Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:33 AM

3 posts, read 8,562 times

Advertisements

Question is in the title, I have been wanting a four-door full sized pickup truck for a good while (right now I have an old mid-sized two door) and have other uses for it (I run a lawn service in addition to being a teacher, but plan to leave teaching when the lawn service and/or realtor thing take full swing... I'm still a young gun...).

I just passed my PSI yesterday and plan to start doing some real estate as well. Apart from the gas mileage I will get, is there anything wrong with a 4 door pickup truck? Will my clients have a problem with it? It can be a little hard to get into for older folks, should I go buy an inexpensive, clean vehicle for real estate to save mpg and for a better impression? I was thinking about getting a used Civic, Camry, or Prius hybrid for ideal fuel economy and the "sedan feel" a lot of people want.. What do you think? Actually probably just a Civic or Camry hybrid, I wouldn't want to offend any of my clients with a Prius, have you ever heard it idle? It goes "homo-homo-homo-homo-homo"

Second question, if I decided to wait on my truck, since I have a truck to do what I need a truck for, do you think clients would think anything negative about a Subaru Impreza WRX? It is basically an Impreza with a sportier look and faster engine. Obviously I wouldn't be showing off the 0 to 60 qualities of the car with clients, but if I were to buy a car it would be what I would want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 05:56 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCteacher1983 View Post
Question is in the title, I have been wanting a four-door full sized pickup truck for a good while (right now I have an old mid-sized two door) and have other uses for it (I run a lawn service in addition to being a teacher, but plan to leave teaching when the lawn service and/or realtor thing take full swing... I'm still a young gun...).

I just passed my PSI yesterday and plan to start doing some real estate as well. Apart from the gas mileage I will get, is there anything wrong with a 4 door pickup truck? Will my clients have a problem with it? It can be a little hard to get into for older folks, should I go buy an inexpensive, clean vehicle for real estate to save mpg and for a better impression? I was thinking about getting a used Civic, Camry, or Prius hybrid for ideal fuel economy and the "sedan feel" a lot of people want.. What do you think? Actually probably just a Civic or Camry hybrid, I wouldn't want to offend any of my clients with a Prius, have you ever heard it idle? It goes "homo-homo-homo-homo-homo"

Second question, if I decided to wait on my truck, since I have a truck to do what I need a truck for, do you think clients would think anything negative about a Subaru Impreza WRX? It is basically an Impreza with a sportier look and faster engine. Obviously I wouldn't be showing off the 0 to 60 qualities of the car with clients, but if I were to buy a car it would be what I would want.
I've thought about those too. Here's something you probably haven't thought about:

It probably won't fit in your garage.

Last edited by Charles; 08-27-2010 at 07:14 AM..

Old 08-27-2010, 06:22 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
I have had agents with both full sized crew cab trucks and tiny, cramped cars. I much prefer to ride around in the truck. The truck is taller and I can see a lot more. There is room for all of the folders, clipboards, and other stuff that gets toted around.

The last time I rode around with an agent he had some tiny import POS car. He had a bunch of his stuff in the back seat. He said "oh, there is not going to be room for both of you in here, is there?" WTF?

If you want you clients to be comfortable and thinking about houses and not just being miserable because they are cramped and just wishing to get it over with, go for the truck.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:27 AM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Very VERY rarely do I have clients in my own car.

They prefer to ride in their own vehicle and follow behind.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:39 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Very VERY rarely do I have clients in my own car.

They prefer to ride in their own vehicle and follow behind.
I will not use an agent that will not drive me around. I might meet an agent at a house, but if I am spending the day looking there is no way there are going to be 2 cars.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:44 AM

475 posts, read 571,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

I probably won't fit in your garage.
You must be huge!

Old 08-27-2010, 06:45 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I will not use an agent that will not drive me around. I might meet an agent at a house, but if I am spending the day looking there is no way there are going to be 2 cars.
Same here. And certainly if it's an area I am not familiar with.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:36 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
If a realtor is going to drive me around I am accepting of anything s/he drives if I am shopping for a home under $500K. If I am looking at luxury homes then I'd expect someone in a vehicle that messages they are in the cache of equivalent of the RE "Millionares Club." I usually drive my own car and meet the agent. But if I were not local, I'd prefer we all go in the same vehicle.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
If a realtor is going to drive me around I am accepting of anything s/he drives if I am shopping for a home under $500K. If I am looking at luxury homes then I'd expect someone in a vehicle that messages they are in the cache of equivalent of the RE "Millionares Club." I usually drive my own car and meet the agent. But if I were not local, I'd prefer we all go in the same vehicle.

Some of the benefits of the realtor driving a person around is 1) his gas, 2) you can think about things, look things up, refer to papers and laptop while he's driving, 3) he can answer questions real time, provide comments on the drive about stores, traffic, schools, etc, 4) you can look around and get a feel for the neighborhoods while you're driving since you aren't focusing on the road, 5) you can make real time adjustments to the day's schedule or plan, 6) you can check out his car.

Benefits of driving yourself in a separate vehicle from him: You can talk to your spouse without him hearing your private conversation.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:51 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I honestly don't care what kind of car the realtor has as long as we can fit it in comfortably. I'm not going to feel any different if the agent has a BMW or a Honda Accord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate