Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:08 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,035,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Why would something as detached from Kildaire Farm Road in Cary as worrying about foreclosure rates in Las Vegas, or South Florida take priority over client service?
Should I plot bond futures and read frothy prognostications, or send a client who wishes to buy a home to a great lender? The latter is better service, I think.

I worked with a guy once who said the job is to do the job, not to "get lost in the corn flakes in your mind." He was pretty focused.
Obsessing about every negative and barely cogent unsupported piece of news, as so many "big picture, industry" obsessors prefer to do, whether it is applicable to what I see daily or not is not healthy, and would not be good client service.
I think some people fail to see the trees, because they are so concerned about the forest.

I just might be onto something. It seems that most complaints about real estate agents center around failure to make client service the first priority.
You might, but I'll ignore the temptation for ostrich analogies...

It's all good until it isn't - or - it is what it is... I get it. But don't lump people who care about what is happening around them (whether it be our government's policies or simple things like oil rig explosions in the Gulf) with all the 2012 Mayan calendar conspiracy types. It's not the same although you care to insinuate it is.

You can call it "client" and "tree" focused while others simply call it NIMBY... There is a balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 01:17 PM

43,334 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You might, but I'll ignore the temptation for ostrich analogies...

It's all good until it isn't - or - it is what it is... I get it. But don't lump people who care about what is happening around them (whether it be our government's policies or simple things like oil rig explosions in the Gulf) with all the 2012 Mayan calendar conspiracy types. It's not the same although you care to insinuate it is.

You can call it "client" and "tree" focused while others simply call it NIMBY... There is a balance.
Fine.
A feller calls me while I am reading the financial section, and says, "I want to buy a house."
Now, say I missed the financials yesterday, and I just opened the paper.
So, for the sake of "balance," I should say, "Sorry. I'm (playing ostrich) reading the news?"

I would suggest that it would be ostrich-like in practicality to ignore business going on around me and assume no one has a housing need that can be served with my expertise just because the talkers on CNBC cannot come to consensus on the current economic climate. They NEVER can, and obsessing over the news to the point of analysis paralysis would mean millions would starve to death or die of exposure.
I'm here to save the world, not to worry it to death.

BTW, NIMBY is kind of a non sequitor, I think.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,035,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Fine.
A feller calls me while I am reading the financial section, and says, "I want to buy a house."
Now, say I missed the financials yesterday, and I just opened the paper.
So, for the sake of "balance," I should say, "Sorry. I'm (playing ostrich) reading the news?"

I would suggest that it would be ostrich-like in practicality to ignore business going on around me and assume no one has a housing need that can be served with my expertise just because the talkers on CNBC cannot come to consensus on the current economic climate. They NEVER can, and obsessing over the news to the point of analysis paralysis would mean millions would starve to death or die of exposure.
I'm here to save the world, not to worry it to death.

BTW, NIMBY is kind of a non sequitor, I think.
No no no! Your first mistake is reading the paper - but I digress...

You're taking things so literally as to try and prove your point - please don't be obtuse. Frankly it's getting so predictable at this point I could almost start to play you in this debate... "I listen" "I care" "I put my client first" "I am open and honest". Heck, listening to you one wonders how there's so many bad agents out there.

For the record - I don't suggest you stop servicing your clients. I am asking what you do to service your future clients' (the ones you didn't meet yet) needs. I ask this in the context of the US entering into a very dire time economically and I ask it in context to this thread... "Good advice for Buyers and Sellers in today's market".

and yes, NIMBY is tongue in cheek.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:41 PM

43,334 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:
No no no! Your first mistake is reading the paper - but I digress...

You're taking things so literally as to try and prove your point - please don't be obtuse. Frankly it's getting so predictable at this point I could almost start to play you in this debate... "I listen" "I care" "I put my client first" "I am open and honest". Heck, listening to you one wonders how there's so many bad agents out there.

For the record - I don't suggest you stop servicing your clients. I am asking what you do to service your future clients' (the ones you didn't meet yet) needs. I ask this in the context of the US entering into a very dire time economically and I ask it in context to this thread... "Good advice for Buyers and Sellers in today's market".

and yes, NIMBY is tongue in cheek.
So, Case Shiller are not in the paper?

I AM taking things literally. It is a good way to stay on topic in a forum where folks are tempted by any tangent.
I don't know why contact with an honest agent would be such a frustration to anyone, and probably can't help you there. I agree, if it is just scripted for convenience, it can be a very simple script.

For my future clients, I try to stay current with all agency rules and regs, to develop my skills, and to continue to learn about my community. I offer information freely. I offer community profiles to them for review for free.
I am a home and real estate guy, and somewhat of an expert in my local area.
But, I do not market myself as an investment adviser, financial guru, economic egghead, etc. Nor do I consider myself a "nattering nabob of negativity," a characteristic some "Big Picture" folks consider a desirable qualification to work as an agent.

Other than some MLS stuff, consumers have access to all the economic news and financial trends that you and I do. I do not insult them by thinking they are so dull that they all need me to read the news to them and interpret it.
When a consumer has determined they want to buy a home, or sell a home, I am ready to serve. That is what I am trained and licensed for. Where is the hole in that approach?

Old 09-02-2010, 01:45 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times
MikeyKid - I have to say you lost me. What is it that you actually expect? Let's pretend you are an agent for a moment.

Now answer your own question. What would you be doing to service your future clients?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:36 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,588,701 times
Quote:
Fair enough - would you argue that all your peers do as well?

How about the monthly industry reports from MLS? Are those validated against tax records?
Any reporting service that does not validate their data is taking a major risk with the integrity of their reports. Any database is only as good as the information put in - garbage in, garbage out. Agents can and do make mistakes when updating the MLS.

Here is what a local RE analysis service that I subscribe to does to validate their data:
Quote:
A large part of the data is derived from the database of the Arizona Regional Multiple Listing Service (ARMLS). However this is not used directly since it includes a large amount of data which has not been validated. Fields such as City, ZIP, Parcel, COE Date, SF, County, List Price, Sale Price, Status, Special Listing Conditions, etc. are all checked and modified where they are found to be incorrect before being used for the Cromford Report statistics. Well over 100,000 fields have been corrected so far in our version of the database. This is why statistics in the Cromford Report are much more accurate than those shown elsewhere. We also use county records from Maricopa and Pinal counties, such as deeds recorded and affidavits of value, together with the assessor's databases. In addition we collect foreclosure data including Notices of Trustee Sale, Cancellations of Trustee Sale and the Trustee Sales themselves. US Postal Service records are used in the validation process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate