Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:40 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times

Advertisements

And for the record: most land listings on ebay are scams. For instance it's common with Alaskan land to see fly in only bush land worth a few thousand at most listed for 3 or more times that "seller financed." Once the buyer catches on and stops paying the seller re-lists it, gets another downpayment and a few payments...

Elsewhere, such as up in Maine or Northern VT, I've seen land that's just logged over acres of stumps and a little scrub left behind to fool buyers being sold as woodland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
However, I would never buy land without a water source, and water rights is a big issue out there.
This is the biggest aspect. Electricity ... solar, wind, or geothermal? Waste ... septic tank. Communications ... there's PTP or satellite. Water ... if you don't have any, it'll have to be trucked in, and that gets real expensive, real fast.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:19 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,154,449 times
Don't let the cheap price lure you! I live in NM. There are many areas, particularly down south, especially around Deming, where acreage is dirt cheap. It's low desert, no water, no mineral rights, possibly uranium polluted, and a whole lot of rattlesnakes. Why on earth would you buy it? To hold onto for 50 years hoping the value will increase? Haven't you heard about the border problems? Northern NM is a better bet--even then, be careful, be very careful where you buy land! There are serious water and well issues throughout the state. By the way, I'm moving out of the Land of Entrapment asap! Wanna buy my property?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:49 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,340 times
West Virginia minus the trees=New Mexico. Check out the Santa Cruz County, AZ Tax Sale. There are thousands of lots that have muni water on the street. Pay the taxes for three years and sue for quiet title. It's mostly a formality. The judge grants you a deed. The best lawyer charges an all inclusive fee of 2200 to file the suit and serve the notices. The sale is in February and is announced in www.nogalesinternational.com. And if you snickered at Nogales, check out Tubac, Patagonia, Sonoita, and Elgin. All offer high quality living, and it's cooler in the Summer.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:27 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I have a deal for you. How about 140 acres near Fillmore California, with water, electric, gas, and a 2,500 square foot home that was remodeled five years ago. About 60 acres are citrus that brings an income. You can get this place for $600,000 and that is a deal. To compare, you could buy a home in the city of fillmore that is close to 2,500 squre feet and it will cost you $300,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate