Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 15,823 times

Advertisements

Is it legal, in any way, to pay an individual (unlicensed) for bringing a lead (in New York State)?

Options:
1) Developer with an unlisted property pays a citizen who brings a buyer a flat finders fee ("thank your friend")

2) Developer pays a broker for closing the deal with the buyer AND pays citizen a finders fee for bringing a buyer (pays the individual who brought the contact info to the broker)

3) Developer pays a company a marketing fee once a property is sold, company pays citizen a finders fee for finding a buyer

4) Developer pays a company a fixed fee for marketing (whether sold or not) company pays a citizen a finders fee for finding a buyer

I've read through some law, and called a few lawyers - most seem to only say "no", seemingly more so out of fear than any specific research or cited law. I'd like to read the reason why for each of the above, if it is know to you, so that I can be sure to avoid and potential pitfalls.

Please let me know if you've worked out a way to pay a "friend" for their service in bringing a buyer to a developer/owner.

Any links you can share, or forums/forum posts would be helpful!

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 06:17 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
You are in the RE Professionals forum.
If any of them are stupid enough to say they break the law, then they deserve to lose their license.

But, for a significant finders' fee I will dig up the North Carolina statute for ya!

And a developer would be nuts to open up that liability mess for a sale or two.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 PM

I asked for "any way in which it would be legal". I understand buying leads, presumably in bulk, is legal. I'm trying to understand where the boundaries stop.

If someone provides a contact, and that contact turns into a sale, who can compensate that someone and on what grounds (what is the process). Looking for developer->friend, or developer->agent->friend.

thanks

Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Seems to me that if a developer wanted to pay a consulting fee to a friend who brought a buyer, they could do so as ordinary citizens, so long as the income was reported as a 1099.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonusr View Post
I asked for "any way in which it would be legal". I understand buying leads, presumably in bulk, is legal. I'm trying to understand where the boundaries stop.

If someone provides a contact, and that contact turns into a sale, who can compensate that someone and on what grounds (what is the process). Looking for developer->friend, or developer->agent->friend.

thanks
There are 2 threads going here on the same topic: Essentially, how can an unlicensed person be compensated (paid a referral fee) on a real estate transaction that results in a sale. In this post, I'm just going to cut to the chase.

Pay an attorney a small amount of money for sound legal advice FIRST or do what you want and possibly require the services of a good defense attorney - and as a former paralegal for criminal and civil litigators, they just love those billable hours - can you say 'cha ching'. So just talk to an attorney FIRST to see if you can legally do this or face the piper comin' a callin' later.

Last edited by JustJoy; 09-09-2009 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-09-2009, 09:00 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
"Bringing a Buyer" is a brokerage function. Pay licensed brokers.

Selling leads is a scumbucket function. Pay the scumbucket. Up front. With no stipulation of closing a transaction.

It would be nuts to pay a commission, a finder's fee if you will, off the HUD1 statement. And it would be foolhardy to engage an untrained, unlicensed salesperson to broker buyers with the liability that endeavor entails.
So, if the nutty developer says he wants his cozy little row of quaint "family-friendly" loveshacks kept white as rice, and some amateur bird dog goes along with it, who picks up the Fair Housing tab?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals