Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 05:39 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,534 times

Advertisements

What do you think? We made an offer, the sellers realtor came back with minimal counter but said they would accommodate our closing time frame and offer a quick contract.

We gave them the price they were looking for yesterday and last night they accepted. Today the sellers realtor said now they want to change the date of closing to later-something we dont want to do. She then said she spoke to the realtor of the people that are buying our house and that realtor told her her clients-our buyers-would be ok with that.

I was fuming-my realtor was fuming-how dare she get into my business and start arranging things-my husband told my realtor to tell the realtor of the house we want to purchase no way and if she gets involved with our sale we will walk. She and our buyers realtor work in the same office-my buyers realtor was upset about it and i heard she knew she shouldnt have gotten involved- I think the people who we are buying from have a sneaky realtor-there have been a few other things that lead me to this.

From a professional realtors opinion, do you think she crossed the line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
The agents are trying to solve a problem before coming to you and asking for a delay. I get that you think they were sneaking around behind your back, but when agents talk about things like this at the office, it's usually casual as in "Do you think your buyer would be OK with..."

Remember that nothing is real in real estate until it is in writing and signed. If you don't want to do it, say no. If you like the house, keep with the contract, if you don't, move on. Your relationship with the seller's agent will last a month or two, and then that person is gone and you are living in your new home.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:59 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
The agents are trying to solve a problem before coming to you and asking for a delay. I get that you think they were sneaking around behind your back, but when agents talk about things like this at the office, it's usually casual as in "Do you think your buyer would be OK with..."

Remember that nothing is real in real estate until it is in writing and signed. If you don't want to do it, say no. If you like the house, keep with the contract, if you don't, move on. Your relationship with the seller's agent will last a month or two, and then that person is gone and you are living in your new home.
"...I was fuming-my realtor was fuming-..."

I read it differently than two agents working together. I spy, with my little eye, an "end run."

Old 05-08-2012, 06:04 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
The OP has an accepted contract. If she wants to accept new terms, she can. If not, she doesn't have to. I still don't see the outrage.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
The OP has an accepted contract. If she wants to accept new terms, she can. If not, she doesn't have to. I still don't see the outrage.

I guess it just felt sneaky-I'm kind of glad she did it in a way b/c now my lawyer will put in the contract a penalty/daily if they dont close by a certain date-if they dont want to sign that then we will reconsider-

Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Because the buyer of their home isn't party to the contract. It was inappropriate for the seller's agent to bypass the agent. It is up to the OP's agent to do any negotiating and problem solving related to their contract.

The behavior of the seller's agent isn't ok in my book. Doesn't matter how casual it is and it doesn't matter if the buyer's of the OP's house is okay with a delay. The OP isn't and they are the party involved in the contract.

It is unprofessional.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Unless that house was a true gem, I would probably walk away from it. That would be enough for me to have zero trust in the other agent and certainly not want to reward that with a sale.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:05 AM

936 posts, read 2,202,667 times
In our state that would subject the agent to disciplanary action due to violating confidentiality of the client.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah View Post
In our state that would subject the agent to disciplanary action due to violating confidentiality of the client.

what state are you? this happened in ny?

Old 05-09-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Unless that house was a true gem, I would probably walk away from it. That would be enough for me to have zero trust in the other agent and certainly not want to reward that with a sale.

Believe me, I would love to but the house really fits are needs and no other like it is available-time is not on our side. Of course, we will see what comes up between now and contract signing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate