Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:24 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times

Advertisements

Here's a weird homebuying issue that I never thought of until I saw it happening...it hasn't happened to me yet, but it could, so I'm asking advice in advance!

I walk my dog through a very cute little development. There are two houses in this development, right next door to each other, owned by cat lovers. Both owners keep outside cats as well as feed the local strays. (they also pay to spay/neuter the strays, which is nice). Many of the houses have dogs, and these cats are not afraid of dogs, including mine.

A house right next door to one of the cat houses was recently bought by someone with three dogs. The cats are always in their driveway and I've seen the dogs go a little crazy. This house has a fenced yard; I have no idea if the cats go in the yard.

Down the street is a house with an electric fence, and that owner told me the cats really antagonize his dogs.

So here is my potential future problem: my dog, though a sweet dog, has major prey drive. Can't be trusted with cats. She loses her mind when she sees them. I never thought to ask before I buy a house if the potential future neighbors have outdoor cats, but this made me realize I should.

What happens if your dog is outside in your own yard, happens to hate cats, and a neighbor's cat goes into your yard...and tragedy ensues? Aside from the fact that I love cats too and would be horrified...what's the liability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:30 AM

577 posts, read 2,061,259 times
If your dog is in his own yard and/or on a leash and an outdoor cat is injured by your dog I think the responsibility lies with the cat owner. Most cat experts, rescue groups and vets state that cats should be kept indoors because outside is too dangerous in most cases for a variety of reasons. If I were to keep an outdoor cat I would consider it quite possible for the cat to be in a fight with a wild animal, another cat, or a dog. This would be the chance I took with an outdoor cat. That doesn't make it a pleasant situation, but I would know the risks involved and your question is about one of them.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 AM

475 posts, read 571,393 times
Shoot the cats.

I say this as an indoor cat owner (As much as anyone really "owns" a cat, anyhow)

Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
If the cat is on your property then you have no liability, generally speaking. The cat is trespassing

Old 08-05-2010, 08:34 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Two comments.

1. I would never make a home buying decision based on how many outdoor cats there may be unless we were talking about literally hundreds of cats.

2. The world can do with a few less stray cats.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
I once recommended a BB gun on CD to handle stray cats and man did I take heat from the Cat Lovers.

But I still have my son's Red Ryder around the house and it can be useful at times.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:26 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times

Old 08-05-2010, 09:42 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,029 times
It is not the cats' fault, imo. Owners should be responsible, no matter what pets they have.

My dogs only go out in the yard if I am with them or can see them. They cannot jump over/under the fence, and they know it is their place. I keep them in their place, and do not let them go to someone else's home unless clearly invited and announced. Also, I always let them know whether someone is coming and I never get close to someone else's pet (or let my dogs do it) without asking first, no matter where we are.

Another example: they only go for walks on a leash. You never know, they might see a squirrel or a small animal and run to the middle of the road. If a car hits them bc they are unleashed, it is not the driver's fault (if he was driving regularly). If the dogs were properly secured, it would not have happened. I am the owner, so I am the one who should make sure they are safe at all times.

Just my opinion, though.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:18 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
Thanks! Yeah I'd never have my dog out in a fenced yard unless I were out there (that's because I once rented a house and found a pygmy rattlesnake in my yard, near my elderly dog). I always walk her on a leash. I really feel for the people who bought the house next to the cat house...but, the person who bought the house happens to be a police officer so I'm sure he/she will handle it

I live in an apartment complex behind this street and the cats are always walking through the complex, which makes walking my dog pretty tiresome, but I practice "leave it" training when we see them (my dog is on a leash). I have no idea if cats like to jump fences but these cats have no fear of dogs!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,646,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
If your dog is in his own yard and/or on a leash and an outdoor cat is injured by your dog I think the responsibility lies with the cat owner. Most cat experts, rescue groups and vets state that cats should be kept indoors because outside is too dangerous in most cases for a variety of reasons. If I were to keep an outdoor cat I would consider it quite possible for the cat to be in a fight with a wild animal, another cat, or a dog. This would be the chance I took with an outdoor cat. That doesn't make it a pleasant situation, but I would know the risks involved and your question is about one of them.
I'm an animal lover and I agree. You can't control another animal going INTO and ONTO your property especially when the owners of that other animal (i.e., the cat) do nothing to control their pets. That would be tragic if that happened but you have done your due diligence by providing adequate fencing for your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate