sell it "as is". Unless the property is in very good condition that won't work for VA & FHA.

I've worked with all type of buyers - owner occupied and investors. FHA is not available to investors. I've had several owner occ. buyers pay cash. I would say most owner occupied buyers I've worked with have used conventional financing.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
"VA & FHA do their own inspections."
__________________________________________________ ______________

Neither VA or FHA perform or require a home inspection.

VA/FHA lenders are required to use approved VA/FHA appraisers who follow VA/FHA guidelines. This is not your typical appraisal nor is it a home inspection.

Buyers should always hire their own home inspector regardless of the type of financing they use.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
"VA & FHA do their own inspections."
__________________________________________________ ______________

Neither VA or FHA perform or require a home inspection.

VA/FHA lenders are required to use approved VA/FHA appraisers who follow VA/FHA guidelines. This is not your typical appraisal nor is it a home inspection.

Buyers should always hire their own home inspector regardless of the type of financing they use.
And the FHA appraisal is reasonably sensible. They don't do sticky doors or frayed carpets. The do bad sinks and non-working or missing stoves.

The problem I think is that they are inserting all renters into the most fragile neighborhoods. You have the older holdouts who have hung on and the recent first time homebuyers. Now you introduce large numbers of renters to neighborhoods that probably have too high a percentage already.

Here is a chart that shows how bad it actually is...

http://www.donohueteam.com/Realtor/R...s/Lowendct.htm

And it is trivial to show that virtually none of either the cash or conv buyers are owner occupied.

We are talking here about 1200 or so homes per month. And reasonably concentrated in a few central city areas.

It won't take very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals