Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 5,219 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

This seems like a great forum and I am happy I found it. I will be starting a residential career in NYC sometime next month and I am looking for a little advice.

As I was looking for companies to work out of, I came across something I just don't understand. I was looking at the profiles of agents for two agencies that I was interested in (One large and popular, other fairly small). Mainly looking at younger agents, I saw that those in the large company had about 3-7 rental listings each. I noticed the young agents in the smaller company had 50+ listings each. How could this be? Is the smaller company simply giving their agents these listings (mainly rentals), are they all legit, etc?

Another question is: As I start out, I know quite a few people in and around the city on a casual to friendly basis, although many are internet buddies and I haven't met them. I plan to ask quite a few if they knew anyone that was looking for a place to rent, etc, etc just to get the ball rolling for myself. And if anyone went through me because of their referral and ended up renting, I would give them some $ for their time and as appreciation. Would this be an illegal referral fee?

Thanks for your help and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 AM

43,283 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Smaller firm specializes in property management.
Larger firm specializes in sales.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerHockey View Post
And if anyone went through me because of their referral and ended up renting, I would give them some $ for their time and as appreciation. Would this be an illegal referral fee?
Not legal.

Referral fees are interesting. While you cannot pay Joe Blow a refferal fee of say $100 it is perfectly legal and required that one pays a substantial " professional" referral fee to a relocation company or asset manager ( foreclosed property) . These fees are often in the 35-40% of gross commission, range.

It is also legal to pay another broker ( not agent) a referral fee for new business. In my area, this fee ranges from 25-35% of the gross commission.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 5,219 times
Mike- Thanks. The large firm actually leads the way in rentals in NYC (although the more senior agents of course mainly focus on sales). I even just looked at another small firm to check the listings of some of the younger agents and once again they had way more on average compared to the large firm. It just gives the illusion that the folks at the smaller firms I was looking into are given more chance to succeed, but I may be missing something here.

Hey Middle-aged Mom- I kind of figured that it may not be legal and that is too bad. . Although it would still be possible for me to ask them to check around as long as they do not receive anything from it, true? I still don't see it right if a friend gave me 5 good leads and in turn he/she received nothing from it. Unless I sent them Christmas cards every year with a token of my appreciation, which of course would be illegal as well probably. Oh well. Thanks for the quick answer.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:

Unless I sent them Christmas cards every year with a token of my appreciation, which of course would be illegal as well probably. Oh well. Thanks for the quick answer.

You can have client appreciation nights or give your clients gifts a small gift. You just can't give them something directly for a referral.

I gave all of my clients a small easter gift one year for my client appreciation gift. If they aren't a former client (ie meaning you closed a transaction with them) and you are giving them something, I think that is pretty dubious and I personally wouldn't tread into that territory.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:24 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,990 times
The easiest thing to do is to get a "job" that has no pay! LOL
Speak with several brokerages to find one that is a good fit for what your goals are. Remember each brokerage will do it's best to sign up new agents. The choice of a large or small firm depends greatly on your comfort level. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

In the end, you will find you will need to develop your own business. The level of support or assistance from your office will vary, but you are self employed and will need to take full responsibility for the direction of your business.

Yes. I'm in agreement with the other posts - such referral payments are not legal. If your real estate education did not cover what you can and can not pay for ... take pause. Study up! The last thing you want to do is loose your license after earning it!

Best wishes in your new business!

Old 10-09-2009, 03:37 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
My suggestion is to go with the company that offers the better training and education. You can always switch companies later if you want to but if you don't get trained right in the beginning chances of you washing out are astronomical.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:40 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Whatever you do, pay the 4-500 to enroll and use the Buffini 100 Days to Greatness program. It works and pretty cheap way to get started.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:42 PM

43,283 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Mike- Thanks. The large firm actually leads the way in rentals in NYC (although the more senior agents of course mainly focus on sales). I even just looked at another small firm to check the listings of some of the younger agents and once again they had way more on average compared to the large firm. It just gives the illusion that the folks at the smaller firms I was looking into are given more chance to succeed, but I may be missing something here.
Oh. Yeah. NYC.
A different planet than mine.

I know you folks do stuff a little differently.
It would be worthwhile to work your geographic location into your CityData account.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:07 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
[quote=BauerHockey;11112009]
And if anyone went through me because of their referral and ended up renting, I would give them some $ for their time and as appreciation. Would this be an illegal referral fee? [quote]

In Texas it is illegal to pay a referral fee to anyone that does not hold a real estate license. Also, gifts to clients cannot exceed $25 value.

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals