Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:13 AM

191 posts, read 712,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I've heard of this tactic though I've never actually seen it succeed. Can you update us as to your opinions on how much this helps?

Thanks
At this point we are willing to try anything. I'll keep you posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 07:10 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times
Quote:
what order will I show those houses in????
you're dang skippy
I have to make money too
I do not know which one my client will pick but when comparing apples I will pick the ripest one first

That is why you offer the bulk of your money to the buyers agent
Wow. I'm disappointed. As a Realtor I think your attitude gives us all a bad rap. Your primary motivation should be to locate the very best home you can find for your buyer. By drooling over the one with the higher commission, you're placing your financial interests ahead of your buyer's needs, aren't you?

You've just described behavior that would be a violation of the Realtor Code of Ethics.
http://www.realtor.org/mempolweb.nsf/pages/code

Even if your buyer "picks" the house, how can you know that your advise isn't tainted by your desire to make more money?

No wonder the Feds are breathing down our throats over commissions. Maybe they're right and Realtors really are mostly greedy and selfish.

Steve

Old 05-09-2007, 07:20 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,211,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Wow. I'm disappointed. As a Realtor I think your attitude gives us all a bad rap. Your primary motivation should be to locate the very best home you can find for your buyer. By drooling over the one with the higher commission, you're placing your financial interests ahead of your buyer's needs, aren't you?

You've just described behavior that would be a violation of the Realtor Code of Ethics.
http://www.realtor.org/mempolweb.nsf/pages/code

Even if your buyer "picks" the house, how can you know that your advise isn't tainted by your desire to make more money?
No wonder the Feds are breathing down our throats over commissions. Maybe they're right and Realtors really are mostly greedy and selfish.

Steve
I purposely said with all houses being equal to my clients criteria
I would definately show them all but in a certain order

On the highlighted part
because it is not my job to steer toward or away from a house
I just said my preference of order for showing
I am not unethical
I specifically said my viewing order
and tell me you don't look at that little number when you are looking up houses
wouldn't it be in my clients best interest to make sure I was paid by the seller so she doesn't have more money coming out of her pocket at closing?

Old 05-09-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
and tell me you don't look at that little number when you are looking up houses
I don't. It's not relevant to me. Our Buyers agree to pay us our percentage via the Buyer Rep agreement. They cover any shortage that may exist (very rare - only once the past two years) and we pass through any excess (also rare, but more common on new home sales).

Quote:
wouldn't it be in my clients best interest to make sure I was paid by the seller so she doesn't have more money coming out of her pocket at closing?
That's your client's decision to make.

Quote:
I would definately show them all but in a certain order
Why in a different order? Because of the commission you'll receive? I don't understand the rationale if you are saying the commission doesn't motivate you.

Sorry to sound preachy, or holier than thou. I'm not perfect by any means. But our industry is under assault with regard to commissions and how we are paid. I just wish more agents would be grounded in a true service oriented approach to the business. When you do right by clients and put their interests first, year after year, and you're a real professional, the money takes care of itself and eventually you become unconcious of it.

To the original question. Yes, the extra 0.5% to the Selling Agent (Buyer's Agent) may actually help the property be shown more (or at least 1st at it would appear). It can't hurt. But if location, price and condition are not right, it won't matter much.

Take Care

Old 05-10-2007, 08:31 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,211,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I don't. It's not relevant to me. Our Buyers agree to pay us our percentage via the Buyer Rep agreement. They cover any shortage that may exist (very rare - only once the past two years) and we pass through any excess (also rare, but more common on new home sales).

That's your client's decision to make.

Why in a different order? Because of the commission you'll receive? I don't understand the rationale if you are saying the commission doesn't motivate you.

Sorry to sound preachy, or holier than thou. I'm not perfect by any means. But our industry is under assault with regard to commissions and how we are paid. I just wish more agents would be grounded in a true service oriented approach to the business. When you do right by clients and put their interests first, year after year, and you're a real professional, the money takes care of itself and eventually you become unconcious of it.

To the original question. Yes, the extra 0.5% to the Selling Agent (Buyer's Agent) may actually help the property be shown more (or at least 1st at it would appear). It can't hurt. But if location, price and condition are not right, it won't matter much.

Take Care
why is it ok for you to agree with that or state that
but it not ok for me to tell them why???
didn't we just say the same thing

if you offer the agent more it will attract more agents to your home

it just seems a little hypacritical for you to say it is ok to phrase it your way but not to phrase it mine

with that said
I also agree with you in telling the poster if the other ingredients aren't there
you won't make the buyer buy.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
if you offer the agent more it will attract more agents to your home

it just seems a little hypacritical for you to say it is ok to phrase it your way but not to phrase it mine
What I mean to say is, offering a higher commission to the Buyer Agent will probably help, and I'm ashamed of our industry because of that.

It will NOT help with honest and ethical Realtors who are not swayed or influenced by the amount of commission they might earn. But since most Builders use incentives, and I see them in Realtor listings occassionally, I assume the tactic works at least some of the time with ceratin Realtors who can be influenced in that way.

Steve

Old 05-11-2007, 11:25 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,899,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
My realtor suggested to bring the commission for the seller (whoever that may be) to 3.5% instead of 3%. My realtor will keep hers at 3%. I sure hope this works!! Our house is priced very well, in fact, I think it is below what it should be at. What we are up against is the backyard. It has a pool/jacuzzi and fire pit, and that is about it. People want all that plus a large lawn. That is our only problem.

Liz

I think that you are in competition with a lot of homes and yours has a draw back that others don't. In my opinion, you might try offering something to the buyers to compensate for that drawback or lower the price. I don't think it has anything to do with giving the agents more money. You have a product that is attractive to a smaller audience. Again, there is a lot of competition out there. Take that 1/2 percent off the price since it's coming out of your pocket anyway.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:58 PM

56 posts, read 290,807 times
Default Don't agree with colleague

As a realtor, I don't agree with only showing listings with higher commission splits. I don't pick and choose based on percentage but rather if it works for my clients. If they are happy, that comes back to me in terrific ways...referrals! If they are not, I may have made a strong commission on that sale, but after that transaction, there may not be another. I understand that if someone is working in an area where "discount" brokers are the rule rather than the exception, it's hard to make a decent living. However, like anything else in business, a good mix is healthy and not all deals could be record breakers. I show my clients the listings that seem to meet their needs and criteria. If they like the house with a lower percentage, no problem...I still make money!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:24 AM

179 posts, read 784,438 times
Lizardlips - I would only offer up the extra 1/2% if other sellers in your area are paying out an agent bonus. Don't want to have a buyer's agent cut you from their showing list or have a "not so enthusiastic" attitude when showing your house. (How do they sleep at night?...probably counting $$). If no one is offering an agent bonus, then cut the 1/2% off your listing price. Also, re-check the available listings in your area/price range. Has anything sold recently? New listings to the market? Your low maint., environmentally friendly back yard will appeal to someone. It just takes a little time. Relax and good luck.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:34 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,837,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
ok as an agent let me give you this in black and white
on the mls there is a little section in there for agents it tells them how much they will recieve in commission when they bring a ready willing and able buyer to the closing table for that house

Do you think that if there are say 4 houses that fit my clients criteria and one is offered at 2%
there are 2 of them at 3%
and then there is one of them at 3.5%

what order will I show those houses in????
you're dang skippy
I have to make money too
I do not know which one my client will pick but when comparing apples I will pick the ripest one first

That is why you offer the bulk of your money to the buyers agent
I am also disappointed with this post. Your supposed to have your clients interest above yours. If I am representing a buyer I could care less what the commission is as long as they find the home they are looking for. I personally never look at the commission until its time to write the contract as the lawyers always send over there closing sheets asking for this.

Represent your buyer to the fullest not your wallet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals