Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:48 PM

61 posts, read 387,866 times

Advertisements

We are in escrow for a house (first-time homebuyer). The house appraised for selling price (we offered very slightly above asking), but the home inspector found a good amount of issues. The most concerning have to do with the attic structure not being strong enough to hold the weight of the roof (missing/damaged purlins and other supports). We were told that there is definitely a risk of collapse due to this. It is an older home with a lot of other issues that come with an older home (electrical, plumbing, original furnace, etc.), but mostly stuff we expected.

We did a repair/credit request for just the structural issues based on the inspection report and the low-end of contractor quotes that ended up being a bit more than 1% of the purchase price. We didn't think it was unreasonable, but the seller's agent has been giving our agent a hard time over it and threatening to go to back-up offers. Being a first-time buyer, I don't know if I'm being unreasonable, but I don't think I am. I want my family to be safe in the house and the price we offered assumed that the roof wasn't going to collapse on us any minute. We haven't heard back from them yet, but I was just curious what you guys thought.

Thanks.

(We are in California, if that makes a difference)

Last edited by WRXFlyer; 10-08-2010 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:17 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Sounds reasonable to me.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:38 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times
It sounds reasonable to me, too. One thing on your side is that the sellers now know about a significant health and safety defect with their house. If they don't close with you, they'll have to disclose it to other buyers. If they're not certified idiots, it's something that they won't want to do because it will only frighten away other buyers or cause even lower bids.

One danger is that you'll give in on such a major issue. It's a trap that too many buyers, especially first time buyers, fall into. They love the house and let their emotions rule instead of realizing that it's just a house. It's not your child. Economics and reality should rule, not emotions and blinders.

Think about it. Why would you want to accept the responsibility and the dire consequences of such a major defect? Don't do it! You'll regret it later. I promise!

Just remember that the house you're bidding isn't the only one in the world. There will always be another one for you if the sellers insist on being stupid and selling their house with an unrepaired major health and safety issue - one which they can no longer claim ignorance.

Today is a buyers market, so be sure to use it to your advantage instead of caving in to the other side's bravado. They have very weak legs to stand on and you have everything on your side. You have the money and now you have the power with the discovery of their defective product. Use it to your advantage.

Good luck and be sure to keep us advised!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
There are other houses. Stick to your request.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Thanks guys! This is very reassuring to me and I'm glad that we went through with the repair request. We are doing our best not the be emotional about it too. It has been very tough the last couple of weeks going from highs to lows and everything in between. I'll definitely keep you updated on what happens!

Old 10-09-2010, 12:13 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
I'd go farther. You need a licensed Structural Engineer (in your state possibly called Professional Engineer or PE) to evaluate it. Repair could be more difficult than the contractors think.

Here is just one example: sometimes the issue is not merely the actual structural elements but the order in which they were assembled together with specific bracing during the interim.

Moreover, when you resell the house, you might need to disclose the repair, and you want that repair to have been engineered correctly and the documentation for the engineering all be correct, and of course it needs to go through whatever "plan check" the local building department does, including stamps from licensed engineers evaluating it, etc.

If it were me, I'd strongly consider bailing on the house. You have no idea what can of worms might be opened once repairs are initiated.

I would personally never consider a house that had significant structural problems. If the remedy is, say, 1% of the price by lowest estimate, I wouldn't consider buying the house for less than 8% off. If I am to incur a risk, I must be compensated for that risk, and the compensation is NOT just the cost of repair.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:03 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times
SportyandMisty makes some very good points. I think you should pay attention the post.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:45 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

If it were me, I'd strongly consider bailing on the house. You have no idea what can of worms might be opened once repairs are initiated.

I would personally never consider a house that had significant structural problems. ...
Ditto. Some aspects may not be uncovered until the repairs start, and then who's going to pay for that?

One house I looked at didn't look bad from the outside, but inside was another story. An active water leak yielded a spongy subfloor in the bathroom and damaged sheetrock in the laundry room. The cheap fix is to replace the plywood sheeting and sheetrock, but how would I know whether the floor joists have been seriously damaged and/or how much mold has been growing? The answer is that I wouldn't, and faced with that aspect, I sure wasn't about to take a chance at any price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXFlyer View Post
Thanks guys! This is very reassuring to me and I'm glad that we went through with the repair request. We are doing our best not the be emotional about it too. It has been very tough the last couple of weeks going from highs to lows and everything in between. I'll definitely keep you updated on what happens!
As a buyer last year, yeah - there were high and low moments for me too. But stick to your principles, because after all is said and done, it's still your money.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:56 PM

Yeah, and there are a bunch of other issues that I did not talk about either. Couple of foundation cracks, notched foundation support beam, flues terminating in the attic, asbestos pipes, and non-working furnace at end of life as well. Total repairs based on the inspection report were 10% of the purchase price.

In any case, I think the seller's are likely to decline to make the repairs and the decision will be quite easy for me. Their agent seems like a grade A jerk and I think they may be under the impression that they can offload the house to another sucker. It'll be tough to lose the inspection and appraisal money, but in the end it will probably save me tens of thousands.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:41 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXFlyer View Post
It'll be tough to lose the inspection and appraisal money, but in the end it will probably save me tens of thousands.
That is exactly what the appraisal and inspection is for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate