Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:32 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba&G View Post
The brady bunch had 6 children in a three bedroom house, why the hell do people with one baby, that is on the way, need to upgrade from that? I miss bunk beds and sharing rooms. That was the sort of thing that brought a family together.
Agreed, but you fogot about Alice's room. That would be 4 bedrooms for resale, if buyers could get past the wood paneling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 01:44 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Agreed, but you fogot about Alice's room. That would be 4 bedrooms for resale, if buyers could get past the wood paneling.
Haha, can you imagine what the prospective buyers would say about this house on HGTV? Maybe the Bradys would have to go on Designed to Sell first.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:13 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Haha, can you imagine what the prospective buyers would say about this house on HGTV? Maybe the Bradys would have to go on Designed to Sell first.
And I had to watch House Hunters to learn that the one bathroom those 6 kids were fighting over is called a "Jack and Jill" bathroom. Who knew?!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:11 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
I have to concur about how spoiled a lot of the people on HGTV are. I spent most of my youth living in three bedroom apartments with two siblings and my parents and liked them. Maybe that is just my working class taste, but holy Jesus, when I see a lot of these upper end homes that look like your living more in a medical office building, museum or hotel I just shake my head.

And people whine when they can't get granite countertops, stainless steel appliances and dual pedestal sinks in a $200-300k house? Sorry if I want to get out the Louisville slugger and beat some sense of proportion into their heads.

"HGTV gets jiggy when Snoop Dog and Flava Flav become realtors and sell crack houses to drug dealers on 'Keeping it Real [Estate].' Excerpt: 'I don't know Snoop man, I think that front door needs to be reinforced six inch steel and not hollow core wood.' 'Yo, check it, it has a small yard so it's close to the curb for running out and making quick deals my man. Mo money, mo money, mo money!' "But c'mon man, it doesn't have granite counters and there's no stainless steel meth lab in the garage! Gonna have to build that s*** from scratch. It's a total fixer upper!'

Old 11-25-2015, 06:55 AM

914 posts, read 1,138,221 times
I was watching the other night, and this poor couple bought a house in a neighborhood of Southern California called "Eagle Rock." Evidently, it's one of the hottest neighborhoods in the country, and every house they made offers on had like 50 other offers. The end up with 1200 square feet of a total dump for $450K, and spend around 70K upgrading it with a lot of sweat equity. The house sits on what looks like a cliff with about a million zig zag stairs needed to get to the front door. The foundation is all cracked, and the home looks like a garage. There are only two bedrooms and one bathroom and I checked the schools, they're lousy in that area, so I don't get it??! I don't live in California, so I'll never understand why this home is so valuable. They can't even get a third bedroom because the contractor told them it would cost $60K to do the structural changes needed for one. They did manage to get a second small bathroom though.

At the end of the show, she announces she's pregnant, so oh great, for all this money, she gets to raise her family in a two bedroom house (what if she has more kids?), and gets to send them to lousy schools. They were a nice couple, but I just felt bad for all that work they did. If I were them, if that neighborhood is supposedly so hot, I'd resell to some other dummies, and make a huge profit, and buy something with a third bedroom, better schools, and not on a cliff that looks like it's about to landslide.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:09 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
I was watching the other night, and this poor couple bought a house in a neighborhood of Southern California called "Eagle Rock." Evidently, it's one of the hottest neighborhoods in the country, and every house they made offers on had like 50 other offers. The end up with 1200 square feet of a total dump for $450K, and spend around 70K upgrading it with a lot of sweat equity. The house sits on what looks like a cliff with about a million zig zag stairs needed to get to the front door. The foundation is all cracked, and the home looks like a garage. There are only two bedrooms and one bathroom and I checked the schools, they're lousy in that area, so I don't get it??! I don't live in California, so I'll never understand why this home is so valuable. They can't even get a third bedroom because the contractor told them it would cost $60K to do the structural changes needed for one. They did manage to get a second small bathroom though.

At the end of the show, she announces she's pregnant, so oh great, for all this money, she gets to raise her family in a two bedroom house (what if she has more kids?), and gets to send them to lousy schools. They were a nice couple, but I just felt bad for all that work they did. If I were them, if that neighborhood is supposedly so hot, I'd resell to some other dummies, and make a huge profit, and buy something with a third bedroom, better schools, and not on a cliff that looks like it's about to landslide.
I don't know anything about Eagle Rock, CA but I can tell you that you can't even buy a house in the town I live in for $450K. That kind of money will get you a 1,000 sq ft two bedroom, 2 bathroom condo here. I don't even live in the most expensive town in the Boston area and San Francisco and NYC are even more expensive places to live.

When it comes down to it, home prices are a lot about supply & demand. If someone wasn't willing to pay the price then the house wouldn't sell for that much. So, there must be something good about living in Eagle Rock, CA.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:16 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Location, location, location. $450k for a 1,200 house in Eagle Rock with garage, yard, and everything; sounds like a pretty solid deal to me, even with all the problems that come with it. This kind of house can go for north of $650k after it has been fixed up.

Quote:
That's easy for you to say, but not everyone can afford the $800k and UP that would be needed to buy such a house.

These types of houses are starter homes, mostly for young couples just like them (kids not at school age).
The family will probably sell the house in a few years after it has appreciated significantly and combine with more savings to buy a bigger house in a better school district. The hard part is getting the foot in the door, and they've done just that.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:51 AM

I looked up Eagle Rock and I couldn't find what was so great about it. All I know is that it's a suburb of LA and some movie productions are done there. Oh and it is named for a rock that has an eagle looking formation. I suppose the weather is nice, but so is all of S. Cal. I get Boston. Manhattan, but not this place. Oh well.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:32 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Location, location, location. $450k for a 1,200 house in Eagle Rock with garage, yard, and everything; sounds like a pretty solid deal to me, even with all the problems that come with it. This kind of house can go for north of $650k after it has been fixed up.
And I thought New Jersey's real estate prices were nuts!

Old 11-26-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
And I thought New Jersey's real estate prices were nuts!
That's a bargain for Eagle Rock evidently, at $450K for 1200 square feet of a run down dump. I found ONE good thing about Eagle Rock. Apparently the property taxes are lower, so you're not spending $1K/month+ on property taxes like where I live, or in New Jersey. That can probably afford you a much more expensive home.

I was looking at all the real estate there, and yuck. There are other nicer areas near LA that are less expensive per square foot, and seem to have better schools, so again, I don't get what's so special about Eagle Rock? Is the downtown area there that special?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate