Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 04:10 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times

Advertisements

The market is softening up a bit in our area, but homes with views on premium lots are still in demand. We have such a house. But we are interested in making an offer on another house in our community. that house is also on a view lot but has a west orientation, our has north. But we like that house. Its overpriced and has been on the market 34 days, a long time for view lots here.

We want to make an offer contingent on the sale of our house. We know contingent offers are very, very unpopular with sellers. We are debating whether to use our (Redfin) realtor who we have used in the past and we like their rebates. Or, just use the listing agent (as duel agency) on the house we want because she would also get our house to list so would be motivated to encourage her buyers to look extra hard at our deal.

Your thoughts as realtors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 04:13 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
If the agent is motivated to undercut her current client to line her pockets with your listing, what makes you think she will treat you more ethically than the current client?

Old 10-21-2023, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If the agent is motivated to undercut her current client to line her pockets with your listing, what makes you think she will treat you more ethically than the current client?
Do you think that would be “undercutting?”

Old 10-21-2023, 04:43 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
(as duel agency)
The term "duel" is used when each person, armed with a pistol walks 10 paces turns around and shoots at their opponent. "Dual" agency is when a single realtor represents the buyer and the seller in the same transaction.

Old 10-21-2023, 04:58 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:

Is that a quick jump on your part? By that logic, there should never be ANY dual agency deals.

Old 10-21-2023, 05:16 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Is that a quick jump on your part? By that logic, there should never be ANY dual agency deals.
You misinterpret to a degree.

IF the agent finds a reason to favor an offer because it will make her more money, that is a huge red flag regarding ethics.

But, FWIW, dual agency is not legal in all states. It certainly can be problematic.
I worked hard to avoid getting into dual agency and advised all my buyers and sellers to not allow it in initial listing and buyers agency agreements.

I referred buyers out without a referral fee when they wanted to move forward on my listings.

Old 10-22-2023, 10:15 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:

But, FWIW, dual agency is not legal in all states.
It should be prohibited in EVERY state.

It's a scam.

The realtor representing the seller is NOT representing the buyer no matter what the forms or the law says.

Look at it this way. Would you want your spouse's lawyer "representing" you in the divorce? One would have to be really stupid to go along with that.

Old 10-22-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
It should be prohibited in EVERY state.

It's a scam.

The realtor representing the seller is NOT representing the buyer no matter what the forms or the law says.

Look at it this way. Would you want your spouse's lawyer "representing" you in the divorce? One would have to be really stupid to go along with that.
Ha Ha, Actually my former spouse and I went through divorce mediation. It was fine.

Old 10-22-2023, 01:17 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
The market is softening up a bit in our area, but homes with views on premium lots are still in demand. We have such a house. But we are interested in making an offer on another house in our community. that house is also on a view lot but has a west orientation, our has north. But we like that house. Its overpriced and has been on the market 34 days, a long time for view lots here.

We want to make an offer contingent on the sale of our house. We know contingent offers are very, very unpopular with sellers. We are debating whether to use our (Redfin) realtor who we have used in the past and we like their rebates. Or, just use the listing agent (as duel agency) on the house we want because she would also get our house to list so would be motivated to encourage her buyers to look extra hard at our deal.

Your thoughts as realtors?
Perhaps other Realtors engage in hard selling their clients more than I do, but the decision on your offer will depend on what the sellers think of your offer, not what their agent thinks. I don't sit and try to talk clients into accepting an offer. I explain the offer to them, they make up their own mind. If there is negotiation to happen in this scenario, it should be to talk the buyer into a higher price, not seller into a lower one. They work for the seller.

I think very simple and friendly as-is sales can sometimes be managed just fine without two agents. That said, I don't think contingent lowball offers usually fall in to that category. This is a situation likely to create ill-will by a seller who will feel like they were taken advantage of before it's over.

Make your best offer through your agent and hope for the best.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:02 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
So the choices are an agent that gives you a rebate or an agent that you're hoping isn't ethical? Doesn't sound like much of a choice. Which one do you prefer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals